Help needed to complete homemade usb charge cable

remoh

Sep 5, 2011
I have no idea if this will work ( it should at least in principal )

I found this article

DIY PSP USB CHARGER - By astrangeone

and this connector

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and put them together with the red wire connected to the central connector and the other three to the outer but when i plugged it in, nothing happened.

if there is anyone out there with a damaged power supply can you split open the connector end and confirm which wire should be in the centre please

thanks

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
In a standard USB cord, you will find a red and a black wire. These are the positive and negative feeds for the 5v you can pull down a USB line. I've made several home made E-Cigs this way.

What I think will be the result, is that you will be able to run a charge to the tablet, but it will take much much longer to charge. It also will not charge it fast enough to have continuous use while plugged in.

I suspect this, because I actually have a LG charger that runs at 5v 1amp that will charge my tablet, but it takes forever. I keep it as a backup.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
The LG charger, btw....I'm sure some of you will want to know the model #

It's a TA-D01WS

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Thinking about it.....I could probably test the idea for you....I can cut the connector from this charger and wire up a USB cord for it.

If it fails, all I need to do is splice back on the old charger.

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Something to consider....the outer part of the barrel will be the negative. So you'll want to use a voltmeter to make sure you are connecting the positive to the correct wire.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
it will take much much longer to charge. It also will not charge it fast enough to have continuous use while plugged in.

That's because the USB ports don't provide enough Amps to charge the tablets properly. If you're charging off of a desktop with USB ports on the front and rear, the rear ones sometimes provide more Amps than the front ones. A powered hub might be better. Good luck!

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
That's because the USB ports don't provide enough Amps to charge the tablets properly. If you're charging off of a desktop with USB ports on the front and rear, the rear ones sometimes provide more Amps than the front ones. A powered hub might be better. Good luck!

Good to know, I'll look around the house for a powered hub.

On a brighter side, I found one of my old cellphones while poking around.....and my wife was just *****ing about hers being ancient. This should fix her up nicely.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Your old phone is now her new one, careful you don't spoil her with your lavish gifts:).

remoh

Sep 5, 2011
i did consider that the usb might not offer enough power so plugged my usb into one of those mains plugs with usb ports, still no joy.

look forward to your findings mvancil

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
I'm gonna be a bit delayed. Wife is in surgery right now. Nothing life-threatening (I hope), but I'm not working any projects at the moment.

remoh

Sep 5, 2011
I'm gonna be a bit delayed. Wife is in surgery right now. Nothing life-threatening (I hope), but I'm not working any projects at the moment.

No worries, real life has to come first ;) Hope it wasn't anything to do with that old phone you gave her :p

mvancil

Aug 25, 2011
Well....I made the cable, and it went exactly as I predicted. It WILL charge the device, but it will do it at 25% of the normal speed. It does not put out enough charge to keep it running while powered on.

The reason why: Standard USB ports will output at [email protected] Amps. The charger for this tablet is [email protected] Amps.

john_tartar

May 3, 2011
? Really?:confused:
It Will never work, barring some massive change in the laws of physics.

We are talking about the Sylvania Tablet? it uses 7.5 volt batters, and a 9v charger.

5v from a USB port won't do anything, except possibly discharge your battery, or damage something.

The charging voltage must be higher that the battery voltage, devices like cell phones use a 3.7v battery, so 5v works fine to change them, but it wont work for this tablet.