"green android icon holding a yellow triangle with an exclamation point"

atulbadani

Aug 9, 2011
ICONIA TAB A500- HONEYCOMB 3 (UPDATED TO 3.1 ON SUNDAY 7/8/2011)

then following an update (14+ mb) monday morning (8/8/2011).
The device appears to be working - it boots, it connects to my wireless, but it sits on the lock screen and will not do anything.
Touch screen it completely unresponsive.
and it shows that there is only 15% battery life left, no matter how long i charge it.

i tried the power button/ -volume reset, but i would end up getting a "green android icon holding a yellow triangle with an exclamation point".

what do i do now? its stuck and there is no way to reset it, hard or soft resets arent working.
please please help ?

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I would try a factory reset.
Since you can't do it through settings, you need to do the following.

1. Switch off
2. Press Vol-up + Power
3. If display goes on: Release power but hold vol-up
3. Toggle Lock switch (On>Off>On>Off)

Screen will display:

Erasing Userdata..
Erasing Cache..

HD87

May 14, 2011
Holding the Power & - Volume button does not do a reset. It boots into recovery mode..
If going into recovery mode prompts you with the ! & triangle & you cannot boot up,
try the factory reset by doing what frnkws suggested. If that doesn't work..
Then your going to need to find either the Update (14 MB), If you know what the build number was would be best..
&/or if that doesn't work a ROM similar to your original build ex. (4.010.07_COM_GEN1),
download it to your PC, rename to update.zip, upload to an external SD card, insert SD card into tablet,
Hold Power & - Vol buttons, which will boot into RECOVERY MODE & install the update.zip

Last edited:

visa04

Aug 23, 2011
I would try a factory reset.
Since you can't do it through settings, you need to do the following.

1. Switch off
2. Press Vol-up + Power
3. If display goes on: Release power but hold vol-up
3. Toggle Lock switch (On>Off>On>Off)

Screen will display:

Erasing Userdata..
Erasing Cache..

I tried this and as soon as it booted up to the Android System it said power off shutting down. Now it has been stuck on shutting down for 20 mins and I didn't even have it shut down. I just simply did what you said. Did I do something wrong?

HD87

May 14, 2011
What led to attempt this type of reset, could you not go to Settings: Privacy: Factory data reset? If so, why?
Try a soft reset by clicking the hole on side of the tab with a paperclip. What's it doing now? be specific.

npena

Aug 24, 2011
im having the exact same problem. the issue is that i cant mess with any of the software settings because i now boot INTO the shutdown screen.... i can get in to the settings menu, but not change anything. Acer tech support was useless, and want me to mail it back after trying all of the reset modes.

Ive tried loading a recovery.zip that is popular in the "unbrick you iconia" threads on the net. but it just shows me that android !mark pic OP talked about... i wonder if its my SD card, but tablet saw it before when i had it in a usb adapter.

ive never had to use factory recovery modes... but same thing happens when i load it with or w/o a sd card installed. though a bar under the android takes longer to fill before giving me the exclamation mark. either way, no menus of anything useful appear.

HD87

May 14, 2011
Try this at your OWN RISK, if you haven't already..
Download this to a PC --> Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
Leave folder compressed.
Transfer update.zip to an external SD card.
Place external SD card into tablet.
Hold the Power & - Vol buttons till it reads Booting Recovery kernel image

Warning: If you haven't attempted this before & did not root your tablet.
If it's within warranty, send it to ACER.

Last edited:

npena

Aug 24, 2011
youve saved me bro...

it seems the issue is that the zip files i had sucked ass. the one you suggested rocked!

visa04

Aug 23, 2011
What led to attempt this type of reset, could you not go to Settings: Privacy: Factory data reset? If so, why?
Try a soft reset by clicking the hole on side of the tab with a paperclip. What's it doing now? be specific.

I did the factory data reset because my tab wouldn't slide into the unlock position after it did an update on the 23rd. I did try the soft reset many times before doing the factory data reset. I was told by Acer that I would have to send it in. Should I do what you stated in the above post? I really don't want to send it in.

npena

Aug 24, 2011
no one here can tell you what to do. there are risks involved, though small, in doiing this. make sure your zip files are NOT corrupted before you start.

its such a simple process, i cant imagine anyone not being able to do it. Just remember, LEAVE IT ALONE if it looks like it has frozen. it looked like if froze foe about 10-20 seconds, and i almost pressed the power button.

but then i recalled that is what brought me here in the first place

visa04

Aug 23, 2011
I think that is what brought me here too...I think I shut it down before I was suppose to.