Greetings and Noob Apologies

Feng

Aug 23, 2013
Hello,

I am buying my first tablet and have no experience at all with Android products. I was originally looking for something just to read and watch movies on, and after enough research to break my brain box I decided on the
Google Nexus 7 tablet.

I like the VLC movie player for Windows and I wonder if their version for Android is a good one to try, or if it behaves at all like the Windows version. I'd also love to hear what your favorite apps are. General purpose computing, or anything special that you like that I might not find on my own right away.

I will be taking notes, reading downloaded books, watching movies, listening to music (I like Winamp in my windows world), I like to monkey with my music settings due to some hearing loss/nerve damage (not from listening to loud music, TYVM), playing games, and if typing is easy enough with the tiny keyboard, accessing facebook.

So ... if there's anything a new guy should know, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Feng

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Feng, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tablet. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. IMHO you made the right choice of tablet, but then I just got one myself and may be slightly prejudiced.:rolleyes:

To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android. If possible, fully charge the tablet before using it for the first time.

You'll find the instructions that come in the box are pretty much useless. They tell you how to charge it, how to turn it on and nothing else. The Google website instructions aren't much better.

However there's a pretty good manual in the library that comes on the tablet and you'll probably want to read that next. If you have any questions specific to your tablet after that, the Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) forum would be the place to ask them, After checking to see if they might have already been asked and answered of course.:)

As far as readers, players, apps etc. there are sections of the forum devoted to those things and you'd ask those questions in the appropriate sections.

BTW This isn't the sort of forum where you need to apologize for being a Noob. I like to think we're all Noobs here, some brand new to Android and some who've been here for a couple of years.:eek: Also, I've removed the email address from your post for privacy reasons. If anyone on the forum wishes to chat privately, they'll use the private message (PM) feature of the forum.

Enjoy your new tablet and the forum,
Spider

Feng

Aug 23, 2013
Thanks, Spider, for all the good info.

Sorry about leaving my website in the post, didn't know that was not allowed. It's just a little humor site I write/run.

I'm gonna go do some recommended reading.

Feng