Help installing Huawei broadband dongle

grumpy500

Aug 30, 2011
I have a MID tablet I also have a Huawei E220 Broadband dongle.

When I enter the "Add 3G network" i get a screen open it shows my dongle.
It asks for "Name" "Device number" "APN" "User" "Password"

I have a 3 Sim card in the dongle and I am in the UK

Please can anyone advise what I should put in the boxes

I thank you all in anticipation

Regards

Roger

Aspsusa

Sep 25, 2011
Hi, newbie here. I have much the same question as the TS - except that everything else is familiar terminology to me (from using mobileswith gprs as modems since before 3G existed) except for "device number"?

Otherwise my no-name cheapo (paid 43euros!) chinese MID 5" tablet shows some promising signs, in that it seems to want to automagically choose the right general group of dongles when I plug in my old Huawei E169.
I just can't figure out what "device number" actually means?

A general google search turned up a lot of confused and confusing posts, one or two of which seemed to say that one should put the old *99# here - which seems extremely odd terminology if true as the *99# is more akin to a phonenumber or an AT-command.

It can't be asking for the IMEI or the serial number of the dongle, can it?

(BTW, in quickly checking that I remembered my providers APN correctly I came across this list which seems very handy to bookmark if hopping operators is something you do frequently, or if you just have a bad memory:
International APN Settings for Mobile Broadband Network Operators )

Aspsusa

Sep 25, 2011
Hi, newbie here. I have much the same question as the TS - except that everything else is familiar terminology to me (from using mobileswith gprs as modems since before 3G existed) except for "device number"?
[snip]
I just can't figure out what "device number" actually means?

A general google search turned up a lot of confused and confusing posts, one or two of which seemed to say that one should put the old *99# here - which seems extremely odd terminology if true as the *99# is more akin to a phonenumber or an AT-command.

And indeed it is that strange - or what you put in there doesn't matter (haven't tested that variety yet - duh!).

BTW, my cheapo chinese 5" mini-tablet lists Huawei 169G as supported, but my several years old E169 worked as I had hoped.

2jack

May 7, 2013
I have a MID tablet I also have a Huawei E220 Broadband dongle.

When I enter the "Add 3G network" i get a screen open it shows my dongle.
It asks for "Name" "Device number" "APN" "User" "Password"

I have a 3 Sim card in the dongle and I am in the UK

Please can anyone advise what I should put in the boxes

I thank you all in anticipation

Regards

Roger

hey this is the way how to install broadband to your tablet i hope this will help u "3G Configuration Settings (Broadband for Android Tablets): Huawei e160, e220, e153 only | Facebook"

Last edited: