Haipad MID701 reflash

Mr C

Sep 18, 2010
Forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong. I had posted about a wireless problem with my MID701. The suggestion is that a "reflash" of the firmware my fix the problem, assuming my tablet could support this.

I took a peek at what might be involved in a reflash. It looks a bit scary. As pretty much a novice, is this something I could reasonably expect to accomplish myself? Is there a clear English language set of instructions someone could refer me to?

I also wonder whether it's possible to access the internet directly using a hardwire rather than through wireless.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I live a hundred miles or so from my dealer, otherwise I would take it there. Perhaps that's all I can do in any case.

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
You *might* be able to connect to a wired network with a mini-USB-to-Ethernet adapter. I know these were bundled with some M701 tablets when they were first introduced, but I don't have one and no guarantees it will work if you have/find one of those adapters.

I saw in the other thread that you were able to get it to connect to an unsecured wireless connection at one point. Have you tried connecting to any public hotspots with it? It's possible it isn't authenticating to your network. Things that can cause that are:

1. You have your router set to something like 802.11-n only - you need "mixed" or "b and g" or "g only" mode to connect.
2. You mis-spelled your passkey to log onto the network (easy to do on a touch screen keyboard)
3. You have MAC filtering enabled on your router and either haven't entered the hardware address for your tablet or did enter it and accidentally set it to block devices on the list.
4. You turned off SSID Broadcast on your router. I've seen more than one Android device that has issues connecting to a wireless network that isn't broadcasting its name.
5. Turn off "Airplane Mode" and turn on "Automatically Sync" if you messed with those settings to see if it auto-connects.
6. If you haven't done so try adding a new wireless network manually and enter your router authentication information if automatic discovery isn't working for some reason.

A "Factory Data Reset" is a very easy, low-risk, non-damaging way to cure problems with bad cached information or non-default settings.

The SIM card stuff (I saw you mention in the other thread) doesn't really matter on this device. There is no actual card because there is no cellular radio or cellular network. It's a fake SIM and shouldn't have anything to do with connecting via wi-fi.

Lastly, flashing a tablet is actually pretty easy. Scary the first couple of times I did it, I'll admit, but as long as you are using the correct compatible firmware it usually goes off without a hitch. There are detailed instructions in the Haipad User Group.