Greetings, I am a new member, can someone guide me to rooting?

bigtw

Jun 4, 2012
Hello, I am new to the forum. My wife has a smartphone but I don't. I recently purchased a Visual Land Prestige 7 which has an ARM A8 processor and 4.0.3 ICS. I have successfully modded it with Google Play and Google Play works great now.

I am now interested in rooting it, performed a search and didn't see much about my device.

The reason I am interested in rooting it is to use the tablet to communicate with my car. My tablet has wifi, but no bluetooth.

In order to use a OBDII WIFI dongle, I have to have an "ad-hoc" capable tablet (iPad). It seems if I root my Android tablet,
I can install a wifi tethering application with ad-hoc abilities, which then could communicate with a wifi OBDII dongle plugged into my car's obdii port.

I have a usb OBDII cable, but my device does not seem to be able to communicate with it for some reason. I can use a mouse and keyboard with
my device, but a hardwired usb OBDII device does not seem to want to communicate with the tablet.

Any guidance to get me in the right direction for a set of instructions to root my specific device would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Travis

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Glad you decided to join us here Travis!

Hopefully someone who is familiar with this tablet can help you in how to root your device. In the mean time, have a look around at the forum and see if you come up with any other questions.

Cheers

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Travis, congratulations on your new Visual Land Prestige and welcome to the forum. That's a pretty new tablet you have, and I'm not sure if any work has been done to modify it yet. Hopefully someone familiar with that tablet will reply in the Discussions area that Frederuco moved you to with some information regarding rooting it etc. Good luck!

TarylD

Aug 3, 2012
Hello, I am new to the forum. My wife has a smartphone but I don't. I recently purchased a Visual Land Prestige 7 which has an ARM A8 processor and 4.0.3 ICS. I have successfully modded it with Google Play and Google Play works great now.

I am now interested in rooting it, performed a search and didn't see much about my device.

Travis

I can help with this. It has been 3 months since you posted but this is the first I saw your post. if you still have the tablet and haven't rooted it yet it is okay. Welcome to the tabletroms.com development community has a forum specifically for the Prestige 7. it is under allwinner tablets>visual land tablets>prestige 7. There you can find alot of info and helps with for this tablet. this seems to be the only site that has any help available for the prestige 7. I've looked and can't find anything else. if you view [h=3]
on youtube by tenniesnatux you will find he goes by Macktion on tabletroms.com, who is an admin of the site and responds to issues with visual tablets quite frequently. Another person on this site call Rabid1 also responds to issues with this tablet. anyway in the youtube video Macktion will tell you that the Prestige 7 comes rooted out of the box. Visual Land did good and rooted the tablet before the tablets are sent to the stores to sell. no rooting required it is already done for you.[/h]
There is also a clockwork mod on tabletroms.com that will work with the prestige 7. you can make backups of the tablet with it and restore them or whatever else clockwork can do. it is easy to install.

If you search for MODS or ROMS for the prestige 7 you will not find any even now. this tablet is still so new on the market, but their support desk at Visual Land is helpful and responsive, and even posts occasionally on tabletroms prestige 7 forum.

Sorry I can't help you with the OBDII issue, but this should get you in the right direction.

TarylD

Last edited by a moderator: