Help flashing roms from http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Dear all,
I finally could factory reset my MID X5A/X6D (thanks to l_n and Loomix)
tablet and root it (I used the z4root apk that worked as a champ on my tablet).

I'm now at the point where I'd like to upgrade to Android 2.2.
First of all: on the box there is written that is an X5A, but in the Settings--> Device Information it says that it is an X6D. What ROM should I be looking for?
Anyway, I understood that the roms for my tablet are the one from the team telechip
at the website in the subject.
I would like to give a try to the experimental ROM but the instructions (I'm pasting them below) are not very clear to me:

ClockworkMod Recovery

download recovery.NAME_OF_YOUR_TABLET.img.zip, unzip it, then flash recovery.NAME_OF_YOUR_TABLET.img into recovery partition.
First of all do I need Clockwork Mod Recovery?
If so after I've installed it on my tablet how do I flash recovery.NAME_OF_YOUR_TABLET.img into recovery partition?
(and where is the recovery partition?)
Say I succeed to flash the recovery rom.
The instructions follow:
CyanogenMod

download NAME_OF_YOUR_TABLET.zip and system.img.zip, unzip them. they are nandroid backup images. to flash them, copy 3 files into single directory under nandroid backup directory in SD card, then use restore function in ClockworkMod Recovery.
Do I need to follow the CyanogenMod step as well?
why 3 files? It only mentions two files...
Which is the nandroid backup directory in the SD card?
How do I use the restore function in ClockworkMod recovery?

I guess that for an experienced developer these steps are quite easy, but I'm not an experienced developer, so don't blame me too much :)

If I can succeed I'd like to write a "newbies" step by step guide.
I've seen that in the various forums many people have the same issues I'm having
but to find an easy to follow solution is quite hard :)

Ah, I was forgetting: on my computer I've Linux, so I'd prefer to perform operations
using adb (like adb push and so on) since many tools for this task run under Windows but not under Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,
Cheers, -Luca

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
First of all, yes.
You need clockworkmod recovery because the android 2.2 you are refering to is a 'nandroid' backup that you 'recover' to your pad.

so, lets try to give you the 'ghist'...
Make a backup of your 'pointercal' file via ADB (should be in '/data/data/pointercal')
Look in the CLOCKWORKMOD directory on naobsd's server for the original clockworkmod build with script file.
Look into that script for pointers on how to flash.
Then grab the latest build of the recovery from the EXPERIMANTAL folder.
Also grab the ~2.7MB sized .zip file bet fitting your pad (you might need to try which one it is but i bet on the X6D.zip)
and the system.img.zip from the bottom of the list.
push your pointercal to '/system/etc/'
Start your Pad and pray to te allmighty Konrad Zuse that everything went well.
Install clockworkmod recovery with the commands you learned from the script, use the latet version of the recovery.
Make a backup of your pad!!!!
on your SD card you now have a directory named 'clockworkmod' inside you have a folder 'backup' and inside again backup folders.
Create a new folder inside the backup directory, place system.img, boot.img and nandroid.md5 in there.
Start clockworkmod again, do a factory reset in there and recover that 'backup' od android 2.2 :p

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix, thanks for the explanation. I think to have understood something more but apparently not enough :)
Here is what I have done:
First of all I've backed up my pointercal (adb pull /data/data/pointercal) file and pushed it into /system/etc
adb push pointercal /system/etc (after having remounted /system so that it has write permission).
I've restarted the tablet and everything went fine.

I opened the zip archive http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/clockworkmod/telechips_HSG-X5A_cw2.5.1.0.zip
In this .zip there is the file " install_recovery.bat "
I opened it and saw that it contains:
@echo off
adb push recovery.x5a.img /nand/recovery.x5a.img
adb shell sync
adb shell flash_image recovery /nand/recovery.x5a.img
adb shell sync
adb shell reboot recovery
If I'm not wrong @echo is a windows command, so I just skipped it.

I then downloaded the file: http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/experimental/20101212/recovery.X6D.img.zip
and according to what I've understood I needed to re-flash tse recovery image. I did it issuing the following
commands (similarly to the .bat file contained in the clockworkmod .zip archive):
adb push recovery.X6D.img /nand/recovery.X6D.img
adb shell sync
adb shell flash_image recovery /nand/recovery.X6D.img
adb shell sync
adb shell reboot recovery
Now, you say that at this point I have a folder in my SD card called "clockworkmod" (is there) and that in there there is a folder named "backup"
This folder is not there.
What did I do wrong? (just in case, I've tried to do it also with the recovery.X5A.img and recovery.X5A-G.img... it doesn't seem to be a problem of
the .img file).
Though I couldn't arrive there, the last two steps are not really clear to me:
Create a new folder inside the backup directory, place system.img, boot.img and nandroid.md5 in there. Start clockworkmod again, do a factory reset in there and recover that 'backup' od android 2.2 :p

I know I'm a pain in the ass, but really I couldn't understand what I did differently from what you've told me.
Can you please give me other advices?
Cheers, -Luca

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Damn, you are right i got sidetracked while writing the writing the post o_O

ok, you have done well so far.
First the pointercal backup needs to be pushed back after you have installed android 2.2 else your touchscreen will not work as you expect it to work ;)
Secondly you do not have to flash the recovery.img twice. the .bat should only give you an example on how to do it. The old recovery .img might have interfered with your FWDN flash mode (it did on my m701 so that i needed to kill the 'boot' block to be able to flash regular firmware)
Third the 'backup' folder might be only there after you made a backup of your current firmware. the folder inside that should be named like the current date+time. but you can call your folder with android 2.2 as you like it (i named it 'cyanogenmod2.2' so it is named '/clockworkmod/backup/cyanogenmod2.2')

@echo is indeed a windows command and makes the .bat file run 'silent' without echoing back the commands given inside the batch file so you did good to skip it ^^
(dont know if there is something similar in .sh files)

so, the real steps are:
1: backup /data/data/pointercal
2: flash the latest recovery.img for your pad
3: boot your pad into recovery mode ('adb shell reboot recovery') and make a backup of your current firmware ( - backup and restore -> - Backup )
4: make a new folder in /clockworkmod/backup/ on your SDcard and place the current system.img, boot.img and nandroid.md5 in the new folder.
5: make a factory reset inside clockworkmod recovery ( - wipe data/factory reset )
6: 'recover' that backup with clockworkmod recovery ( - backup and restore -> - Restore )
7: push your pointercal to /system/etc/pointecal
8: reboot your pad and it should work.

Last edited:

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix...
ok apparently I've done a mess now...
Before you've answered to me I followed a slightly different procedure...
I wanted to reinstall the official firmware, so I intalled the official recovery and copied the file
http://teamtelechips.naobsd.org/official/telechips_HSG-X5A_froyo_cm6_beta.zip
as update.zip on my sdcard. (Following this guide here: [rom] Telechips Android 2.2 Froyo For M701 & X5A : HSG X5A MID)
Then I've rebooted in recovery mode (on this tablet I discovered it's not enough the reboot recovery command,
you need to keep pressing the "HOME" during the boot).
I wiped the data and applied update.zip.
The installation went apparently fine.
Unfortunately during the reboot now it stucks on the "small monster" and it doesn't finish the boot.
(I left it on the whole night.. the procedure simply didn't work).
I've tried to reboot into clockworkmod recovery but now the main issue is that
(apparently as you forecasted because of the pointercal) I can't scroll through the menu.
Nothing happens when pressing the buttons.
Did I brick my tablet or I have any hope to recovery it?

Thanks a lot for your help and explanations, very appreciated.

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Oh my...
Dont worry to much, our Telechips Pads are (nearly) un-killable by flashing.
It is a good thing you found out about the 'HOME' key since i would not have thought about it since i do not need that on my m701
(it does not have a 'home' key '^^)

seems you flashed the 'wrong' clockworkmod recovery.img
can you still connect via ADB? -> try to flash a different recovery.img
hopefuly after that the buttons will work again.
the pointercal file is only the calibration data for the touchscreen so it has no influence on the recovery mode.
In the recovery mode you navigate by the hardware buttons of your pad.

