Help bringing MID9742-8 completely back to stock

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
Unfortunantly my sisters coby 9742-8 tablet touch screen went bad on her. I am attempting to put the tablet completely back to stock. Heres where I got stuck. When I use Traveller1701 bat file from his .zip found here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

followed the directions to install the stock recovery, everything seems to be working right but the tablet does not reboot into recovery when the program calls for it. I have to choose reboot from the menu options after it finishes. Once I do that I turn the tablet back off and boot into the recovery and find that the cwm recovery is still present.
I tried this

via adb

adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery

adb shell

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
/system/bin/reboot-recovery

It is from vampirefo. post here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...09-cw-recovery-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html

I used a stock recovery.img instead but it still booted into cwm-recovery.

What am I doing wrong?

More information on the touch screen.
It was working fine than all the sudden out of the blue a line running horizontally the long way started pushing randomly along that line. I tried everything on the software side (stock rom custom rom different stock roms cleared dalvik factory reset cleared cash rerooted etc.) I pushed heavily around the border of the tablet but it did not seem to help. Something went wrong so I am just returning it via warranty thus why I want it completely back to stock. It acts up whether it is plugged in or not so not a voltage issue while charging.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunantly my sisters coby 9742-8 tablet touch screen went bad on her. I am attempting to put the tablet completely back to stock. Heres where I got stuck. When I use Traveller1701 bat file from his .zip found here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

followed the directions to install the stock recovery, everything seems to be working right but the tablet does not reboot into recovery when the program calls for it. I have to choose reboot from the menu options after it finishes. Once I do that I turn the tablet back off and boot into the recovery and find that the cwm recovery is still present.
I tried this

via adb

adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery

adb shell

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

It is from vampirefo. post here

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...09-cw-recovery-v6-0-1-1-coby-7042-8042-a.html

I used a stock recovery.img instead but it still booted into cwm-recovery.

What am I doing wrong?

It was working fine than all the sudden out of the blue a line running horizontally the long way started pushing randomly along that line. I tried everything on the software side (stock rom custom rom different stock roms cleared dalvik factory reset cleared cash rerooted etc.) I pushed heavily around the border of the tablet but it did not seem to help. Something went wrong so I am just returning it via warranty thus why I want it completely back to stock. It acts up whether it is plugged in or not so not a voltage issue while charging.

make sure commands are going through, best if you just copy all your input and output from your cmd window.

we can't see what you are typing nor can we see what feed back you are receiving.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Unfortunantly my sisters coby 9742-8 tablet touch screen went bad on her. I am attempting to put the tablet completely back to stock. Here's where I got stuck.

Yeah, I've never been able to get the reboot recovery command working properly in the batch file for some reason.

However, as has already been pointed out, you have a hardware issue. A LCD has a series of transistors running along its edges which control the on and off states of the pixels. In your case, the transistor controlling the blue pixels on that particular line has failed in the "on" position, leaving you with a blue line. That hardware issue however should not prevent you from replacing the recovery. What would prevent you from restoring the stock recovery is if you have an old version of the root utility. Download a new copy of the root utility and try again, as there was a cut and paste error in the older version which would prevent the stock recovery from restoring.

Last edited:

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
make sure commands are going through, best if you just copy all your input and output from your cmd window.

we can't see what you are typing nor can we see what feed back you are receiving.

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Android>adb devices
List of devices attached
20080411 device

C:\Android>adb shell
root@android:/ # /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
done
root@android:/ # /system/bin/reboot-recovery
0+1 records in
1+0 records out
C:\Android>
At that point the device reboots to cwm-based recovery.
Note: I am going to try traveller's method later today by redownloading the files and trying again.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, I've never been able to get the reboot recovery command working properly in the batch file for some reason.

