Greetings and a Request for Assistance

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Indeed and I am glad you asked. The indicator has been functioning normally as far as I can tell but the weird thing is I I leave it unplugged for a while without messing with it at all (i been in and out all day) when I plug it back in it takes a while for it to turn green. You follow? Some thing seems to be draining the battery even when it is not on. Or at least doesn't appear to be on. I haven't messed with it in a bit, I have two pcs to build so I kinda got my hands full. Actually I took a couple pictures of the tech wasteland I am in teh middle of right now and when I have an extra hand( all four are busy right now and my hover boots are in the shop) I will upload them so you guys can have a laugh. Sorry for the ramble been a long day.

Ok, my recommendation is to remove any sd cards, plug in the charger and let it sit for 2 hours. Should give a base charge. Sounds like you have time for that break. Check back after.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hello again all. I'm back and ready to give it another go. Had a crazy stressful day yesterday but now have the time to try and tackle this problem head-on. That is if anyone has any new suggestions. My NC has been plugged in and charged -green n- since last night. It still does not power up at all. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread as well as a few others and have had zero luck. If anyone out there can give me further direction to try and recover my brick I am all ears. Alternately if you know for any other specific forums I should look at please let me know. I am a member at XDA but searching through all of the forums over there can be a little daunting. So again here I am on bended knee reaching out with an open mind hoping someone can help me fix my brick. Thanks in advance.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Hello again all. I'm back and ready to give it another go. Had a crazy stressful day yesterday but now have the time to try and tackle this problem head-on. That is if anyone has any new suggestions. My NC has been plugged in and charged -green n- since last night. It still does not power up at all. I have tried all the suggestions in this thread as well as a few others and have had zero luck. If anyone out there can give me further direction to try and recover my brick I am all ears. Alternately if you know for any other specific forums I should look at please let me know. I am a member at XDA but searching through all of the forums over there can be a little daunting. So again here I am on bended knee reaching out with an open mind hoping someone can help me fix my brick. Thanks in advance.

At this point I can't remember what we have and haven't suggested, but I would start with this thread over at XDA:
[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers

And I would also read through:
[ADV][DEV][STOCK IMAGE]Nook 1.01 stock dd images - xda-developers

Take a few minutes and skim through both. There are a few mentions of folks with a 'not powering on' situation that they eventually got out of. From all my reading, you have essentially killed the /boot partition and thus get nothing when you power on. There are a few ways to restore that, I would start with the simple methods first and work your way into the rest if nothing works.

Another possibility is that your screen is dead. Maybe it IS booting to something but you just can't SEE it. If this is the case, I would try creating the CWR bootable with monsterroot ([RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.7 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (1.1 Compatible!) - xda-developers). And ask in that thread if someone can give you a button by button step-by-step from power on to reboot so you can try the steps blindfolded (ie - with a broken screen). Long shot, but who knows.

Finally, I am working on a one-stop uSD image that can fix the worst /boot issues. I'll try to get something together, but in the meantime try the above threads. Even if you've done them already, it's a fresh day and you never know.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hey thanks Faceman. I will follow though on the above threads at xda. It's funny cuz it occurred to me that the screen might be out ant that I was actually booting and just couldn't see it. At this point I am going to go step-by-step through a couple of the recovery removal instructions and take my time. I still am curious about when I burn the recovery/removal image I can't copy any other files to the sd. My pc says it needs to be formatted. This is a problem because I can't get the stock zip on there. Anyway off to keep trying. Or rather over to xda first and see if anyone can walk me through this. And again Faceman Thanks! I'm a big A-Team fan btw. Not to give too much away about how much of an old man I am I saw every episode of the original series when it premiered. Yeah I'm old.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Hey thanks Faceman. I will follow though on the above threads at xda. It's funny cuz it occurred to me that the screen might be out ant that I was actually booting and just couldn't see it. At this point I am going to go step-by-step through a couple of the recovery removal instructions and take my time. I still am curious about when I burn the recovery/removal image I can't copy any other files to the sd. My pc says it needs to be formatted. This is a problem because I can't get the stock zip on there. Anyway off to keep trying. Or rather over to xda first and see if anyone can walk me through this. And again Faceman Thanks! I'm a big A-Team fan btw. Not to give too much away about how much of an old man I am I saw every episode of the original series when it premiered. Yeah I'm old.

Well there are a couple of different recovery images to be burned, some are larger than others and allow more "/sdcard" directory space. What i would focus on is the bootable CWR sd, because if you can get that barebones guy to work, we can help you with ADB and getting everything else worked out.

