Haipad M701R - An Android Tablet with an Infrared Remote and HDMI?

Triskite

Sep 22, 2010
yep. quite a shame lol. here's a short video i just made:

pros:
multitouch, snappy, hdmi out

cons:
microsd sticks out, no dedicated home button, stock firmware = fail

Last edited by a moderator:

Fifteenmins

Oct 4, 2010
So, I see your video above (and the other guys showing video's playing live on it)

Looks GREAT!

So here's my question.

I hear the SMARTPAD (Telechip) is made better. Aluminum back, plus all the features you see here, for (in the us) only 179.55

The HiPad - Plastic back, apps flipping upside down, sd sticking out. BUT great play back, full market, and once firmware is fixed up, a very similar product. however, in the us 189.55... SOOOO this is very a close race.

Anyone's input?

Oh, also is the firmware problem hard to fix??? i'm pretty tech savy but idw break the thing before My GF gets it for her bday (i'm buying 5 of these things for Christmas presents this xmas)

Juggernaut

Aug 22, 2010
I send an email to Shenzhen Haina Digital to ask if there are any plans to fix the micro-sd slot. No reply yet but it is chinese newyear so it can take some time.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
It's not Chinese new year lol.

If this is anything like the RK2808 line of 'Apads', the main advantage of the aluminum casing is looks. You are getting the same piece of IC inside (I believe), so same problems.

Triskite

Sep 22, 2010
So, I see your video above (and the other guys showing video's playing live on it)

Looks GREAT!

So here's my question.

I hear the SMARTPAD (Telechip) is made better. Aluminum back, plus all the features you see here, for (in the us) only 179.55

The HiPad - Plastic back, apps flipping upside down, sd sticking out. BUT great play back, full market, and once firmware is fixed up, a very similar product. however, in the us 189.55... SOOOO this is very a close race.

Anyone's input?

Oh, also is the firmware problem hard to fix??? i'm pretty tech savy but idw break the thing before My GF gets it for her bday (i'm buying 5 of these things for Christmas presents this xmas)

yeah honestly the hardest part for me was confirming what my device was- actually doing the firmware update wasn't hard - but finding out how was.

1. Get device into flash-mode by holding the home (top right, closest to corner) button, sliding power to on, let go of home button, press power (apple) button then immediately press AND HOLD power (apple) button AND home (top right) button FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS.
2. After 30 seconds, if it still shows the 'I love you' boot screen, you can let go- you are now in the flashing mode
3. If it gets past the 'i love you' screen (and you see the weird bird creature on the top left or the android logo) turn off and go back to step 1
4. Use haipad's website and google translate to get the .rar (unzip with 7-zip)
Google Translate

And follow the instruction document included in the zip for how to use the FWDN software (hint: put the entire unzipped folder on the root of your system c:\FWDN, and right click on the .exe and select 'run as administrator' in the compatibility section)

-----------------------------------------------------------
The following was posted by 'Fun' in another thread:

--
How to update with FWDN mode
1) start FWDN V7 on PC, then add lk.rom, tcc8900_mtd.img(, and NAND Data.fai).
2) power off and slide switch on
3) plug AC adapter
4) press & hold POWER button(front button), then press & hold HOME icon button(act as MENU button) *immediately*
boot sequence should be stopped at boot splash image("I love you" or "HAIPAD"). you can release POWER/HOME button.
5) connect USB cable (microSD slot side <-> PC)
6) start flashing

----
if FWDN V7 stops at "Device Probing", change USB cable or change PC, or try to plug/mount/unmount any USB mass storage device on another USB port.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Rooting, re-mapping home button, etc:
How-to: Mount system partition - Root Gpad - Fix market - Change home button - Gpad - MID/Tablet PC - Pandawill Forum Powered by our member! - Powered by Discuz!

Triskite

Sep 22, 2010
personally, i would probably buy this model again, but instead of euogo i would use merimobiles because you get a free case, hdmi cable and ir remote! of course you can get the hdmi cable for $5 on meritline.com... but having it all together would be nice.

Juggernaut

Aug 22, 2010
I send an email to Shenzhen Haina Digital to ask if there are any plans to fix the micro-sd slot. No reply yet but it is chinese newyear so it can take some time.
Excuse me, chinese national holiday ;)

Just to be sure there are no M701-R's without the failed micro-sd slot right?

Juggernaut

Aug 22, 2010
Just got a reply from Shenzhen Haina saying that they have plans to change things on the M701-R so that the SD card will fit better after the 15th of october.

Baratong

Oct 4, 2010
I just received my "Hipad G10" from euogo.com over the weekend. It is odd how the micro-SD card sticks out. Overall it's pretty nice. euogo.com did not include the IR remote, or the mini-HDMI to standard HDMI adapter. It works pretty much as advertised, the touch-screen is resistive and while it's multi-touch capable the only application I've found so far that supports multi-touch is the browser.

