GPS Issues

CrunchyDoodle

Feb 16, 2011
GPS does not work well indoors. Even a wood framed house blocks most of the signal, while a concrete and steel building blocks it completely. That's why the WiFi location is kind of nice. So, are you indoors or outside with a clear view of the sky and the weather is good? Even bad weather can disrupt GPS.

Bye.

CrunchyDoodle

Feb 16, 2011
OK, some clarity . . . . I will repeat that GPS does not work well indoors, and that is a generalization. My ASUS Transformer GPS will lock onto several satellites when I'm sitting in my home office (second level near a window) but cannot lock onto enough satellites for a good fix when I'm sitting downstairs on the living room couch (far from a window). This is better than my Garmin handheld GPS and way better than my Nokia N810 UMPC. In the office building where I work, cell phone reception and GPS function is nil except right next to a window. Your mileage may vary. :)

Bye. :cool:

mallen755

Jul 30, 2011
i am having problem with 2nd destination & return. it seems unable to find satilite. i hope we can get an answer. it works great adjusting to my using roads that not on map, but quits at destination. wwhen i get wyfi again it works.

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
i am having problem with 2nd destination & return. it seems unable to find satilite. i hope we can get an answer. it works great adjusting to my using roads that not on map, but quits at destination. wwhen i get wyfi again it works.

See my post in your other thread. Note that Google Maps needs a wifi signal to download map data and other route info on the fly. Once you set a route it will download that data via WiFi and cache it on the device. If it your next destination had not been pre-fetched during your first routing (i.e., if your next destination is significantly far from your previous destination) google will need a data connection to download it. If you are not going to have WiFi data during your trip, you can pre-fetch map data by selecting multiple destinations from your original destination and let google maps cache it. This is similar to functionality on a more traditional GPS where ALL the map data is stored on your device. The drawback of the more traditional GPS approach is the need for internal storage space to hold all the map data and the fact that the map data becomes rapidly out of date, necessitating a purchase of updated maps. There are pros and cons to both approaches as you can see.

leeteam

Jun 10, 2012
"...pre-fetch map data by selecting multiple destinations from your original destination and let google maps cache it."

How do you do this? Is it done on Google Maps or Google Navigation?

Thanks for your help.