Hdmi sound output not working

Welldamn

Feb 2, 2013
Hi everyone, I'll try and keep this as short as possible. However I would like to start off with, please do not reply with: "plug in the cable, turn up the volume or turn on the tv first". This will simply make me angry as I have tried everything that I could possibly think of and searching the web for over an hour gave me all those very clever answers over and over again.

The issue: The sound is absent when I'm running anything via my transformer tf300t tablet onto my tv ( which is a Q media something something ).

- Video works fine
- Sound works fine on the tablet when hdmi is not connected

I tried to cold boot it, to boot it in safe mode and all the other simple stuff like checking cables, etc. as mentioned above. I did not have this problem before. So just to be clear it has worked for quite some time. It just decided to stop outputting sound for some reason that it didn't mention to me. I have a vague feeling that it stopped working just after I agreed to update the tablet with the latest firmware which was about 10 days ago if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, some help would be very welcome. Cheers.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Making the suggestion you didn't want to hear never even crossed my mind when reading your post. You did not, however, mention what app you were using to display or what format the video may have been.

Welldamn

Feb 2, 2013
Welcome to the forum

Making the suggestion you didn't want to hear never even crossed my mind when reading your post. You did not, however, mention what app you were using to display or what format the video may have been.

Thanks for the reasonably fast reply, I'm sorry I didn't mention that clearly enough. The 'anything' in the description I gave about the issue was meant as 'it does not matter what app I run, any sound that is supposed to go through is not going through'.

However I'd mostly like to get mx player working.

- Mx player does not work
- VLC player does not work
- Tunein radio does not work
- Youtube does not work

After all this I drew the conclusion that nothing works when I run it through to the television.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may be correct. My suggestion would be to try finding another TV, maybe even at a store if necessary to rule out the TV. Since some of the pins in the cable control the sound so it could also be a cable problem. If yhou get video and have tried all those apps my guess is that the tablet is NOT the problem. (but I could be wrong).

Welldamn

Feb 2, 2013
Well, it could not be the tv in my opinion since all works fine when i run my ps3 or my pc on it via hdmi. I ďont know if this rules it out but i suppose it does. Could you confirm if so please?

Could be the cable i guess but nothing happened to it since it worked/the moment it stopped. Sigh.

IBillyC

Mar 11, 2013
Welldamn,
I am having the same problem as you are. Everything worked fine with my hdmi cable plugged into my tv. The movies ran great and the sound was perfect. Like you, when I upgraded to the new firmware it stopped working. The movie plays on the tv still, but there is no sound.
I'm thinking with the upgrade it got some sort of bug. I wonder if other people are having the same problem and if enough people let ASUS know, they might fix it.
If I hear anything about a fix I will let you know, or if you can do the same for me.

Billy C.

JB77

Mar 13, 2013
I am having the exact same set of issues and I've been in touch with Asus several times and they aren't even aware that the problem exists. My HDMI out was working perfectly until the latest firmware update was released over the weekend. Now I only get video to my television and no sound, regardless of the application I am running. Also, the screen on my tablet does not "sleep" when connected to the television and the video output no longer fills my whole screen on the television. Asus has recommended doing a factory reset, but that merely results in me having to set up my setting etc. again. Their recommendations for resolution are borderline useless.
I have been in touch with a blogger and he wrote to Asus to let them know the problem exists. Hoping for a patch soon.

IBillyC

Mar 11, 2013
JB77
I have sent ASUS a couple of messages. This was the last reply I got, I'm gonna give it a try with my fingers crossed!!!

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Joe and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For this issue, please try to install the firmware again and then give me your feedback.
Here is the steps to install the firmware.
1. Go to ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T
2. Select Android OS
3. Download Version V10.6.1.18 from the Global server
4. Unzip and save to desired location.
5. Copy entire folder to root level of SD card
6. Remove SD card from PC and insert to into Transformer TF300T
7. Bottom of screen in notification area next to clock you will see and update.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Joe
ASUS Product Support Team

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have doubts that it will do anything at all. It sounds as if he wants you to do something that can't be done, essentially downgrade. Typical customer support.

IBillyC

Mar 11, 2013
I tried what this ASUS told me and it didn't work. So I e-mail them again and this is what I get;

Dear Castaneda,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is Joe and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Now I suggest you may clear out the DMClient cache and data ( Settings->Apps->ALL->DMClient->Clear data).
Then check the update again.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Joe
ASUS Product Support Team
888-678-3688

Am I getting a real person, this didn't work either. I know they need to send another update to fix the bug, so how long they gonna take to do it. I'm ready to throw this piece of **** out the window now!! I used to love it, now I hate it!!

Billy C.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So now on top of everything else he missed a step as the DMClient and CMClient both go together and are typically the couse of someone not getting an upgrade notification. Nothing to do with HDMI as far as I know. I'm beginning to think there is a bug in the update.