HB Slate 7: How bad is it?

DonSchaeffer

Jun 24, 2013
I ordered an HB Slate 7. Am I condemned to Android hell? Why are so many critics so obsessive in their hits at this tablet? I looked for You Tube reviews. It was as if someone paid the reviewers to condemn this product. One reviewer even criticized the box it came in. The HB Slate has 2 cameras, a micro-SD card slot, reasonable screen at a low price.

Last edited:

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, Don.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I don't think you'll be disappointed. HP has a history of not letting down its customers and continuing to produce long-lasting, durable and competitively-priced products. As for your fear of 'Android hell', unless you require GPS or a gyroscope, you'll be fine.

Cheers.
Ed

mbtechfella79

Jun 10, 2013
lol "criticized the box it came in" people will complain about everything!!!! I haven't used it personally but my work purchased 2 of these as floater tablets and they work just fine from what i hear....then again we use an Amtel mdm app that has everything containerized so it doesnt really leave but one app....still..pretty flawless

sknight702

Jun 10, 2013
same here! we have on of these in the office and cannot understand what the reviews were about...then again i hunt for things that are not getting the most amazing reviews and the price is cheap...looks like we lucked out

TNS

Jul 26, 2013
I was thinking of getting one but the bad reviews scared me off. I have seen them for as cheap as 99 bucks. I read it was made by a Chinese company for HP.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I was thinking of getting one but the bad reviews scared me off. I have seen them for as cheap as 99 bucks. I read it was made by a Chinese company for HP.

The $99.00 cheapie made in China is targeted at the back-to-school crowd and has very low-end specs. It has nothing in common with the HP Slate 7, except for the manufacturer's warranty. This segment of the market is driven by price. And, if that means making the device in China, then so be it. At least, with a recognized brand-name product, you've got some sort of safety-net, if there's a problem.

mbtechfella79

Jun 10, 2013
I mean, yeah, for $99 youre not going to get a slick tablet with tons of ram and memory with a huge screen. BUT for the small amount you will pay, you will get some of those things in a dialed down version. Its a classic get what you pay for so if you need a lot more you might need to pay a little more.

For the $99 dollars, its a good little tablet and our company's coporate app runs smooth and our MDM solution lets us have our containerized emails and docs so cant be THAT terrible!

imarichard55

Jun 10, 2013
I mean, yeah, for $99 youre not going to get a slick tablet with tons of ram and memory with a huge screen. BUT for the small amount you will pay, you will get some of those things in a dialed down version. Its a classic get what you pay for so if you need a lot more you might need to pay a little more.

For the $99 dollars, its a good little tablet and our company's coporate app runs smooth and our MDM solution lets us have our containerized emails and docs so cant be THAT terrible!

Yes, but there are still values to be had! we have some of these that are in a locked kiosk mode kind of a thing that our amtel mdm does and we use it to sign in guests at reception....works flawlessly.