Here i speak strictly of my experiences with my m701!
Also i do not think that any official firmware can be flashed via ADB. Those are all only backups or cooked images.
The 'official' thing about the Team Telechips release is that it is a team release (Asure, VeNoMouS and fun) and not something a single person cooked up.
Sadly i know of no way to flash official firmware via Linux (maybe Wine or Virtualbox are possibilities)
to flash firmware you need a Windows PC, VTC driver and FWDN (the later are both are included in most official downloads)
also i do not know where you can get original firmware for your pad, a forum search or google might help better then me (sorry =( )

dont give up ;)

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix, don't worry I'm far from giving up (I feel like when I started using Linux at first and I stuck at the "open bash" advice :))
Now I'm at work so I'll have to try tonight (but this morning I checked that the device is recognized but probably in read only mode,
I'll have to remount a few partitions so that I can write on them).

Before restarting the procedure tonight with a different firmware (probably the one for X6D since pushing HOME has come to my mind only when I've tried
the X5A-G one).
There are a few things I still can't understand:
1) what is the difference between applying the update.zip rather than "recoverying" the nandroid images?
2) you suggest to try a different recovery image (the X5A-G didn't work, so I might try the X6D, I discovered I have to push the HOME button after thinking the X6D
has failed), but I don't understand if you think I should install the release in the /official/ or the one in /experimental (actually since you talk about system.img I think it's the latter, but I'd rather be sure);
3) the pointercal file has to be pushed on the tablet after the successful recovery and before the first reboot, correct?
4) do I need to rename the pointercal file? (in some .zip I have seen it's called something like pointercal.x5a and so on);
5) if pointercal originally was in /data/data why do I have to push it in system/etc?
6) since now I have a few recovery .img in /nand , should I delete them and reflash only the one I need?
7) (optional ;)) what are VTC driver and FWDN?

Thanks a lot for all your help!
When I can make it work again I might write a step by step guide for beginners (from rooting to upgrading :))

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Hi Loonix, don't worry I'm far from giving up (I feel like when I started using Linux at first and I stuck at the "open bash" advice :))
I know what you mean, i got my nick ever since i tried to install my first RedHat distribution on a Laptop :p Drove me a bit loony the linux ;)

...probably in read only mode, I'll have to remount a few partitions so that I can write on them).
might be but as i recal the /nand partition should be writeable
maybe 'adb remount' will be enough.

1) what is the difference between applying the update.zip rather than "recoverying" the nandroid images?
The difference should be only in the packaging if i am not wrong. Maybe the update.zip files need to be signed in a special way (i read something on XDA developers).
Ah yes, THIS PAGE knows more about it.
The clockworkmod files only need the .md5 file to match all other files in the directory.

2) you suggest to try a different recovery image (the X5A-G didn't work, so I might try the X6D, I discovered I have to push the HOME button after thinking the X6D
has failed), but I don't understand if you think I should install the release in the /official/ or the one in /experimental (actually since you talk about system.img I think it's the latter, but I'd rather be sure);
yes, from experimental. the 'official' files are still from the 1st release and fun has done a bit =)

3) the pointercal file has to be pushed on the tablet after the successful recovery and before the first reboot, correct?
it needs to be flashed any time after you 'recovered' the android 2.2 image. you can start the pad without it but your Touchscren will be wired (invertex axis or not responding at all)
The team has not managed to make the touchscreen calibration run so we need a backup of the calibration file of your own pad.

4) do I need to rename the pointercal file? (in some .zip I have seen it's called something like pointercal.x5a and so on);
no, plain old 'pointercal' without extensions is fine. (it is a text file if you look inside)

5) if pointercal originally was in /data/data why do I have to push it in system/etc?
something about read/write previleges or just to make us feel that we did work ourselves for android 2.2, i dont know ^^
i think it is in the original thread on slatedroid. but they have lost the test formatting while converting to a new forum software so it is a block of text

6) since now I have a few recovery .img in /nand , should I delete them and reflash only the one I need?
Yes. NAND space is precious and why keep stuff that does not work.

7) (optional ;)) what are VTC driver and FWDN?
Jippy, bonus round!
VTC drivers are drivers released by telechips that allow Windows (yes, i think they are windows only) to access the NAND of the Pad on a very deep level via USB.
The NAND contains all system files (recovery, boot, system, failsafe, userspace... you can see them all when you use 'adn shell cat proc/mtd')
BUT the pad needs to be in a special 'mode' (flash mode) that can be reached by pressing certain buttons while boot up.
(on the x5a i read there is a switch or pins on the motherboard that enables the mode too)
FWDN is simply the windows flash application that makes use of the VTC driver.