Unfortunately my unit has the dreaded 'Android Market lock-up problem'. Attempting to d/l any application from the market hangs on 'starting download' and it never progresses. However I have a Google G1 Android phone too so I simply download the app on the phone and using the development SDK, I shell to the phone's linux prompt and upload the applications '.apk' file to my desktop computer, then download it to the G10 and install it that way. Yeah I would much prefer the market to work!

I installed Rhapsody for streaming music, which works flawlessly. I've converted full-length movies to MP4, loaded them on the G10 and played them over HDMI to my home flat-screen at 1920x1080P with no problem! Works great. The HDMI output does carry audio as well as video so the sound comes out of the tv without any problems.

I'm porting some of my Android apps from the smaller smart-phone sized screen to the tablet sized screen and bought this unit to use for that development. I think I'll end up using this tablet for daily usage because it works great, is pretty quick, easier to read than a smart phone, and small enough to travel easily.

Triskite

Sep 22, 2010
I just received my "Hipad G10" from euogo.com over the weekend. It is odd how the micro-SD card sticks out. Overall it's pretty nice. euogo.com did not include the IR remote, or the mini-HDMI to standard HDMI adapter. It works pretty much as advertised, the touch-screen is resistive and while it's multi-touch capable the only application I've found so far that supports multi-touch is the browser.

Unfortunately my unit has the dreaded 'Android Market lock-up problem'. Attempting to d/l any application from the market hangs on 'starting download' and it never progresses. However I have a Google G1 Android phone too so I simply download the app on the phone and using the development SDK, I shell to the phone's linux prompt and upload the applications '.apk' file to my desktop computer, then download it to the G10 and install it that way. Yeah I would much prefer the market to work!

I installed Rhapsody for streaming music, which works flawlessly. I've converted full-length movies to MP4, loaded them on the G10 and played them over HDMI to my home flat-screen at 1920x1080P with no problem! Works great. The HDMI output does carry audio as well as video so the sound comes out of the tv without any problems.

I'm porting some of my Android apps from the smaller smart-phone sized screen to the tablet sized screen and bought this unit to use for that development. I think I'll end up using this tablet for daily usage because it works great, is pretty quick, easier to read than a smart phone, and small enough to travel easily.

hey Baratong,

I'm in the same boat as you. Guess it sucks there will be a new one mid-October with fixed microsd slot. Oh well.

I successfully fixed the market on firmware #133 using this guide:

Fix Market For Slates - Wiki

Basically, install the Android SDK to get the ADB command and usb drivers, then find someone who has an android device where the command:
adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "select * from meta";
works and pulls an AndroidID

then unplug that phone, plug in the g10 and copy the ID to the g10 with:
adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "update meta set intvalue='***ANDROID ID YOU FOUND GOES BETWEEN THESE SINGLE QUOTES***' where name='androidId'";

then confirm that the value was indeed copied by running the first command again...

unplug, reboot device and connect to a new network. market worked for me the next day at work.

Baratong

Oct 4, 2010
Hey Triskite, thanks for that!

I've looked through all the android developers forums and didn't see how to get this fixed until your post, so thank you!

I am an android developer and have several apps out on the market so being that I've got the dev environment already setup and another android device handy, this fix should go pretty quick...

Baratong

Oct 4, 2010
hey Baratong,

I'm in the same boat as you. Guess it sucks there will be a new one mid-October with fixed microsd slot. Oh well.

I successfully fixed the market on firmware #133 using this guide:

Fix Market For Slates - Wiki

Basically, install the Android SDK to get the ADB command and usb drivers, then find someone who has an android device where the command:
adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "select * from meta";
works and pulls an AndroidID

then unplug that phone, plug in the g10 and copy the ID to the g10 with:
adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.google.android.googleapps/databases/gls.db "update meta set intvalue='***ANDROID ID YOU FOUND GOES BETWEEN THESE SINGLE QUOTES***' where name='androidId'";

then confirm that the value was indeed copied by running the first command again...

unplug, reboot device and connect to a new network. market worked for me the next day at work.

Hey I did the market androidID update and now the market works perfectly on my pad!
Thanks for the info!

Jim Mitchell

Sep 7, 2010
In addition to rooting this thing, it would be nice to be able to add a swap file...
In my M001 all I had to do was create a linux swap partition with gpart on the sd card and it worked right away. With this new M701 if I do that it refuses to recognize the sd card as even being there :(

Fifteenmins

Oct 4, 2010
Honestly, This site is too helpful. Just when i think theres no reason to get one of these things cause of all the problems, you guys make me start to drool over it again!

So over all, you say get it from that other site not Eurog.com or w/e right?
I honestly can't get screwed. I'm spending the last of my savings (which i know isnt a ton but its what i had) on this for my GF and i can't get screwed. I got 250 to spend. Anyone got any other suggestions on tablets or anything else??? I was seeing MacBook Air Knock offs and other crap like that.... I need some help and you guys seem helpful :p so let meknow! Thanks!