Greetings and a Request for Assistance

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok followed instructions above what now. sdk is running nook is in clockwork and plugged into my pc, oh and I also have the recovery files/zips on hand as well.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, just to get things ready, the bootable sd that we made is only 128mb. Which is not big enough to put any of the real zip files we need to recover the nook. So you'll have to download one of the bigger image files. I am uploading to my server so you can download more easily, but I need to know if you were able to unpack the img fil or did you have to download the already unpacked file from me?

Let me change that... let me look back at what caused your trouble to begin with.

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I was finally able to unzip it all the way but which recovery files are you ul I have the stock nc recovery zip just couldn't get it on the sd

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I was finally able to unzip it all the way but which recovery files are you ul I have the stock nc recovery zip just couldn't get it on the sd

OK. Looking back at the thread you went from being stuck in the CWR boot loop to Black Screen. You never mentioned what you did in between there. I don't think it matters at this point however, cause we have you booting to CWR on the SD. Now we need to get the right zip on the SD with CWR so you can restore to stock.

What size SD card are you using?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
8gb class4, after burning the recovery it says I have roughly 120mb of space. Tried resizing etc w/epm but no go. so i need recovery zip smaller than 120mb. Another good sign, the nc is plugged into my pc and it shows 2 drives F:,H: waiting to be formatted. So that's good right?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, don't format anything! :)

Do you have the repartition-boot-with-stock.zip from [RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers If not, get it here: http://www.daverozelle.com/nook/repartition-boot-with-stock.zip

What you want to do first is recover the boot partition of your NC with the stock one above. Start by having the Nook turned off and disconnected from PC.
1. Remove the SD card from your NC
2. Place SD into your PC and open drive to see contents
3. Copy the above zip file to the SD card (do NOT unzip, just copy it to the card)
4. Remove SD from PC and place back into NC
5. Power on the NC and you should load into CWR
6. Install Zip:
a. install zip from sdcard
b. choose zip from sdcard
c. repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
7. Once complete, press and hold power button until Nook hard powers off.
8. Remove SDCARD
9. Power on....

...what do you have?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I have a really sexy slab of success, sort of. Flash seemed succesful I now have the floating n been hanging on that screen for a couple of minutes. I am guessing there is a next step my Jedininja like Sensei? So what's next. And uh THANK YOU!

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
OK, since it's still stuck, you have more than just boot partition issues. Lets work on a complete restore/factory recovery for you. Let's try something:

Go to this thread and download the Boot and System files. Follow the directions there and you should be back in business.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
PS - that thread assumes you have a bootable Froyo card. Do you know how to make one of those? Process is same as before, just download the img, create the card using Win32DI, boot off the SD card. This time though you will have an OS instead of CWR greet you. Connect via USB and then you can restore the Boot and System partitions of the internal. Once that's done, just power off the Nook, remove the sd card, power on and you should be at stock.

If so, proceed with caution. If not, let me know what you get.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Just so I get it clear; I have the boot + system files from above. I need to burn a nookie froyo img to the sd, boot from that and then what do I do with the boot/sys files in order to restore? that's where you lost me. I can burn the bootable sd, heck I'm an old pro at taht now. Just not clear on what to do w the others.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
ahh I think i git it unzip them onto the sd them boot into froyo and run the command in a shell. is that right?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Just so I get it clear; I have the boot + system files from above. I need to burn a nookie froyo img to the sd, boot from that and then what do I do with the boot/sys files in order to restore? that's where you lost me. I can burn the bootable sd, heck I'm an old pro at taht now. Just not clear on what to do w the others.

OK, you want to burn a bootable Froyo SD (you said you can do that)
Boot to the Froyo SD
Connect to your pc via USB (this should make the FroyoSd pop up as a new drive in Windows)
Open Folder to view files
Copy the Boot.img and System.img files to the /sdcard folder in the Froyo
Load up a command prompt and enter the adb commands:
Code:
dd if=/sdcard/boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
dd if=/sdcard/system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
Power down the nook
Remove the sd card
Power on ... what do you have?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok I am booted into the froyo sd and connected to my pc but I can only fit one of the files boot or sys. not enough room on he sd.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok I am booted into the froyo sd and connected to my pc but I can only fit one of the files boot or sys. not enough room on he sd.

hmmm... not real familiar with the options of Froyo images, but maybe there's a larger image?

otherwise, we can try a different recovery method.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Can I run them one at a time, boot first then the sys. Also do I run the adb cmd from my pc w the usb storage turned on. The boot file is 45mb the sys img is 450mb.