Has the novelty worn off?

islandman

Apr 4, 2013
Has the novelty worn off ?. Ok so you bought a tablet a few months ago, to supplement your usual way of surfing, ie laptop/PC and now after the excitement of experimenting, have you found you are using it less and less?

This is the case with me. Mind you, it was bought to take away with me when we visit family. As we are going soon, it will be put to the test, ie rail journey etc.

When people post "which tablet should I buy?", I have always advocated, "make it one you can easily afford, just in case you either don't get on with it, or you loose interest", so this theory seems to be working out (for me).

I will be interested to see what you make of this.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
2 years in and my TF101 is still used daily. Take it everywhere.

I find I use my tablet about 80-90% of the time, PC 10-20%

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Has the novelty worn off ?. Ok so you bought a tablet a few months ago, to supplement your usual way of surfing, ie laptop/PC and now after the excitement of experimenting, have you found you are using it less and less?
Me: Yes. My wife still uses hers all the time.

I've been waiting for months for an acceptable 9" or 10" tablet to show up. Meanwhile I use my 8" VTAB1008 less and less. Partly because it's becoming slower and slower, and less and less stable.

I begin to suspect it's just possible that, if the tablet I want does not show up soon, my use of the VTAB will go down to zero and I'll lose interest entirely. The whole "tablet experience" was never what I expected of it, in the first place, anyway. So it's already a questionable proposition.

Jim

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Mine is the same, I got tablet to replace the cell phone, and it does it's job very nicely. I don't consider the tablet a replacement for my desktop or laptop, as they are designed completely different. I do look forward to one day that a tablet is able to compile kernels, have usb ports to be able to adb to another tablet and such. at this point none exist.

The ideal tablet would be a dual boot with full Linux distro, two or three full size usb ports, 4GB RAM, Quad core, 9 inch screen, ability to upgrade both OS as soon as the upgrades are released by Google for android and by which ever disrto is used.

Anyway I still like and use my tablets the same as before.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I bought my tablet primarily for use as an e-reader, but with the ability to watch an occasional movie, send an occasional e-mail and reference address lists, documents, charts and graphs etc. when away from my laptop and desktop. Knowing from the beginning that without a full size keyboard and mouse it would never replace my computers, I've not been disappointed and use it as much now as when I got it 2½ years ago. Much better than reading 2 year old magazines in waiting rooms while my car is being serviced etc.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I purchased my first tablet six months ago and I've never looked back. Last month, I only used my laptop once. I'm waiting to get a brand new one as soon as they show up here in Canada to use between charges. They're definitely falling in price. Pretty soon they'll cost around the same price as an oil change.