HC 3.1 What do you see that has changed?

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
People are starting to get the HC 3.1 download.

What are you seeing that is different?

Here's what I have.

1. New app called Movie Studio - Not sure exactly what this is

2. New app called Videos that links to an email account?

3. New Nook reader app

4. New Zino reader app

Battery status looks different

People are also talking about re-sizing the widgets - couldn't find out how to do this.

Could anyone who starts to research the new stuff in hc 3.1 post it here so we can all benefit from your knowledge.

IE: How do you re-size the widgets?

Ken

gwagdesigns

Jun 11, 2011
You cant resize all of them, but for say the bookmarks widget, pres and hold like you want to move it, and you'll see the expansion dot on the bottom now.

EZguy

Jul 3, 2011

What are you seeing that is different?

Here's what I have.

1. New app called Movie Studio - Not sure exactly what this is

2. New app called Videos that links to an email account?

3. New Nook reader app

4. New Zino reader app

Battery status looks different

People are also talking about re-sizing the widgets - couldn't find out how to do this.

Could anyone who starts to research the new stuff in hc 3.1 post it here so we can all benefit from your knowledge.

IE: How do you re-size the widgets?

Ken

It looks like they took out that Cell Standby that used up so much battery juice...

taichimaster

Apr 29, 2011
I also found a little tick mark "-" by the time on the main screen that toggles on/off notifications (does that mean adds from the free stuff?)

Ken

PS: It's really almost invisible but it is to the left of the time.

wosto

May 18, 2011
- The videos app shows local videos and lets you rent movies from Marketplace.
- The gmail widget is another example of a widget that can be resized by press and holding it to expose the stretcher dots.
- There's added support for usb devices with 3.1, I plugged in a usb mouse, it worked.

roadster

Jun 24, 2011
Mouse works.

mp4 HD plays properly now.

Faster.

Pete

My sample mp4 plays but lip-sync is out. Everything is in slow motion. Thats when played directly from usb stick. I'll move it to internal SD and try again!
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse are working well.
HDMI 1080 resolution is very good on 24" TV.

Regards Roadster

deadlychicken

Jul 5, 2011
gps seems to lock faster and from indoors now, web page scrolling is much improved, however facebook still keeps trying to send me to the mobile page even though i have desktop set as my user agent

romhad

Jun 28, 2011
People really got new apps with this? Huh. So I guess my update hasn't kicked in. Weird. I got the update and downloaded it, but then it told me that the tablet would be unusable while the upgrade installed, so I told it to install later. Now it's later. How do I get it to install? (When I check for updates, the system now tells me that it is up to date, but it still tells me I'm running 3.0.1.)

Dart

May 2, 2011
Got the update this evening. (South Florida). I noticed the Bluetooth settings have more options. You can change the length of time it is discoverable. I like that as I transfer my photos to my Mac that way.

crazycanuck

Jul 6, 2011
I think, and would love verification on this, the cell function that was chewing up 15% of battery power seems to have dissapeared now. Which should really increase battery life nicely on wifi only tablets. Why it was there on a wifi only tablet anyways escapes me.

Whoops, should gave read the posts before I typed. Someone ninja,d me and noticed this as well :)

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

scandata

Jun 23, 2011
On all of the "theme" pages (preset pages for Multimedia, e-reading, Games, and Social) it deleted all the shortcuts I put in. However, it added a few books to my Lumiread library.

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
Nook does not work correctly. Loaded a book, and tried to change features, now the screen goes blank. I press the on/off button to standby, then back on, and the book flashes on for a fraction of a second, then blank screen again. Keep trying standby and backon until I finally get home screen. Then I can run other apps.

So far the only plus is the removal of the cell standby line on usage page. Sure wish I knew how to go back to the previous version.
It may just be my imagination, but it seems the update is slower in response time.

Please post your findings in this thread so we can get a more complete picture of what the update was to accomplish.

Ken

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I also found a little tick mark "-" by the time on the main screen that toggles on/off notifications (does that mean adds from the free stuff?)

Ken

PS: It's really almost invisible but it is to the left of the time.

If you are seeing anything down there it means your notification are off.
No email alerts, twitter beeps, calendar alerts, on anything else.

You control it by tapping time, then hit the sliders, and turn on or off notifications.
I can't imagine why you would want it off, other than to sleep, and volume down does just as well.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

3. New Nook reader app

Ken

New nook reader app is a problem.
I had the downloadable nook app from the market installed.

When the new version arrived, it forced this new nook app onto my tablet which was incompatible with my
existing books database causing it to crash every time, till I told it to clear all data for the nook app in settings.
Then the new version would run.

But you can no longer delete this app. More shovelware you can't get rid of. How big a bribe did Barnes and
Noble have to offer Acer for that little surprise!!???

Further, it seems starts every time you boot the tablet, unlike the market version which started only on
demand. So there goes another 16meg of memory.