However, as has already been pointed out, you have a hardware issue. A LCD has a series of transistors running along its edges which control the on and off states of the pixels. In your case, the transistor controlling the blue pixels on that particular line has failed in the "on" position, leaving you with a blue line. That hardware issue however should not prevent you from replacing the recovery. What would prevent you from restoring the stock recovery is if you have an old version of the root utility. Download a new copy of the root utility and try again, as there was a cut and paste error in the older version which would prevent the stock recovery from restoring.

I went ahead and redownloaded the cobyadb.zip file and replaced all the files I had previously on except the .dlls (they would not copy over)
I re rooted the device for good measure rebooted than went and followed the directions to install the stock recovery. Like before everything seems to work right but it still boots up into cwm-recovery. (Is there a way to mark/copy data from the .bat after the screen has passed that portion of the information?) All the files push to the devices when your .bat calls for it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Are you sure you are flash stock recovery? where did you get the stock recovery and when you push it what are you calling it, upload your stock recovery that you are trying to flash?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Not that it matters much since the only thing that changed is the batch file itself, but why are you not able to copy the .DLL files? That should not be happening. Also, this may seem rather obvious, but I've made this error myself. Check and make sure that you didn't accidentally rename the CWM recovery as stock_recovery.img.

Heck, since you're trying to restore the recovery to stock anyway, take two copies of the stock recovery from a system dump (if you didn't make one yourself), name one copy "stock_recovery.img" and the other "cwm_recovery.img". That way, no matter which recovery command you execute in the batch file it's going to push the stock recovery. If you still have CWM on the tablet after that, then I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Not that it matters much since the only thing that changed is the batch file itself, but why are you not able to copy the .DLL files? That should not be happening. Also, this may seem rather obvious, but I've made this error myself. Check and make sure that you didn't accidentally rename the CWM recovery as stock_recovery.img.

Heck, since you're trying to restore the recovery to stock anyway, take two copies of the stock recovery, name one copy "stock_recovery.img" and the other "cwm_recovery.img". That way, no matter which recovery command you execute in the batch file it's going to push the stock recovery. If you still have CWM on the tablet after that, then I don't know what to say.

the guy is clearly flashing cw recovery, just thinks he is flashing stock.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012

Heck, since you're trying to restore the recovery to stock anyway, take two copies of the stock recovery from a system dump (if you didn't make one yourself), name one copy "stock_recovery.img" and the other "cwm_recovery.img". That way, no matter which recovery command you execute in the batch file it's going to push the stock recovery. If you still have CWM on the tablet after that, then I don't know what to say.

Here are the stock recovery dumps that I tried

Version 3, Traveller1701, original post
Version 3, Nandroid [COLOR=#698803 !important][COLOR=#698803 !important]Backup[/COLOR][/COLOR] (requires Clockworkmod), Traveller1701, original post

Is there a chance that one of these has cwm-recovery?

I will also try duplication the stock rom and renaming it cwm_recovery.img as well as leaving the same stock_recovery.img

I have a system dump from another device that I own so I might take that recovery as well.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The system dump contains the stock recovery. The system dump is the preferred method when restoring to stock.

The nandroid image was posted for the benefit of a user who requested it. The advantage of using it is convenience. It's easier to restore than using a dump, especially if intending to modify the ROM again. The disadvantage is that it's not wholly stock. Boot.img, bootloader.img, and system.tgz are stock. Recovery.img is ClockworkMod 5.5.0.4.

jmblouin

Oct 28, 2012
I went ahead and took the recovery from the dump of one of my other devices. I made two copies of it and named one stock_recovery.img and the other cwm_reocevery.img. The same thing happened. I am have cwm-based recovery v5.5.0.4 on there right now? Should I try flashing the latest version on top of it first than try to flash the stock recovery over that?

I thought orignally that I was somehow flashing cwm-recovery but now I dont see how?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Is that other device a 9742? Also, did you make your dumps before installing ClockworkMod, or after? It makes a difference.

Play it safe. Use the recovery.img from one of the 9742 system dumps instead, and ignore the nandroid backup. The recovery images for each of the dumps is guaranteed to be stock.