Greetings and a Request for Assistance

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Sorry but I am new to adb, I can rum stuff in a cmd window I just have not done alot with adb and don't exactly know what's req.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Can I run them one at a time, boot first then the sys. Also do I run the adb cmd from my pc w the usb storage turned on. The boot file is 45mb the sys img is 450mb.

Not sure about one at a time... you could try to dd one, unmount in Froyo, put sd in pc, swap files, put sd back into nook, mount the sd, dd second, power down, remove sd, power on.

What's worse that can happen? :)

You really don't have enough room on the /sdcard for both files? that's a small Froyo image.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Yeah nothing. I can copy the .boot onto the sd but that's all I can do with it. Again I am unclear on the adb commands. When and where they are to be run. On the nc or in a term on my pc. Currently just booted into nookie-froyo and holding steady.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
open a command prompt on the pc
type "adb devices" without the quotes
do you get an error or a message listing your device?

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
'adb is not a recognized as an internal or external command' I followed the install instructions on the wiki and have, now that you walked e through this, seen my Aria come up in the adb cmd shell. I know this must be driving you nuts unless you really genuinely enjoy helping people I can't stress how grateful I am. So no it doesn't show up in adb, sigh. what now. Is there a way to o any of this from a different boot image on sd?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
'adb is not a recognized as an internal or external command' I followed the install instructions on the wiki and have, now that you walked e through this, seen my Aria come up in the adb cmd shell. I know this must be driving you nuts unless you really genuinely enjoy helping people I can't stress how grateful I am. So no it doesn't show up in adb, sigh. what now. Is there a way to o any of this from a different boot image on sd?

slow down tonto... we can make this work.

Is your Aria connected to the pc? only one android device at a time please. :)

open a command promt
cd to the /platform-tools folder that was setup when you installed adb
try the "adb devices" again

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
You lost me on cd to the /platform. I open a cmd window and type what the file path to /platform tools. I tried that. nada. Please forgive me I am losing steam and with it a bit of focus. I really want to make this work and we have and tremendous progress but I am just frustrated. Not giving up just frustrated.
It occurred to me is there any way to do any of this with CWR. Just curious. Also why is the no way to structure the format of the sd so after I burn the image there is not some way to utilize that space. Its an 8GB card for flips sake.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You lost me on cd to the /platform. I open a cmd window and type what the file path to /platform tools. I tried that. nada. Please forgive me I am losing steam and with it a bit of focus. I really want to make this work and we have and tremendous progress but I am just frustrated. Not giving up just frustrated.
It occurred to me is there any way to do any of this with CWR. Just curious. Also why is the no way to structure the format of the sd so after I burn the image there is not some way to utilize that space. Its an 8GB card for flips sake.

I hear ya, its 2am for me and im about done for the evening. :)

I say you should take a break. We have at least accomplished that your nook is NOT dead and is very much able to be fixed up. First thing you need to accomplish now though is to completely follow the directions to get adb set up so you can use it. Follow the directions below and once you can successfully "see" your nook from adb, me or someone here can get you to the next step.
NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs

I'm going to have to call it here for today. I will check in with you after I get some sleep.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Thanks Again for all your help. I too am going to call it a night. I will get ADB square in the AM and make sure I am ready to pull the trigger before I hit the forum again. I mean it man I really can't say enough I would have been lost without your help and the most important thing is it is no longer a paperweight. I know there is a ton of info over at xda and elsewhere but sometimes the peeps over there can give you an unbelievably hard time as a noob so it is refreshing to have you and the others here step it up and assist me above and beyond the call of duty.
Believe me I will be here to help out any of the noobs after me and support the forum any way I can.

Good Night

Be Well.

LS

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Alright so here is where I'm; ADB is installed and working, recognizes my Aria. NC is booting from NFroyo on SD. When I plug the NC into my pc and run adb-devices it comes up blank. However in the device manager under drives I get 2 drives labeled "B&N EBook Disk USB". And two drives in "My Computer" that if I click on them it ask to insert a disk. I guess the next step is trying to get ADB to recognize my NC and then I can push the boot and system images. If there is anyone available to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

And massive thanks to Faceman to spending an inordinate amount of time last night getting me to where I am now. You are the man and I hope you got some sleep.

For the record I used this method for ADB NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs and followed all the troubleshooting tips but still don't see my nc in adb-devices.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Alright so here is where I'm; ADB is installed and working, recognizes my Aria. NC is booting from NFroyo on SD. When I plug the NC into my pc and run adb-devices it comes up blank. However in the device manager under drives I get 2 drives labeled "B&N EBook Disk USB". And two drives in "My Computer" that if I click on them it ask to insert a disk. I guess the next step is trying to get ADB to recognize my NC and then I can push the boot and system images. If there is anyone available to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

And massive thanks to Faceman to spending an inordinate amount of time last night getting me to where I am now. You are the man and I hope you got some sleep.

For the record I used this method for ADB NookColor USB ADB - nookDevs and followed all the troubleshooting tips but still don't see my nc in adb-devices.

LS - I'm not available but I know there is a thread here at AT.net where someone had to work to get their NC recognized... I'll try to find it and link it if I can before I have to take off again. I'm glad you are up and running (albeit from SD, but it's a damn fine ways from where we were last night huh?)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
You know it my man. I have been looking around the forum and hoping I can find something like that. I might post a quick ? but I don't want to split the threads. Saw your post about trying to get all the recovery stuff together. That's awesome. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.Thanks again for all your help. I will logged on all day if you find something let me know

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
So my issues were solved but the path to get there is too long to list here. If you are in despair and without hope don't worry. PM me and I will do anything I can to point you in the right direction. If I can't help you myself.

Last edited: