Has my tablet hacked and have a malicious app? Please help.

wicks_10

Jan 18, 2012
I am new to android OS and just bought a DOPO 702 Tablet. While reading the manual, it said I would have to charge it and go through the setup when I first use it but when I plugged it in and turned it on, there was nothing to set up and the battery was at 90%. I also got looking through the installed apps (Settings >Applications >Manage Applications >All (Tab)) and at the very bottom of the list, there is on that is in all Chinese/Japanese writing and I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it if it is something bad. Under permisions, it says it has access to personal info, network communication, accounts, services that cost money, and system tools. The picture below is what it looks like. When I click on the running tab, it is not shown though. I have installed AVG free on it and it shows nothing either. I don't know if the device has been tampered with or if it is nothing to worry about. The box shows no signs of tampering and the device seems to run normal. Does anyone know what this app is and can I get rid of it. If so how? Thanks for your help.

$DSC_00611.JPG

Last edited:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Looks like you have one of the cheap chines tablets, they come preloaded with all kinds of crap, and I would say your tablet has not been hacked, they just are like that. The only good way to get rid of all of it is to root the device and put a new ROM on it.
Someone else will have to help you with that though, I can recognize problems but have no clue how to fix 99.99% of them.
Good luck

Edwine

Oct 3, 2011
I too have a Chinese tablet and it gave the same issue when i used it first.i took it to my vendor who removed the errors and since then it has been working fine.I'll suggest you to get it checked by your vendor.he will definitely resolve your issue.

wicks_10

Jan 18, 2012
When you say your vendor, who are you referring to? These DOPO tablest are only available at Walmart and I don't think that they are going to be able to do much for me. Just wondering. Thanks

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Just wondering. How much did you pay for this tablet. And how long ago?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Nickovtyme

Jan 16, 2012
I had an app and same concerns like that on my dopo md702....I rooted it and used root uninstaller to get rid of it.

Root uninstaller asked conformation of removing app with the app name in English.

It was a Chinese keyboard app.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Android Tablet Forum

wicks_10

Jan 18, 2012
Thats nice to know. I have rooted it now but have not had much time to get rid of it.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
About $140 and I just received it a few days ago. Why do you ask?
Just curious, Wondered if it might be possible for you to return it for a refund. Most tablets like this are a huge pain in the but for people.
Most people who get these get them for the cost and are not prepared for all the hoops they will need to jump through just to get them halfway usable.

wicks_10

Jan 18, 2012
I probably would be able to return it but all in all it works great for what I want to do. I was just concerned with some of the extra crap on it but I have now taken care of that so I don't know if there is a need to return it. I'm sure that in the future, I will want something different but for now it is great for what I need it for.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Then congrats on your new Android tablet. Have loads of fun.
When I got mine (a Vizio VTAB 1008) it was a great novelty for the first couple days, and then not so much, now I find I am using it for more and more stuff. to lazy to fire up the TV, I watch NetFlix on it.
Look through Amazon instead of going to the laptop, play games instead of getting my phone out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I probably would be able to return it but all in all it works great for what I want to do. I was just concerned with some of the extra crap on it but I have now taken care of that so I don't know if there is a need to return it. I'm sure that in the future, I will want something different but for now it is great for what I need it for.

For $140 (or a little more) you can get a mainstream tablet without many of the issues you are likely to experience as well as a larger community of users who can help and guide. Here is one example http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/32456-refurbished-vtab1008-190-buy-com.html. The $50 is probably worth the lost headache alone but other deals are out there on similar mainstream tablets.

wicks_10

Jan 18, 2012
Yea I figure that the next tablet i get, I will probably spend a little more on something better but for now, this will work great for what I need it for. I'm new to tablets (or android anything for that matter) and I can use this to mess around with and get to learn the android os. As I need more, I can look for something else. I've already learned a good bit by getting rid of the crap on this device. Thanks for everyone's help with this.