Haipad M701-R +HDMI +Remote

kristeltips66

Sep 25, 2010
Just received by Haipad yesterday. When i got it the system was all in Chinese. It took me ten minutes to find the language widget to change it back to English. Overall i am happy with it.The tablet is light and compact and the build quality is good. The G sensor works.
I have to say that i prefer the Haipad to the X5A. It is easier to use the rocker button on top to navigate. With X5A, it was annoying, everytime i tried to select something on screen with the side buttons. It would make the wrong selection. The One sent back to Babiken, could not play videos. The Haipad plays most formats, not AVI at presents. It picked up Wifi well and the web loads quickly.
The battery life in comparison to the X5A is good. With X5A the battery life was poor. The front facing camera is crap.I don't think i would use it anyway. The tablet came with free HDMI cable adapter and screen protector plus usb adaptor, usb connector, English manual and ear phones.
I purchased this tablet from Ebay and so far I am happy
Here is the listing which is back on Ebay again.

Android 2.1 3G Touch 7" ebook Tablet MID PC WiFi 256RAM on eBay (end time 26-Nov-10 03:51:38 GMT)
i will keep you up dated.

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
Hi, I'd received my M701-R this week and I have some questions, hopefully someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Q1. I like to install the custom clockwork recovery. Can anyone be kind to direct me to the proper recovery/image files?
Q2. How do I allocate more memory for applications, right now I only have around 40-50M Av. Is there a custom rom that I can use?
Q3. When I attached the MID to my computer (windows xp) the New Hardware Found Wizard came up prompting for driver, but I don't have any driver.... it detected two removable device in windows but I don't have access to it.
Q4. The HDMI out does not seem work, I'd configured the Output Select to "HDMI" attached the cable to TV, but all I'm getting is audio no video.

This is what is installed, I don't know if this is the latest firmware or not

Kernel Version
cbsdada@CBServer #142

S87

Oct 10, 2010
Hi, I'd received my M701-R this week and I have some questions, hopefully someone can help me. Thanks so much.
Q3. When I attached the MID to my computer (windows xp) the New Hardware Found Wizard came up prompting for driver, but I don't have any driver.... it detected two removable device in windows but I don't have access to it.
Q4. The HDMI out does not seem work, I'd configured the Output Select to "HDMI" attached the cable to TV, but all I'm getting is audio no video

Kernel Version
cbsdada@CBServer #142

I can help with 2

To get video with HDMI-
Go to Settings-Sound and Display-scroll down to Output Select- select HDMI. You may also have to change the HDMI setting below Output Select. (720p or 1080p.)

To connect to the computer while USB is connected-
Go to the Home screen, drag the top bar down (USB symbol will be in left corner)
You'll get the "El Telco Loco" screen.
Touch "USB Connected" (Internal or External for MicroSD Card, if installed)
Next select "Mount" on the popup and you should be able to connect to the device as a drive on "My Computer".

Last edited:

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Hi fisherman,

Just to be sure, what you have is the M701-R with a remote control and 7" screen? I ask because the firmware (#142) is actually for the Haipad M1001 with a 10" screen. The M701-R should have firmware #121. That right there may be the source of your problems.

As for the memory allocation, these devices have the bulk of the memory is used up by the operating system and shared with devices - you typically won't have more than 35 - 90 MB free (depending on how many apps and services are running concurrently).

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
S87, that was a quick response I really appreciated. I was able to mount the two devices per your instruction. Thanks. Regarding the HDMI where I was only getting audio and no video, I clicked the link and it gave me "page not found".

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
OffWorld,

I'm 99% sure this is M701-R :) , I got it from this place. And how do I get 90mb free on this thing :) Thanks. Wholesale 7 inch Haipad M701 R with remote control and HDMI output

Hi fisherman,

Just to be sure, what you have is the M701-R with a remote control and 7" screen? I ask because the firmware (#142) is actually for the Haipad M1001 with a 10" screen. The M701-R should have firmware #121. That right there may be the source of your problems.

As for the memory allocation, these devices have the bulk of the memory is used up by the operating system and shared with devices - you typically won't have more than 35 - 90 MB free (depending on how many apps and services are running concurrently).

