GPS on a Nook Color? Why not?

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
First of all it would be awesome if we found out it was possible to put a GPS chip/sensor internally and activate it but I won't hold my breath. However....

I've seen USB GPS antennas' so I'm wondering if its feasible to find a USB adapter so that a standard USB port could connect to the Nook. (Maybe even a split one so you don't lose the standard port.) Then of course just the proper software program to install on the Nook. Any ideas?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
From the breakdowns I have seen, I don't know where you would put it on the current board.

I am not sure the USB port can work like that on the NC but it would be nice if it did>

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Really, bluetooth is the answer here as well. If we can get the BT ship active and stable, you could 'tether' a bluetooth gps ant to the NC and have turn-by-turn.

On that note however, you already CAN tether your cell phone to the device and use it's wifi for turn-by-turn. :)

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
I've thought about writing an app to make something like this kinda doable. What would happen is that you would tether (via Wifi) to your phone and your phone would publicly broadcast on that wifi network GPS data while an app on your tablet would consume that data and inject it into the Mock Locations interface.

That said, I don't know if Mock Locations is possible on the NC or other tablets. Until I get one, I'll have no clue if this is possible. It's all theoretical at this time, but I THINK should be doable fairly easily.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
Google maps on my nook seems to be able to find my general location when using my phones as an internet point. Not very accurate but close. Kind of like turning off the gps on your phone and only using the towers.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
thats cause google can use gps or wifi location to pinpoint. with gps its pretty close. with wifi it's only tower close (iirc)