Haipad 701-R Disasterous

Sploddy

Sep 29, 2010
I recently purchased the Haipad 701-R android 2.1 tablet and it is a pile of rubbish.
1. There was dark shadow patch on the LCD at the side.
2. The camera is poor quality and take pictures in reverse!
3. The Barcode scanner will not work, because it is showing the barcode on the screen in reverse
4. The video is pathetic and when I decided to transfer the test shots to the Media folder the system kept locking up every time you tried to play.
5. Setting up was a nightmare, fortunately my son is computer literate and managed to find patches and other programs to getting it working in Market.
To be fair.. The software that did work, worked well, however there appears to be a lot of disparity in the tablet market.
My son discovered last night that there was a firmware update to Android 2.2 and downloaded it early in the evening. At 2am this morning he was still trying to get it to install - Incidently he is also very conversant with Linux systems.

I have been in touch with the seller and have been offered refund/repair/replace. I think I will get the refund even tho I lose $30 shipping plus the return cost. Then wait a year until they get their act together.

Anyone know of a tablet that does work? We do appreciate that one has to configure the beasts according to different makers specs etc. but one that actually works and the camera does not reverse the images??? The scanner is a very useful device if it works.

I also wanted it to read books, and we found a good reader that reads txt and prc files plus pdf (adobe) The reader is quite good, but the gray blob on the screen is most annoying.

Maybe I should stick to my old TRS80 :rolleyes:

Sploddy

Sep 29, 2010
Thanks. But I have packed the unit to ship back for a refund which Merimobiles have approved. From research it appears that there are various versions of the 701. The 701-R has the remote control. There have been a number of issues with this unit from different sellers. A lot of confusion still exists, it would appear, with this new tablet market going in all directions except a common ground.