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, that is a M701-R alright. But it still sounds like you don't have the correct firmware on it. I've verified with the manufacturer that there is presently only ONE official firmware for this device, and it is #121.

Firmware #142 is for the 10" tablet (M1001) that doesn't have an HDMI port on it, which suggests to me the rom is missing the proper drivers to utilize the HDMI output. Does the remote control work? M1001 also doesn't have a remote control, so that shouldn't work either if it's the wrong firmware.

As for the memory, so far as I know the only way to free up memory is to close apps or turn off services you don't need. I believe the OS manages memory (it also uses "virtual" memory), so it's not something you really have much control over. My tablet regularly says it has 35 - 40 MB free, and the most it's ever said was 80 MB just after boot with nothing but the stock Launcher running.

Also, to be clear when you say "memory" I assume you are only talking about the RAM (total=256 MB). It can get confusing with these tablets because the "storage" is also often referred to as "memory" by a lot of people. If it's an issue with freeing up storage space, going to Manage Applications and clearing the cache for each program that uses one and uninstalling any apps you don't use will make more space.

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
Yes, I was referring the RAM. The remote control works fine with it. Do you recommend that I should try the Firmware #142?

Yes, that is a M701-R alright. But it still sounds like you don't have the correct firmware on it. I've verified with the manufacturer that there is presently only ONE official firmware for this device, and it is #121.

Firmware #142 is for the 10" tablet (M1001) that doesn't have an HDMI port on it, which suggests to me the rom is missing the proper drivers to utilize the HDMI output. Does the remote control work? M1001 also doesn't have a remote control, so that shouldn't work either if it's the wrong firmware.

As for the memory, so far as I know the only way to free up memory is to close apps or turn off services you don't need. I believe the OS manages memory (it also uses "virtual" memory), so it's not something you really have much control over. My tablet regularly says it has 35 - 40 MB free, and the most it's ever said was 80 MB just after boot with nothing but the stock Launcher running.

Also, to be clear when you say "memory" I assume you are only talking about the RAM (total=256 MB). It can get confusing with these tablets because the "storage" is also often referred to as "memory" by a lot of people. If it's an issue with freeing up storage space, going to Manage Applications and clearing the cache for each program that uses one and uninstalling any apps you don't use will make more space.

S87

Oct 10, 2010
S87, that was a quick response I really appreciated. I was able to mount the two devices per your instruction. Thanks. Regarding the HDMI where I was only getting audio and no video, I clicked the link and it gave me "page not found".

Try it now. (or just look in this forum for no sound HDMI post started by me.)

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, I was referring the RAM. The remote control works fine with it. Do you recommend that I should try the Firmware #142?

You said it already has firmware #142. According to Haipad, the only official firmware for the M701-R is #121. I'm surprised the remote works, but if it really has the #142 rom on it that is for a tablet that doesn't have an HDMI port, which might be why you can't get video output. Support for that kind of hardware has to be included in the kernel when the firmware is baked, without the necessary modules/drivers there would be now way for the operating system to properly interface with the hardware. If it was my tablet I'd be flashing it to the correct firmware, but you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to risk it with a mostly working tablet since there is always a possibility of bricking it.

S87

Oct 10, 2010
I have sound but no video.

To get video with HDMI-
Go to Settings-Sound and Display-scroll down to Output Select- select HDMI. You may also have to change the HDMI setting below Output Select. (720p or 1080p.)

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
Sorry, I had firmware #142 now, but I might want to try #121. What is the best way to do this? How do I make a backup of my existing firmware? Where can I download #121 and how do I to flash the firmware? Thanks much.

You said it already has firmware #142. According to Haipad, the only official firmware for the M701-R is #121. I'm surprised the remote works, but if it really has the #142 rom on it that is for a tablet that doesn't have an HDMI port, which might be why you can't get video output. Support for that kind of hardware has to be included in the kernel when the firmware is baked, without the necessary modules/drivers there would be now way for the operating system to properly interface with the hardware. If it was my tablet I'd be flashing it to the correct firmware, but you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to risk it with a mostly working tablet since there is always a possibility of bricking it.

fisherman

Nov 8, 2010
S87,

I done that and tried both (720p or 1080p) same result. Thanks.

To get video with HDMI-