Haipad M701 latest firmaware: Android 2.3 (2G Samsung, Micron 4G).

bintangabun

Apr 27, 2011
Yes, i had no problem upgrading to 2.3.1 and then went back to 2.1.
remember to make a backup before installing 2.3.1 if you dont want to have a clean system after returning to 2.1 ;)

im interested to upgrade my haipad to 2.3.1, im not to good in english so i not truelly understand the explanation on 1st post
so i wanna ask something:

1. if i want english version, which one i must download? ( i want alfabet keyboard )
2. how to backup my 2.1 rom? (so i can back to 2.1 if this 2.3 have lot of bug)
3. how to root this device? i already download and install superuser from market, what should i do after it?

Last edited:

aneto

Jan 20, 2011
im interested to upgrade my haipad to 2.3.1, im not to good in english so i not truelly understand the explanation on 1st post
so i wanna ask something:

1. if i want english version, which one i must download? ( i want alfabet keyboard )
2. how to backup my 2.1 rom? (so i can back to 2.1 if this 2.3 have lot of bug)
3. how to root this device? i already download and install superuser from market, what should i do after it?

Hi bintangabun,

1) Before to flash, first you have to identify your device, and then flash the proper ROM:

- for 2G Samsung / 4G Micron M701 devices is the first download link
- for 4G HY M701 devices is the second download link

If you are lucky and you have and M701 HY device, then you can enjoy a Gingerbread ROM with full english, spanish, french, etc., locales. If not it seems that the release for 2G Samsung / 4G Micron devices has a lot of chinesse stuff, and the keyboard is not full english... I have the 4G, and I have not problem with the keyboard.

2) If you have clockwordmod recovery in your 2.1 device intalled then you can made a nandroid backup. Or I guess also with Titanium backup from the market you can go.

3) see this post

PD, don't worry for the language, I'm not so good in english. Regards from Barcelona

Last edited:

andyburgin

Feb 10, 2011
Hi

First post so go easy on me. Had a 2GB M701-R since xmas tried a variety of firmwares and assorted bits of adb trickery as per the very thorough advice on this forum.

Installed 2.3 as per usual with fdwn all went well, found how to change the language to English, removed

BlackMarket.apk
youku_1.6.apk
TudouAndroid.apk

Installed the LatinIME.apk pulled form the SDK emulator and removed PinyinIME.apk, so far so good. At this point I thought I'd take backup using clockwork so I had a "fresh" version before I enter my wifi key, google account details and apps - but try as I might I can't get the tablet to reboot in recovery mode to get to the clockwork mod (which I've done loads of times before) I just end up suck on the blue haipad screen.

I've tried the usual combinations of powering up with both top buttons held, the back and top left and numerous other random button combinations with usb and power connected and not. Even tried "adb reboot recovery" and read elsewhere that "turning off usb debugging" would help - nothing seems to work (even tried reinstalling clockwork).

Anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers

andy

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@andyburgin - I also haven't had any luck booting into recovery mode.

I'm beginning to suspect the ClockworkMod "recovery.m701.img" got wiped out in the rom flashing (I can't recall if I had to reinstall it after previously flashing roms). Reinstalling it is also a problem - the .bat file that does it automatically fails because this 2.3.1 rom doesn't have a /nand/ folder. I suppose I could edit the .bat or install it manually over adb, but you said you tried reinstalling and it still didn't work (was that reinstalling manually or with the .bat file?).

apimente.br

Dec 15, 2010
Haipad M701 HY4G ANDROID2.3 0419
- download page here
- description:
此固件是HAIPAD M701 HY 4Gr ANDROID 2.3固件版本,基本功能已经完善。
- google translate:
This firmware is HAIPAD M701 HY 4Gr ANDROID 2.3 firmware version, the basic function has been improved.

Can someone please provide direct link to download the HY version? I'm a Linux user and I'm in circles at these chineses addresses. When I click on any link I get a message in Chinese that can not understand.

bintangabun

Apr 27, 2011
Hi bintangabun,

1) Before to flash, first you have to identify your device, and then flash the proper ROM:

- for 2G Samsung / 4G Micron M701 devices is the first download link
- for 4G HY M701 devices is the second download link

If you are lucky and you have and M701 HY device, then you can enjoy a Gingerbread ROM with full english, spanish, french, etc., locales. If not it seems that the release for 2G Samsung / 4G Micron devices has a lot of chinesse stuff, and the keyboard is not full english... I have the 4G, and I have not problem with the keyboard.

2) If you have clockwordmod recovery in your 2.1 device intalled then you can made a nandroid backup. Or I guess also with Titanium backup from the market you can go.

3) see this post

PD, don't worry for the language, I'm not so good in english. Regards from Barcelona

thank you for your answer :)
How to identify my device? What the difference between it?

And anyone can give me the original 2.1 rom download link? :)

im from indonesia :p

aneto

Jan 20, 2011
@bintangabun,

How to identify the device...? good question. I did learn it after a bad flash, but luckily following OffWorld's tutorial, I could restore my tablet. Thus do not have to wonder if something is wrong.

To identify the device Haipad website says in one of his downloads pages (google translate):

"How to determine your machine is HY, and connected to the computer with the M701, there is a disk storage file, the disk size is 3.08G is HY's, 2.7G is Micron. Please note, not free to upgrade their M701."

It means that, if when you enter in FWDN mode before flash, and you see a nand of 3,08G then you have an "HY" device, if not you have an "non HY" device.

You can find all the latests ROMs from HaiPad donwload page. They indicate wich are the HY versions.

Also OffWord made and excellent topic's where you can follow the history of the releases for M701 (here)

hopeless

Mar 2, 2011
Hi the new rom works great on my HY4G. Just wondering if there's a fix for the 3G Modem. I wasn't able to connect it using the USB modem as there is no 3G settings for it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@rbd555 - I can never make any sense of 99pad (Google Translate fails, Yahoo Babelfish translates it but it's mostly gibberish). Assuming you can read the post could you please share what steps are necessary to get it working?

Any idea if it works on the 2 GB Samsung or 4 GB Micron tablets too?

hopeless

Mar 2, 2011
From what I understand is that only certain sites can view the flash. But not too sure if it is considered supporting flash especially the videos one. I went to certain sites, whereby when I click play the video, it actually opens up the movie player, and streams through there. Maybe they could have been confused by it.

Another thing when I tried to download the adobe flash player from adobe, it some how detect this tablet as an ipad instead of an android tablet. Go figure...

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
To be clear, I have actually "successfully" installed Flash 10.2 via ADB because, for the 2GB tablet at least, it doesn't even show up in Market and if you try to run the package installer on the tablet the install fails. I say "successfully" (in quotes) because the installation says it is successful, but no Flash website I've visited seems to believe I have Flash installed.

rbd555

Mar 23, 2011
from what I can decipher from the thread, it only works on the 4G HY hardware, and with the default browser. Just to try it, I installed the version of flash player that is attached to the thread, but had no success with it on my 2G tablet.