Has anyone successfully tethered the 9743G to an iPhone or iPad Hotspot?

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
Has anyone successfully manager to tether a Bauhn AMiD-9743G tablet to Telstra 3G through iPhone iOS 6.1.2?

Overall, I am very pleased with this tablet.Only problem is wifi (or bluetooth) tethering to carrier via iPhone 4S (or new iPad). The tablet initially shows a connection (blue wifi symbol) and activity via wifi but does not allow any sustained connection to internet. The symbol changes to grey but still shows connection. I have tried different APNs (telstra.wap was default and telstra.iph).

I have successfully tethered a 7" Onix Tablet to the same iPhone and iPad. I have successfully tethered the AMiD-9743G to a Motorola RAZR mobile on Telstra.

Any ideas?

Thanks

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
Has anyone successfully manager to tether a Bauhn AMiD-9743G tablet to Telstra 3G through iPhone iOS 6.1.2?

Pardon me, but I'm a little lost. You have the 3G tablet and you are trying to get to 3G via a phone?

I have the sim in the tablet and get turn the Wi-Fi hotspots on on the tablet.

Tethering once made sence to use as a term because a cable was used to connect the phone to a laptop. However with wifi the tablet IS a router. So its not really tethering any more than connecting to your home wifi router is tethering .

So to clarify, which way are you trying to connect? Which machine is the router?

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
I already have a mobile data service in the iPhone which I carry with me. (Also mobile data in the iPad).

I bought the Tablet as a larger screen mobile navigation (has GPS) and browsing device for my wife who also has iPhone with mobile data. I do not want to pay for a further mobile data service. (As an aside, I have tried a Telstra 3G SIM in the Bauhn and its performance is comparatively much poorer than when tethered via wifi through another mobile device, the Motorola RAZR running on 3G).

The iPhone (or RAZR) is acting as the routing device.

Thanks

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
Apologies for generic use of "tether". I was using it to cover both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection modes.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
mine connects to my iphone 4s but had occasional issues with a pocketWiFi. changing the wep encryption could do your trick (worked on the huawei)

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I can wifi tether my 972XS to my Android phone successfully. Works great. Maybe there is a little gremlin with sleep/power saving setting mismatch between devices?

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
just wondering, you haven't site up anything like only pre-authorised stations can connect have you?

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
I can connect initially via iPhone/iPad. Connection works for about a minute or so. As an example, a speed test with speedtest.net will provide ping/download/upload results for one test. If you hit "Test Again", it will attempt to measure ping etc but eventually show "Network Connection Issues - Try Again". The WiFi symbol on the Bauhn tablet shows transmit activity but no receive activity.

No pre-authorised stations set.

It appears to relate to a timing issue. I just noticed when the iPhone establishes a hotspot connection, the top bar on the iPhone screen (signal strength, carrier name, time display, battery level) pulses with a brighter shade of blue for about ninety seconds. I expect this indicates when authorised devices can establish connection to iPhone Hotspot. This correlates with the period where the Bauhn tablet can successfully communicate via hotspot. If a new browser request or speed test is attempted after this period, it is unsuccessful until the connection to iPhone Hotspot is restarted. Works again for 90 seconds, then same issue.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
yes, it sounds like i was saying. change your iphone to another protocol. It seems not to be working with pre registered stations. turn that off and go back to simply pass key entry and it should work.

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
IPhone does not provide any protocol options on hotspot. It uses WPA 2. You do not identify or preselect which devices can connect. ONLY parameters to change are SSID (phone name - I have made sure no strange characters as this can be problematic) and password.

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
I just rang Tempo Australia who provide Tech support for Bauhn Tablets.

I was advised that the cause of the issue is due to poor sensitivity of the wifi receiver in the Bauhn tablet. They said it will work fine with a mobile hotspot but not with a phone based hotspot.

I explained it worked fine with the Motorola RAZR and that the receive signal strength when connected to iPhone was excellent (less than a metre away). Further, the sensitivity/range of the Bauhn tablet with my home wifi router was similar to iPhone, iPad and other devices.

I hate it when Service Desk staff are fed bull by technical staff who either do not have a clue or are unwilling to put the effort in to find root cause.

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
Just measured WiFi signal strength of iPhone hotspot and home WiFi network on the Bauhn Tablet:

IPhone and tablet separated by < 1 metre
IPhone Hotspot : -35 dBm
Home Network: - 55 dBm

15 metres (2 rooms away)
IPhone Hotspot: -75dBm
Home network: -80dBm

IPhone hotspot signal higher than home network in both cases. Home network works, iPhone Hotspot does not. This is not a signal strength issue!

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
IPhone does not provide any protocol options on hotspot.

I just double checked and your correct, I'm wrong about the settings. I use 3 phones (Nokia and Samsung too) so I'd got confused. I actually don't like my iPhone so had probably got confused with settings available on Joiku or in my Samsung (or on my PocketWiFi).

sorry I can't offer any better help.

what version of iOS are you on?

I did a quick google of it lastnight and came up with lame suggestions from Apple such as 'upgrade your OS'

taurus_rising

Mar 15, 2013
Was iOS 6.1.2 and upgraded to 6.1.3 this morning. Same problem.

I have followed many tech support and Google threads. None have been relevant other than one which suggested that iPhone hotspots are peer to peer wifi config rather than infrastructure (as is a WiFi router). It is possible that Bauhn have only enabled connection to infrastructure and disallowed peer to peer WiFi connections.

Can you confirm that u can sustain a connection through or iPhone hotspot. That is, does the connection pass data for more than a few minutes. Perhaps different URLs and speed checks.

Feedback from Tempo ( Bauhn support) would indicate this is a common problem with the AMiD-974 3G. Perhaps only with Apple iPhone?

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
is possible that Bauhn have only enabled connection to infrastructure and disallowed peer to peer WiFi connections.

Certainty that is the case with all Android OS, they will only see infrastructure. If you can even see the iPhone then it is not adhoc. My Nokia is adhoc (Joikuspot) and my tablets don't even see it.

My only microSIM is on a plan with no data at the moment. (I dropped it back to Amaysim as you go) will have a go again in the morning.