Help!!! Need to root my coby mid 8084-4 cant find anything

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
Can someone please help me out here ive just bought 2 coby tablets a MID8048-4 and a mid7048. I really need to root and install android market. im not really worried about a custom rom at this point yet but just to get it stock and rooted im pretty sure its 3rd gen but i cant find anything on it or the other in the forums. im a windows user but i have good experience about rooting phones although i have never done a tablet before. just need to root and hopefully install clockwork mod recovery which i am very familiar with. i got these super cheap got my 8048 for 65 and my 7048 for 50 brand new never been opened. but i soon realized what the hell good are they having android 4.0.3 and no market/play.USELESS please someone help me!!!! any guidance will be greatly appriciated reply,pm or email me @ [email protected]. Thanks in advance

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
1. Just because the Play Store isn't on the tablet doesn't make the tablet useless. There are decent alternatives, such as Amazon's Appstore. The Kyros tablets are certified to run it, and many of the most popular apps found in the Play Store can be found on it. I frequently tell users not wanting to root that they should install it and ignore GetJar.

2. Search for your tablet model on the forums. In this forum our developer points another 7048 user to a post where he can root his 7048. However, at this point in time there is no ClockworkMod recovery for these new tablets, because there are no dumps of the firmware to create a copy of ClockworkMod from. So, once you get yourself rooted you need to make a system dump (search for the instructions on how to do the dump) and post it.

3. Remove your email address from your post, unless of course you actually WANT spam flooding your email account.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the info ,what about my 8048 actually I was looking at cobys site. And.looking at the specs for both the 8042 and my 8048 and there practically identical in every way except the 8042 has a different processor but both still 1 ghz. The 8042 is prob older but I bet I could still use the same
Root process and cwm since both have everything same resolution,LCD density for cwm and boot.img and same android versions 4.0.3.the only thing I couldn't see using are any of the roms for the 8042 because of the preset CPU governers that come with the roms such as cm9 that were ported or created for that specific device. But if you can check out cobys site and look at the 2 and tell me what you think I have a hunch that feels like this just might work

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The fact the CPU is.different between the two tablets is the entire reason why the 8042 root process will not work with the 8048. You cannot use the 8042 ROMs on the 8048 for the same reason. ClockworkMod may work, but more than likely it will not.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
I'm gonna supply the 2 dumps of 7048 and the 8048.I'm just wanting rooted stock for now but I would like to have cm9 on both. I know the 8042 has it so it shouldn't be that hard porting wise oncethe dumps are in

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
So is there a rooting process out there for the 8048-4 yet? and im very sorry my other tablet is a MID7036 not a 7048. i know these tablets are new but i would greatly appriciate and advice or insight to what you thinkk i should do.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
So is there a rooting process out there for the 8048-4 yet? and im very sorry my other tablet is a MID7036 not a 7048. i know these tablets are new but i would greatly appriciate and advice or insight to what you thinkk i should do.

8048 and 7048 would have same root method.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
can you possibly link or guide me to the 7048 rooting process for users with windows(vista if that matters)but not the livesuite method if one is out. Is there a clockwork mod yet for 8048? i dont think 7048 recovery is compatible with it. when i root i will be able to get the market and other apps using file explorer to move the files where i need them?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
can you possibly link or guide me to the 7048 rooting process for users with windows(vista if that matters)but not the livesuite method if one is out. Is there a clockwork mod yet for 8048? i dont think 7048 recovery is compatible with it. when i root i will be able to get the market and other apps using file explorer to move the files where i need them?

I have already given you the link.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
what about clockwork mod recovery? same? or do we need it dump to compare to the 7048's and modify.

i just checked the forum thread that youve given me but the person said he was unsucessfull. theres a cx-01 root guide on the but its not the same device. i have the coby adb installed but the window just opens flashes some lines and then closes in less than 3 seconds. do i need to do something special because im running vista or am i just not doing something i should have done before opening it. is there another root guide availabe for the 7048 in another forum or is it as far as weve come to this point. also i have the drivers installed but my comp cant find them and i went to the directory which i have extracted to and tried to select them from there but keeps saying installaion failed. thanks for the advice. im really looking forwared to having root access on my 8048

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't provide windows support, you have to figure out your windows problem.

And the user said it did indeed work for him.

Yes, actually I have tried the instructions listed with success. I now have root access to my tablet. THANKS !!!!

As far as recovery I don't think any exists.

pmb1903

Nov 16, 2012
adb wont stay open my drivers say this device is running properly.i dont know what could i be doing wrong.

Oldsaltydawg

Dec 29, 2012
I am a total noob. Never rooted anything and I just bought the 8048-4 for the wife. We both have android phones and are used to having the the market/play store and it's apps. I'm trying to figure out if I need to get this rooted or just return it, because the wife isn't happy. No facebook, and most of her apps don't work. What and how do I fix this?