HDMI to VGA adapter cable

Discussion in 'Creative Tablets' started by j00ls, Jan 21, 2012.

1. j00ls

j00ls Member

Hello everyone,

I was playing with the idea of buying an "HDMI to VGA" adapter cable when I read this:

"This cable is no converter, please assure that your device can provide the required signal before purchase."

I have also found this device from ASUS which is supposed to work for tablets/etc: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Peripherals & Accessories- ASUS Mini HDMI to VGA Cable

Do I need a special converter-cable to hook up my ZiiO to a VGA monitor or can I make it work with a simple HDMI to VGA cable?

Thanks!

2. gurgle

gurgle Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Better question What don't I own, Oh a generic APAD
    Think of technology as a road. In the beginning, it was analog logic. It was still electronic but is like a dirt road. That is the basic RCA video plug. Then came early digital signals which were still analog but could be considered digital. That is what the VGA or the four separate RGB connectors for older PCs. It is like the two lane paved road.
    HDMI is a totally digital transmission logic. That is why you cannot just plug in a HDMI to VGA adapter cable and expect it to be automatically compatible. And that some cables are meant to be From VGA to HDMI and not HDMI to VGA.
    The end result is you need a HDMI to VGA converter. These cost about $40+USD HP makes one which I have which works on one tablet and not another. Google for NP031AA#ABA The ASUS unit you reference does the same thing. The only word of warning, these seem to work for some displays and not others. I think it may be signal voltage strength as the HDMI output to VGA output is converted

3. j00ls

j00ls Member

Thanks for the reply.

Getting a converter is not really worth it for me - they cost about 40€ here and thats just... not worth it. :p The other thing is that the max. resolution of the one I found is 1024x768 ... which is not really what one would expect these days.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012