Harvesting the touchscreen from an Android Tablet

Tao1

Feb 19, 2013
Hello forum!

I am wondering if you have any information on the touchscreen itself inside a cheap tablet such as: Ematic Pro Series Tablet PC, EGS005 - Walmart.com

I am in need of a 7'' touchscreen to hook up to my Raspberry Pi and have found that the CHEAPEST you can buy a 7'' touchscreen by ITSELF is $100. Yet the tablet here costs $60 with a touchscreen already!!!!! How is this possible?

My question is: Can I save $40 and rip the touchscreen out of this pre-made tablet and use it? Do you think it can receive input from another computer? Is there any way I can 'hack' an HDMI/DVI/VGA input (for video and sound) for the screen and then a USB output (for the touch information)? I essentially want to use this touchscreen, but control it from a totally different computer.

Thank you all :) I have been a long time lurker and this forum has been my favorite of all :)

Tao1

Feb 19, 2013
Hello forum!

I am wondering if you have any information on the touchscreen itself inside a cheap tablet such as: Ematic Pro Series Tablet PC, EGS005 - Walmart.com

I am in need of a 7'' touchscreen to hook up to my Raspberry Pi and have found that the CHEAPEST you can buy a 7'' touchscreen by ITSELF is $100. Yet the tablet here costs $60 with a touchscreen already!!!!! How is this possible?

My question is: Can I save $40 and rip the touchscreen out of this pre-made tablet and use it? Do you think it can receive input from another computer? Is there any way I can 'hack' an HDMI/DVI/VGA input (for video and sound) for the screen and then a USB output (for the touch information)? I essentially want to use this touchscreen, but control it from a totally different computer.

Thank you all :) I have been a long time lurker and this forum has been my favorite of all :)

Anyone??? Any information on the naked touchscreen inside these tablets would be awesome ;P! They are capacitive, right?