Hand writing recognition...

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
Not sure which bart of the forum to post this question in. I use onenote a lot and
am very interested in finding an alternative in android.

I know mobileNoter is available but don't know if its an actual handwriting
recognition software. Can any tablet I buy (if its running the right version OS) run
the various software applications or is it also hardware dependent. One of the "Gpad"
9.7 in apads touts its voice and handwriting capability but it seems to be the same hardware. Is this a modified firmware or an added freeware program?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
this is a tough one, and touchy.

For a OneNote replacement, I have settled on Evernote, which I actually like quite a lot. There is a PC, Web and Android client for it, and it is free for 95% of the functionality. It also has some great addon tools like the clipper which i love.

For handwriting recognition, i wound up going a different route. Since I still like my daily diary/journal, and like the act of taking notes, I have gone with the LiveScribe Pulse pen. this takes notes on paper then syncs them to the computer. From there, I use an app called MyScript which converts to text if I need it. It also fully integrates with Evernote. For drawings and the like, I use a couple of different tools on the Tablet, these being MaplePaint, Canvas and SmartDiagram.

I hope this helps!

TxToast

Feb 24, 2011
I use evernote as well, primarily tied to my browsers. I tend to use OneNote for integrated research and for client meetings. I'm still using my toshiba R15-822. Have an E121 on order
but would love to get an android tablet instead (or in addition). The Xoom just doesn't cut it for the money...no better then the ipad (for now).

I'm browsing the various apps for handwriting recognition but am still unclear on what is hardware vs software driven...

dawnlauryn

Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the post pbrauer! I really want something to write on too! Love the look of maple paint, but for the life of me can't figure out how to open something once I've created it. I can't get the swing of android (I have a Xoom) and am used to the windows save as and open with. Maybe Evernote will actually let me reopen and edit? I might check out the pen you recommended. The big fatty captivate stylus makes me batty, and I want something more like a pen. I can't wait until the technology is here so I can write with a tiny stylus again. It's the one thing that keeps me chained to my treo 700W. None of the new phones have letter recognition anymore:( Anyway, thanks for your post. Maybe this will be a good compromise until I can find what I want: small stylus/capture device (phone) where I can still jot notes and have all the benefits of a newer phone.

yelocmd

Jun 19, 2011
iI just bought a galaxy pad 10.1. It is pretty cool but for handwriting, not as good as i had hoped. I dont understand the differences in different types of screen input, but why does the htc tablet use a small stylus and samsung not. did I make a mistake?

koneks

Apr 26, 2010
Thin Stylus are used on Resistive screens. they need a hard stick like the tip of a long nail. Capacitive screens need special stylus a soft tip, electrically conductive as the tip of your finger is (not the nail). You can get such kind of stylus on the Internet or on specialized stores. If you like, you can find out how to handmake one.

fibag21

Sep 2, 2011
Thin Stylus are used on Resistive screens. they need a hard stick like the tip of a long nail. Capacitive screens need special stylus a soft tip, electrically conductive as the tip of your finger is (not the nail). You can get such kind of stylus on the Internet or on specialized stores. If you like, you can find out how to handmake one.

Well, I would be interested in information on how to make such a thin stylus, because even with WritePad, it is not that obvious to work with a 7mm wide stylus.:(

tabpadjack

Nov 17, 2011
Hello, I just got to this forum. I had worked first with Android phones and now with Android tablets (also use a W7 tablet from my business). Still seems to be only two handwriting recognition apps available, at least on the Android/tablet market: WritePad & Penreader. I use a resistive tablet and a capacitive tablet, both Androids (the W7 is multitouch with own active stylus). With the resistive's I use two cheap pens, Uniball Signo MC3 (has two gel pens and one orange plastic stylus), & Bic e.3 with has a pencil with leads, a ball point black pen and a orange plastic stylus. They $1-1.25 at your local office supply store. With the capacitive ones I tried those conductive pad and rubber pad stylus, they are a waste of money and time for handwriting. So I tried two precisicon capacitive styli: DAGi p504 and the Adonit Jot Pro (they have a non pro version). You can find them on the web (www.dagi.com.tw and www.adonit.net ). I tried both. Both use a plastic disk with a small conductive foil on the surface. DAGi holds the disk with a spring. Jot/Jot Pro uses a ball bearing. The DAGi fell to the floor from a waist height and the spring broke apart, there is no way to fix it (I got two in case this thing happens, and it happened!). The Jot Pro people from Adonit sell replacements of the disk for $8 a pair. They snap into the ball bearing, they foil on the disk makes contact with the ball bearing. I wrote with both on both Android and W7 capacitive tablets, and definitely the Jot Pro was far superior. I use Penreader, and a chinese beta app that should come to Android market soon. DAGi released new ones but I won't buy them; I told them about the breakage a month ago and have not yet received an answer. If you want to write nicely and have it recognized, if you have a capacitive tablet, get a Jot Pro or a Jot from Adonit (I'm not getting anything from them). DAGi costs $30, Jot the same, and Jot Pro $40. The Jot Pro has a nice rubberized non-slip handle. The Jots have a small magnet so they stick to the edge of the tablet but they may fall under a sudden move. The DAGi does not have a cap but a clever snap side angled protector but the disk is still on the open. The Jot/Jot Pro has a cap that screw on the other side of the stylus. If the Jot Pro had a ink stylo, it will rival the Mont Blanc pens. There you have it.