Gps problem

WXMAN

Nov 29, 2010
So the a500 was not fixing on satellites. It would see them but would only rarely achieve a lock...though it DID work sometimes. Anyway, in an effort to improve the situation I ran the GPS tool app and used the clear cache function. Now the GPS does not work at all. It sees no satellites, ever. Reset to factory default did nothing. Any ideas?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Get the GPS Test app if you don't already have it- https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest
Move the A500 outdoors with a clear view of the sky- but still within range of your wifi connection. It can take up to 10min to start finding sats and maybe another 10 min or longer to lock on the first time. Again- make sure you're outdoors with a clear view of the sky- but still within (and connected to) wifi network.
If that doesn't work maybe you have a defective unit. If you're outdoors and still not enough signal to lock after a reasonable period- there's no situation available better then those conditions and it will never work.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The Acer has an Assisted GPS. The assisted part means that it gets a either (1) a rough location, and/or (2) satellite schedules and frequencies (almanac data) on which the GPS should listen.

But unlike your smartphone, it can only get assistance from your router. It uses the mac address of your router to look up its location.

It uses location data on Google's site, (the stuff they gathered with Street View cars) to locate your Router, and other Routers that it can see from your location.

If :
  • Google Has no location information for your router, or
  • They have data but it is wrong or
  • Your tablet can see multiple routers and some of those have wrong location data
  • Your router is not offering a time service or your Acer Clock is wrong (by a lot)
  • You have not set Location and Security (in settings) to allow use of WIFI
  • You have not set Automatic Date / Time (in settings) to allow setting clock from network

...Then the assist provided by the Router may actually be counter productive, and slowing your tablet's GPS down.

So check all those settings, then set it in the window, or go out side as the prior poster mentioned.

Some have reported that the GPS is less sensitive than their smartphones, and takes longer for a fix. But I found mine usually gets a fix instantly. Building construction has a lot of bearing on how quickly it can find satellites. Wood construction isn't too bad, but concrete and steel make it pretty difficult.

See the post labeled "Best Answer" here: Despite fixing router location online using MAC address, WiFi devices still show up 3000 miles off on Latitude - Google Mobile Help for some hints on how you can perhaps educate Google's database about the exact location of your router. You might be able to do this with a smartphone running on WiFi. All you really need is for them to get a better position on where the routers visible to your tablet are located so that they can provide better hints to the aGPS in the phone.

WXMAN

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks, my real issue is the GPS DID work, just not well, until I used the GPS tool app and cleared the GPS cache, then the GPS died entirely. Even a hard reset did not help!

robdroid

May 4, 2011
The Acer has an Assisted GPS. The assisted part means that it gets a either (1) a rough location, and/or (2) satellite schedules and frequencies (almanac data) on which the GPS should listen.

But unlike your smartphone, it can only get assistance from your router. It uses the mac address of your router to look up its location.

It uses location data on Google's site, (the stuff they gathered with Street View cars) to locate your Router, and other Routers that it can see from your location.

If :
  • Google Has no location information for your router, or
  • They have data but it is wrong or
  • Your tablet can see multiple routers and some of those have wrong location data
  • Your router is not offering a time service or your Acer Clock is wrong (by a lot)
  • You have not set Location and Security (in settings) to allow use of WIFI
  • You have not set Automatic Date / Time (in settings) to allow setting clock from network

...Then the assist provided by the Router may actually be counter productive, and slowing your tablet's GPS down.

So check all those settings, then set it in the window, or go out side as the prior poster mentioned.

Some have reported that the GPS is less sensitive than their smartphones, and takes longer for a fix. But I found mine usually gets a fix instantly. Building construction has a lot of bearing on how quickly it can find satellites. Wood construction isn't too bad, but concrete and steel make it pretty difficult.

See the post labeled "Best Answer" here: Despite fixing router location online using MAC address, WiFi devices still show up 3000 miles off on Latitude - Google Mobile Help for some hints on how you can perhaps educate Google's database about the exact location of your router. You might be able to do this with a smartphone running on WiFi. All you really need is for them to get a better position on where the routers visible to your tablet are located so that they can provide better hints to the aGPS in the phone.
Excellent post Ice! Should be in the faq's.
Gave you a thanks...

Last edited:

greg

May 31, 2011
I too thought I had a GPS problem, for days. It turns out to be user error. I went from not being able to find any satellites, to it finding 9 within 10 sec with excellent fixes and compass performance.

Here is how:
> Downloaded 'GPS Status & Toolbox' from Android market, as mentioned by another member, csoren, in 'A500 issues' area.
> I activated 'Use GPS Satellites" and checked 'Use Wireless Router ' under Settings, Location & Security
> I opened the application GPS Status & Toolbox.
> I put my A500 in a south facing window with good view up to the sky, tilting it up to 45 deg to flat. Seems to get signals better tilted up...may be my mind.

That was it. Within 10 minutes it was tracking 9 satellites and in subsequent checks the acquisition & fix was within 12 seconds. Returning the unit is maybe not the right solution, as many are suggesting. I think it is simply a matter of doing the initial sync right, as the guys above (and other threads) have pointed out.
For what it is worth...

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
So can the GPS be used in a car? I mean if I don't have a way to get a wifi connection while I'm driving, does that mean I can't use the GPS?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
So can the GPS be used in a car? I mean if I don't have a way to get a wifi connection while I'm driving, does that mean I can't use the GPS?
Yes, it works better in the car than it does indoors and does not require wifi.
For navigation you need a program that contains internal pre-downloaded maps like Copilot (paid app) or Mapdroid (free app).

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Yes you can use it for simple navigation in the car, and you don't need anything but what came with the tablet.

If you use Google maps (and who doesn't) you can just put in your destination and hit the directions button, and it will launch Google Navigation with spoken turn by turn directions.

It will cache the maps you need for the entire route. It will guide you there with voice and map images. You have to do this before you leave wifi area.

But if you want to use this routinely, and you don't always start in a wifi zone, you will need a mapping package that holds maps and a good car charger.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
All that post addresses is the need for an accurate clock source.

You should have your tablet get its time from the network in settings. But you also should set your router to be a time server and to fetch its time from a reliable atomic clock, or from a pool source. If you get the router operating correctly all machines on the wifi will have their clocks set correctly.

Don't rely on your ISP's time source. Some are good but many don't even bother sync them with any clock source.

There is really no point in hacking your tablet for this if you just get your time set correctly from your router.

pamorrisvt

Aug 14, 2011
I too thought I had a GPS problem, for days. It turns out to be user error. I went from not being able to find any satellites, to it finding 9 within 10 sec with excellent fixes and compass performance.

Here is how:
> Downloaded 'GPS Status & Toolbox' from Android market, as mentioned by another member, csoren, in 'A500 issues' area.
> I activated 'Use GPS Satellites" and checked 'Use Wireless Router ' under Settings, Location & Security
> I opened the application GPS Status & Toolbox.
> I put my A500 in a south facing window with good view up to the sky, tilting it up to 45 deg to flat. Seems to get signals better tilted up...may be my mind.

That was it. Within 10 minutes it was tracking 9 satellites and in subsequent checks the acquisition & fix was within 12 seconds. Returning the unit is maybe not the right solution, as many are suggesting. I think it is simply a matter of doing the initial sync right, as the guys above (and other threads) have pointed out.
For what it is worth...

That's all well and fine and it seems to work at first. But then you realize you have to run the fix app every time, outside, for 15 -30 minutes before you will be using Google Maps is out of the question. I have an iPad and when I click GPS it is instant without trying all these workarounds to "make it work". I am sending for a replacement and if the replacement works, then great. If not, then Acer will be giving me my money back for this garbage. Other vendors are more than happy to give me a working GPS.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
But then you realize you have to run the fix app every time, outside, for 15 -30 minutes before you will be using Google Maps is out of the question.

My Google Maps locks to my location instantly. Within 2 seconds max. I've used none of the special apps. This tablet has never been outside.
I think you over state the problem.