gTablet vs Nook Color (for about the same price)

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
I recently got a Nook Color because they're cheap and very customizable. I was also impressed by the build quality and screen. However 7.1" is a bit small for my likings.

Woot.com is selling the gTablet for $285 today, which is only about $20 more than I paid for Nook after tax.

Do you think I should return my nook and go for a gTablet? I fully plan on rooting/ROMing, so software isn't a concern. But I've heard complaints about the screen quality and some other things. But the specs just seem too good to pass up for $20 more out of my pocket.

vaccdroid

Jan 8, 2011
If you plan on rooting etc . From what i read the G tablet is the way to go. As much power as a Ipad or xoom and with mods you can do it can become the best tablet out there.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I LOVE my gTab, but I would recommend you check out the screen before you make the jump (Sears or Office Depot should have one). It is not very good in terms of viewing angles, although I do not have an issue with it. It more when you try to share the screen.

As far as power, etc., I truly love it, it is an amazing device and yes, basically as powerful as the top of the line tabs out there once you root and flash.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I have both and love both. Viewing angle is the big one but I hardly notice it after the first day.

Honestly the biggest factor is screen size and weight. G-Tab has some ass behind it. After using it for a few days the NookColor is WAY lighter with a smaller screen.

If I didn't already have both I would buy the other anyways. I know I'm not much help but just go with what fits your lifestyle. Rooting either or is a sinch.

Detonation

Mar 19, 2011
Thanks for the input guys, I decided to get one. The Nook is nice, but like I said the screen was too small for my likings, especially already having a Droid X. I'm not *that* worried about the gtab screen quality, it's a small trade off for way better specs, but if all else fails, I can always Craigslist it and get my money back (if not make a small profit haha).

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
What is the short answer of "How good is the hacking situation on this Tablet?" I know it's rooted and has custom ROMs on it and all, but I'm looking for a quickie on the state of that hacking community and the software (ROMs, drivers, etc.)?

I'll make a blanket assumption and assume it's not as good as the Droid 1 community either from the community strength or the quality of the ROMs. What about relative to the Droid X (yes, I know this has an unlocked bootloader and those differences)? Relative to Nook Color community and ROMs? Are there rock-solid drivers for everything in a way that can be reused for newer versions of Android (i.e. Honeycomb, etc.)?

I'll take a few links to research if you want to answer with that. That said, am swamped at work so I can't do much at the moment, hence why I'm asking these questions instead of going out and finding the answers. :) Thanks!