Hello - my first post and initial foray into tablets

fred

Mar 25, 2011
@ dwcunpluged: Thanks for that in depth reply. I'm comfortable with file systems so I'll do some further exploring... have to dust off my old unix knowledge (although somewhat limited). Have not installed Android Task Manager as the device has ES Task Manager that showed up last night after installing Astro... but perhaps ATK is more robust so I'll give it a try.
Cannot find Android Task Manager... is that the correct name of the app I should be searching for?

I think I will try and find an app that will do uninstalls just to see if I can get rid of some of the Chinese stuff that I can't use anyway.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Android task killer, that is what you are looking for. Icon is the green android holding a blue x

Sent from my Huawei Ascend M860 using Android Tablet Forum App

fred

Mar 25, 2011
Been reading a lot of articles & posts questioning the use of a task killer?

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
What exactly are they questioning? I have had tremendous success with my task killer on my Huawei Ascend. If you go to the Cricket Wireless website and read the remarks people are posting, the number one complaint is about the battery dying in just a couple of hours. When I first got my phone I decided to play with minefor a day or two to see how things went and get familiar with it before I started trying to take one of every app from the market. The battery life was horrible. My phone almost died twice in the first day. So the first thing I put on was the ATK and set it to aggressive. Now I can go an entire day with moderate usage (I spend quite a bit of time during the day reading posts on this forum and using the crap out of the 3G.) So I can honestly say it has helped me a lot with saving the battery throughout the day.

Last edited:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
You are probably right, but in the interest of peace of mind I have downloaded the watchdog app and disable ATK. I want to see the difference for myself.

datars

Mar 18, 2011
There was actually an article about this type of thing on the XDA site or one similar. Basically what the market is trying to tell you is that your tab doesn't have android.hardware.telephony. The market is still set up to act like you are requesting from an Android phone. I think the Xoom is so far the only tab set up to access the market without this tid-bit. I will try to find the actual article and post a link to it so you can read for yourself. There is a way to fix it if you are a developer or just software inclined. The CommonsBlog — XOOM, Permissions, and the Android Market is where I found one solution, but it was written in reference to the Xoom. I will keep looking and see what else I can dig up. I am not saying this IS your problem, but it is a definite possibility.

Thanks dwcunpluged, I'll read up on that. Maybe someone can use an upload site like MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service and put the "android system info" I need to find out soon

Thanks for any help
-Chuck

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So, after a few days of using the Watchdog app I have come to the conclusion that the ATK is actually not as beneficial as I had once thought. I am not sure what else I did when I installed the Task Killer, but my battery life hasn't changed much since I quit using it and just started watching the apps with Watchdog. So I have stopped using the task killer on both my Huawei and my Superpad and am using the Watchdog app exclusively. It is interesting to see how much CPU each program is actually using. I haven't found a run away program yet.

datars

Mar 18, 2011
This is what I get when installing

Parse error

There is a problem parsing the package

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard of that error when installing an app. Probably something with the app itself.

datars

Mar 18, 2011
Wow, that is the first time I have ever heard of that error when installing an app. Probably something with the app itself.

Try uploading one to me and see what happens

Thanks
-Chuck