And I am not old enough for A-Team premiers, but I watched them all on tv when you had to get up to change the channel still. And I enjoyed the new movie as well.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Def. the movie was on point. Hysterical. My issue with the sd isn't space I bought a 8gb c4 sdhc yesterday but everytime I image it, my pc wants to reformat it, doesn't recognize it. I am mildly suspicious that it may be a glitch in w7x64. Which is on my lappy. I am just now finishing the pc I started building yesterday(don't ask it has been a hassle coupled with a burden). It is dual win7x86, Ubuntu. So if I keep having issues with my laptop I will try one of those arrangements. To tell you the truth I want to get back to my poor NC right this second but I gotta finish a few other things first. I have been trying to gather as much intel from as many informed sources as possible before I steel myself for fix it or bust. Thanks Again.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Yeah thanks for reminding me of this one. I am going to try this out first and foremost.

Of course Godfather II just started, I've got a pc to finish building, my nook is bricked, my lips are chapped, my car's a Nova.....

TeeHee.

OK, first off, my pc is a Win7.64 as well. I am using Win32DiskImager (64bit version) to create the bootable uSD. Depending on the image, it will be formatted into whatever size the image file dictates. It doesn't matter what size card it is. I just created a CWR bootable sd from this file, I am using a 4gb Lexar card and after creating the image my pc only see's a 128mb drive labeled BOOT. That's OK, cause Win won't see the other partitions. I might be preaching to the choir here, but just wanted to state in case you didn't realize how the images were being created.

Second, G-II is awesome and deserves at least 5 solid minutes of total attention every 30 minutes or you don't deserve to be watching at all. :)

Third, pc builds can be done in your sleep I am sure.

Fourth, your nook will be working soon enough - allowing you to browse these forums AND watch Godfather at the same time.

Fifth, chapstick is your friend, I keep one in every car, and in my pocket at all times.

Sixth, well... i'm sorry.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ahahhahah!! Wow, right on! You just made my night. I can indeed build one (pc)in the dark. The chapped lips/Nova thing is from a Chris Farley SNL bit from waaaaay back. And I have my third eye squarely focused on GFII so that's no worries. I could probably recite every line from memory if called upon to do so.
But back to the SD card thing I am going to re-format and start from scratch in my pc. I just think for some reason I am missing some crucial step. One important question what if any format should the sd be b4 I winimage it?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Fat32

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
That is what I have been just checking. But here I am again, I just ran win32 burned the image and as soon as itis done and the sd shows up under my list of drives as soon as I click on it I get the "do you want to format drive H:" I click no and the a warning window pops up and says drive H: is unrecognizable to win 7 you must format this drive in order to utilize it. Round and round.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
And Faceman you are not preaching to the choir I thought I understood how these images are being burned but I have tried easily 20 ties with 4 different sds and the result has never been a drive labeled "boot" being listed under My Computer. I know cuz I just tried again and nada. Idk if the CWR image is corrupted or what but the dl is crawling right now so if you know of a mirror or a verified image somewhere that would be great. Again overwhelming gratitude for all the peeps who have been helping me along it really has been amazing. It is nice to enter a community and get support, hell just decent behavior is a lot to ask these days, so thanks. Quick edit when I open disk manager after the burn I see one big partition labeled RAW healthy, primary partition. No evidence of the image.

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok somewhat promising just plugged it my new build and pushed the power button, the driver window popped up and says "OMAP360" no driver found. Now I assume tis is a good thing cuz well at least my comp sees it. Right? There is currently no sd in the nc and the light indicates it is charging.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
And Faceman you are not preaching to the choir I thought I understood how these images are being burned but I have tried easily 20 ties with 4 different sds and the result has never been a drive labeled "boot" being listed under My Computer. I know cuz I just tried again and nada. Idk if the CWR image is corrupted or what but the dl is crawling right now so if you know of a mirror or a verified image somewhere that would be great. Again overwhelming gratitude for all the peeps who have been helping me along it really has been amazing. It is nice to enter a community and get support, hell just decent behavior is a lot to ask these days, so thanks. Quick edit when I open disk manager after the burn I see one big partition labeled RAW healthy, primary partition. No evidence of the image.

OK, here is the bootable CWR img I just downloaded and tested tonight. It works for me, let me know if it works for you.
http://www.daverozelle.com/nook/128mb_clockwork-0.7.tar.gz
That should show up as 7,171 KB in Win7. Unzip it and you should have a 122,880 KB .img file.

Format your Sd card as Fat32 and make sure you have full capacity for whatever card you are using.
Once you have that, open Win32DiskImager and select the 128mb_clockwork-0.7.img file and make sure it is writing to the proper drive letter for your sd card.

It will only take a minute and you should have a success.

??Have you been able to make ANY successful .img burns with Win32DiskImager?