Great Nook Color restore to defaults tool

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Cool, nice find

.... although CWR will do this for you as well. In the main menu, the "wipe data and factory reset" will take you back to unrooted 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, which ever version you had installed last.

IMAG0219.jpg

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
Cool, nice find

.... although CWR will do this for you as well. In the main menu, the "wipe data and factory reset" will take you back to unrooted 1.0.0 or 1.0.1, which ever version you had installed last.

IMAG0219.jpg

Did you actually do it this way?
My understanding is that it will not but I was wrong before :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Did you actually do it this way?
My understanding is that it will not but I was wrong before :)

Actually I have used it already on the NC when I was working with the new kernels and ran into endless loops. Though there was no other option, and was going to do the 8 reset trick. So before that I decided to see what the CWR's factory rest would do. Had nothing to loose, so gave it a try. It will wipe the internal storage and take you back to default. I had already upgraded to 1.0.1 so it took mine back to there. After boot, I had to re-reg and the whole nine yards. I was unrooted and no apps installed. See here for the whole Rico's new kernel mess up/fix/restore/success story: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...cked-kernel-avaiable-nookcolor.html#post33704

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
I did, the reason I'm asking again is that it doesn't work for me
My screen stops responding ( have to turn it off and back on again)
also on first two boots I didn't have WIFI, that's working now.
I did wipe my cache partition upon installing the kernel so I'm not sure what's wrong.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I did, the reason I'm asking again is that it doesn't work for me
My screen stops responding ( have to turn it off and back on again)
also on first two boots I didn't have WIFI, that's working now.
I did wipe my cache partition upon installing the kernel so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Hmm. Well my NC can run all three kernels (900, 950 & 1Ghz) fine but 1Ghz is has peaks of slowness, where I believe it downclocks to maintain stability. On some test, it benches slower than the "Screamer 950mhz) kernel.

-Wipe then flash
*Make sure you wipe both cache while in CWR: cache partition and dalvik cache (under advance menu). And I believe the dalvik cache is the more important one to wipe.

lifeisfun

Jan 1, 2011
I did wipe both but no joy :(
900MHz runs perfect without problems.
If I have some time I'll do complete reset and I'll try again :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Well not all cpus are created equal and according to those on xda, experiences, results and stability with these kernels vary. Are you on b&n software 1.0.1?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Unfortunatelly yes :(
My serial # starts 2005XXXXXX

Is there differences in serial numbers?

There is more to what a kernel does besides unlocking mhz limits so I wouldn't get discouraged if these kernels don't work for you. There will be many more overclocking kernels down the road. Your cpu may need a touch more voltage

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I hope you're right :)

Remember the author of these new kernels said he decreased the voltage lower than stock for more power savings. I understand his thinking. Since the kernels overclock to 900, 950 and 1ghz, and would naturally use more power, by lowering the voltage, the cpu overclocked would result in about the same power usage as stock. Unfortunately, it seems and only makes sense, some people needed that extra voltage to be stable at those overclocked speeds.

Sent from my NOOKcolor using the Android Tablets Forum App