Has Anyone Tried 3G Dongle on A81G?

Ned Lud

Feb 21, 2011
Hey folks,
Still waiting for my new toy to arrive (ordered on 3/2 from MP4Nation; not sweating it just yet). In the meantime, I'm wondering: Has anyone tried using a 3G EVDO usb dongle for web access on their A81G Capacitive yet? Got results to share?

Even more specifically -- has anyone used a 3G EVDO smartphone with "hotspot" capability for internet access on a81G?

My full curiosity (not that I assume anyone else out there is in the exact same position): I've got an HTC Touch Pro2 on Sprint that I'm thinking about adding a hack-job "hotspot" capability to, in the hopes of using it with the a81G wherever regular wifi's not available. I don't suppose anyone here could report on that exact scenario, but maybe if anyone's got an iPhone or equally new hotspot-capable phone, they might have some experience to share?

Thanks

tony1948

Mar 14, 2011
hi i have a brand new a81g and it works fine with my 3g dongle,as for your other query i cannt comment as i have not tried it,i have a htc desire so i will try it and let you know

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
hi i have a brand new a81g and it works fine with my 3g dongle,as for your other query i cannt comment as i have not tried it,i have a htc desire so i will try it and let you know

@tony1948: How did you get your dongle working and is it the Huawei sold by o2?

Can you let us know what the settings are in the 3G Dongle page in the WITS settings please.

I have three options: wcdma, evdo and td with Card ID and attachment options that need filling in....

....very confusing....

Thanks

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Well, I couldn't get my O2 Dongle to work (Huawei 1750), but I managed to get my Samsung Omnia 7 (Win7 phone) into USB tethered mode and connected up over my T-Mobile Web&Walk plan.

For those with the Samsung Omnia 7:

Dial ##634# which puts you into Diagnostics Mode.

Then type *#7284# which will give you three options. Choose the second option: 'USB, Tethered call'. (If you want to sync with Zune again you'll have to follow the steps above, but choose Option1.)

On the WITS A81G, go into the 3G settings (under Wireless & Networks) and you should see three options.

Long press on wcdma and you'll find all the options filled in. You need to change the APN which is called card (change to general.t-mobile.uk for T-Mobile), and the password (change to user for T-Mobile). LEAVE ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS ALONE.

Connect your phone to the regular USB port and voila! Surf the web, use the market, it's all there.

Remember your data plan charges.....

Hope this helps.

Last edited: