Help fixing my Clockworkmod. . . .

mr.gone

Mar 25, 2011
I am currently running:

TNT Lite v4.4.0
Kernel version 2.6.32.9-00001-g6e47897-dirty
clemsyn@clemsyn-MM061 #221
Build FRF91

I updated from stock to this using clockworkmod a few months ago. I was looking to install the latest version of Vegan from CW but it did not work. Did some searching earlier this evening and found out I had to update clockwork mod. Searched for about 2 hours and could find ZERO instructions on how to update from clockwork mod 2.5.1.8 to new CWmod v8. Finally came across a post that mentioned using an app called ROM Manager which would do it automatically, so I said cool and went for it.

Now I can't access CWmod at all

I hate to ask a newbie question but I can luckily still boot into TNT, but no clockworkmod. What do I need to do in what order so that CW can work again and then I can move on to VEgan (I'm looking for a more stable ROM and as told that would be a good bet) Thank you to anyone who could lend a hand. Been at it trying to read and fix on my own for a few hours now. I even tried looking at this site but again, do not know what to do in what order to fix (ROM - Viewsonic GTablet For Dummies)

I hope this all made sense. Take care.

Oh, also, when I searched over at xda I found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1023164

but did not find it applied completely to me. Anyone have a good place to start? Thanks again.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I've seen many many posts that users bricking their tablets by using Rom Manager. A great and dangerous apk.
OK, luckily that you still are able to boot into tnt. So let us move forward with caution here:

Can you uninstall Rom Manager in TNT ?

Dave

P.S. TNT is as stable as any other rom's, if not more. If you are looking for stability, stay where you are.

joe_mcp

Dec 7, 2010
I am in a similar situation... I am running CM 7 but updated clockwork using rom manager and now cannot boot into recovery. I can still boot into CM but not recovery. I tried flashing the old bekit CW I had through rom manager but it doesn't work... anyway to get a working CW again?

Thanks,

Joe

mr.gone

Mar 25, 2011
Have you seen this thread [GUIDE]Install Clockwork Mod (CWM) via NVflash - xda-developers ?
Also try to uninstall Rom Manager. Use it when you gain more experiences about the pro's and limitations.

Dave,

P.S. the above link discussed the fix for 1.1 bl. Read carefully.

I will uninstall immediately. Thank you Dave. I will begin this tomorrow and report back. Can you or anyone else give me feedback on Vegan vs the version of TNT I am currently running? I sometimes run into crashes and thought vegan would be more stable. Also pondering if the jump to a honeycomb based rom is worth it? Thanks again.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I will uninstall immediately. Thank you Dave. I will begin this tomorrow and report back. Can you or anyone else give me feedback on Vegan vs the version of TNT I am currently running? I sometimes run into crashes and thought vegan would be more stable. Also pondering if the jump to a honeycomb based rom is worth it? Thanks again.

Would you provide more details about the crashes ? i.e been all along ? or after x app installation ? or after x event ? etc . . .

TNT Lite is very stable, although it may not be as popular as Vegan. You may see Vegan being more stable at the beginning, but that may contribute to data wipe/factory reset and cache wipe before the Vegan installation.

Perhaps, if you are able to uninstall rom manager, install cwm, then do a data wipe. cache wipe, your current TNT Lite will be as stable as ever.

Therefore, it would be beneficial to understand the root cause(s) of crashes before making a haste decision.

As for HC based rom, I am using FB as you've seen several posts and video's that I posted. Whether you would be willing to go to some hassles and give up hw acceleration + camera, smaller fonts + icons, etc . . . then perhaps the answer is yes. But if you are looking for stability and functionality then stay with Froyo based rom (tnt lite and vegan 5.1 are some of them).

Hope that this makes sense.

Dave,

mr.gone

Mar 25, 2011
This makes complete sense. I will stick with what I have then after I can get my CWM working again. I am trying to read through everything to do it with NVFLash and don't want to make things worse.

As far as crashes, I was experiencing force closes when using youtube and browsing a little after I installed the ROM. I never did any heavy using of it and it was actually collecting dust because I got disappointed after buying it. I am going to reset everything and start fresh. I will update whatever steps I take here in case it can be of help to someone else. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Would you provide more details about the crashes ? i.e been all along ? or after x app installation ? or after x event ? etc . . .

TNT Lite is very stable, although it may not be as popular as Vegan. You may see Vegan being more stable at the beginning, but that may contribute to data wipe/factory reset and cache wipe before the Vegan installation.

Perhaps, if you are able to uninstall rom manager, install cwm, then do a data wipe. cache wipe, your current TNT Lite will be as stable as ever.

Therefore, it would be beneficial to understand the root cause(s) of crashes before making a haste decision.

As for HC based rom, I am using FB as you've seen several posts and video's that I posted. Whether you would be willing to go to some hassles and give up hw acceleration + camera, smaller fonts + icons, etc . . . then perhaps the answer is yes. But if you are looking for stability and functionality then stay with Froyo based rom (tnt lite and vegan 5.1 are some of them).

Hope that this makes sense.

Dave,

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Perhaps you would check out 'nvflash4349rev3.zip' which is 'Option 3 (nvflash)' from this thread [ROM - 1.2] Flashback - Honeycomb - Alpha 7.2 (8/11/11) [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com then read 'Windows Readme First.txt'.

This package has several advantages:
. It includes the usb driver for windows
. It flashes the stock 1.2.4349 with larger partition.
. Stock 1.2.4349 is based on a newer 1.2 bootloader which is ready to adapt newer HC rom's.
. You could switch to 1.2 bl froyo using this thread [ROM - 1.2] 3588 Stock Froyo (8/14/11) [G-TABLET\ZPAD T2] - SlateDroid.com
. Or you could use other 1.2 bl froyo such as Calkulin + Clemsyn ver 6 or Beasty + Clemsyn 2.2.1 , etc . . .

Best lucks and hope to hear another good result.

Dave,