Help: Can't upgrade past 1170

efchem

May 2, 2011
Hello,

I have acquired a superpad recently used. Of course, I looked to tinker with it since I have a android phone that I rooted. I have tried to update the firmware but I always get a brick or a kernel panic problem. Here is what I have done.

Used SD to try to upgrade either through update.zip or by a auto-loader. Unfortunately, I did not read enough and did not copy down the registration number so in 1170, I am having problems. I also tried Froyo 2.2 but that did not work either. I do have a number on the infotmic screen.

The strange thing is that in settings, my storage shows up as 0.96 GB but I thought they were 256 or 512 MB. Was mine altered and how would this affect my ability to update the firmware? I also know that the screw covers were missing so it might have been changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Try flashing the firmware to the latest custom rom (starts with a 3). That will take care of the registration problems. The tool is called winhex and burntool. Any more questions just ask :)

Sent from my SuperPAD using Android Tablet Forum

Edit: Also the 256 or 512 is your ram not your storage. The other number is internal storage.

efchem

May 2, 2011
I tried again and what happens is that it goes through the loading process and finishes. Then it reboots and hangs on ANDROID_ screen. The underscore continues to flash but it never goes beyond that screen. Even after I clear the cache or user data in recovery mode.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
did you use the "official" unofficial rom? Or did you make one? Because that rom is tested extensively. Also, you might have some internal damage with the bios but I highly doubt that. Did you use burntool and winhex? Try using the 1170 rom with just burntool

efchem

May 2, 2011
I got the ROM here. I did use WinHex but I do not see where I would need to use Burntool for 3245. I can always get back to 1170 so it is not a brick but then I will have issues with losing my reg code. I have tried 3245 again, it goes through the process, and then it loads into 1170. It does not seem to take.

thafrogggg

Mar 23, 2011
You do not use burntool to update to 3425. You must use winhex to make a cloned microSD card of the drive info in the 3245 update files. After you make the clone drive you have to format the SD card to FAT32 then you actually copy over the entire android folder that is contained in the 3245 zip file. Then you insert the SD card into the upper slot and turn on the tablet. Just turn it on do not try to go into recovery mode or anything else.

The instructions in the 3245 threads are pretty specific and even I could follow them. I waited a very long time before trying 3245 because it did not have an update.zip method, but once I decided to do it, I got it right on the 1st try. The firmware is stable and so far, I am about 90% satisfied with it.

efchem

May 2, 2011
You do not use burntool to update to 3425. You must use winhex to make a cloned microSD card of the drive info in the 3245 update files. After you make the clone drive you have to format the SD card to FAT32 then you actually copy over the entire android folder that is contained in the 3245 zip file. Then you insert the SD card into the upper slot and turn on the tablet. Just turn it on do not try to go into recovery mode or anything else.

The instructions in the 3245 threads are pretty specific and even I could follow them. I waited a very long time before trying 3245 because it did not have an update.zip method, but once I decided to do it, I got it right on the 1st try. The firmware is stable and so far, I am about 90% satisfied with it.

I have done this many times and it always hangs when it gets to the Android_ screen. I can not get any other ROM to load besides 1170. The only thing I have not tried is using a USB cable and using burntools that way. I have always used the SD card to do updates.

efchem

May 2, 2011
Here is a separate question. How does the sticker on the back help me get a registration code? Also, I have rooted the tablet, is there anything useful to do that would help installation of subsequent firmware?

Last edited:

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
The sticker doesn't apply once you have upgraded I don't think. Rooting is something that gives apps the ability to have complete control over the tablet.

efchem

May 2, 2011
The sticker doesn't apply once you have upgraded I don't think. Rooting is something that gives apps the ability to have complete control over the tablet.

Thanks for your help so far. Do you think that using a USB cable to flash/update the ROM would affect my success rate since SD is not working?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Definitely try the usb cable. It should work.