Thanks a lot for all your help!
When I can make it work again I might write a step by step guide for beginners (from rooting to upgrading :))
You are wellcome and that is a very good idea.
I hope i do not confuse you too much '^^

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix (nice nick :) I got it after checking loony on the dictionary :D)
I'll keep trying tonight or during the weekend and hopefully I'll have it working soon :)
Cheers, -Luca

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
I'm stuc whenerver I type: adb shell (or adb shell <command>) I get this error:
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13)

I guess I've lost my root.. so now I have no idea how to do.. :(
(uff this flashing is becoming kind of a joke :D)

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
hmm, it would be easier if i had the pad in my hands ^^
Ok.
when you start your pad right now without buttons pressed what happens, can you access adb and can you use the 'adb shell' command?
then when you start your pad in recovery mode (the one where you cant use the keys) can you use the adb and adb shell command there?
what do you get when you use 'adb shell cat proc/mtd' ?
Probably you can use 'Fastboot' instead of 'adb' and push the new recovery with that directly to the NAND.

In the worst case scenario you need a windows computer to flash like a mortal windows user ;)

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix, sorry I couldn't try it before.
May you please explain me where to download fastboot and how to use it?
Seriously man it's becoming a nightmare this rom flashing stuff :)
If you can write me or link me to the main steps I could try to save my tablet,
tonight I'll try to make some progress!
Thanks a lot in advance :) hopefully soon I won't have to bother you any more ;)

p.s. during the weekend I might meet some friend with Windows on thei pc..
could you write me also the steps to follow in Windows, at least I try to recover it :)
Cheers :)

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Hi Loonix, unfortunately the tablet keeps restarting.
When the small monster appears the tablet is recognized by adb.
After it restarts I get an error saying that the device is not connected, after a while
I can see it using adb devices.
But whenever I try to run adb shell I get this error:
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Permission denied (13) -
If I try to push a new recovery image in /nand/ I get this:
failed to copy '/home/luca/Downloads/Android/X6D/recovery/recovery.X6D.img' to '/nand/recovery.X6D.img': Read-only file system
I am stuck, I've no idea how to prevent the tablet from restarting and issue commands to set permissions and flash a new firmware.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help, Cheers -Luca

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Hi eurobano
Fastboot is a part of the Android SDK in windows, i do not know about the linux version but hoped it was in there too.
then i googled and found this: HTC - Developer Center
on the bottom you can find the linux binary of fastboot.
Commands yould be
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot
wheras the boot image should be in the same directory where you execute the command if i am not misstaken.
so it is 'fastboot' (the binary) 'flash' (what to do) 'boot' (which partition to flash) 'boot.img' (the file name that will be flashed)

There are already so many "howto's" for windows...
1st install VTC driver
2nd plugin unpowered pad, boot up with button combination for FWDN pressed and choose on the windows PC the newly installed driver.
3rd repeat 2 but with FWDN started, if FWDN finds the Pad and dives you access on the right side to the NAND options you are good
if the pad boots into android something went wrong.
4th select in FWDN via the [...] button all firmware files (NAND Data.fai, lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img), use the [add files] buttons to 'realy' add them.
5th press 'start' on the bottom right and wait. often it fails realy early telling you the NAND data has the wrong size, enter the NAND options on the right , select your NAND Data.fai file and create a new one (it is automatic)
If it fails much later with a CRC error you have probably chosen the wrong firmware (HY instead of normal or the other way round)
use a different firmware and try again.

This is very rudimentary and you will probably find better guides with the forum search '^^
If you have skype at your friend send me a PM with the conact name maybe i can help walk you through it.

eroeurbano

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks Loonix I already had flashboot on my computer.
Which are the files I have to flash? Recovery.img and system.img?
What about the nandroid backup I downloaded?

In any case when I type: fastboot flash boot recovery.X6D.img
I get the message "< waiting for device >"

What can I do?

Last edited: