Help Needed To Make A Decision

Blossom73

Sep 2, 2013
Hi all

Please help me with my decision.

Originally I had wanted a Kindle Fire HD I have been talked out of that now as I will be tied into Amazon so not a wise move. So I settled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, then another friend pointed me in the direction of the new Google Nexus 7 before it had been released. So, after seeking lots of advice and reading as much as I can I decided that I would go for the new Nexus 7. I've read this morning about the glitches that people are experiencing and am flapping now - I was going to order today. I now don't know whether to continue with my purchase or go back to the Tab2 - not read or heard anything bad about them so far.

Please guys can you help/advise me. Really would like to make a decision today (ASAP). If you think I should go ahead with the Nexus, I was planning on ordering it from PC World as they have 5% off tablets at the moment and I was also going to take out their Whatever Happens policy at £4.50 a month which covers everything (godsend for my laptop) but if anyone can advise me of a better place to purchase then please do :)

Thank you

Natey2

May 25, 2012
So, after seeking lots of advice and reading as much as I can I decided that I would go for the new Nexus 7. I've read this morning about the glitches that people are experiencing and am flapping now
See my criteria for identifying an inferior Android device at http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/showthread.php?p=255207

I regret to say that any device that randomly reboots itself should be avoided.

The 2013 Nexus 7 is randomly rebooting itself for many people (Google it), including unrooted, stock users.

Blossom73

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you, I don't really understand all the technical jargon (sorry). I had heard that it is best to wait until a tablet has been on the market for a while so the teething problems can be ironed out. I wonder if I should just go for the Tab2 then?

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Just like Galaxy phones, Samsung's Galaxy tablets are among the most popular Android devices. Samsung was one of the first companies to come out with an Android tablet. Yes, I'm referring to the original Galaxy Tab that hit the market in 2010. Since then, not only the Galaxy tablets have evolved but other players, including Google, have also entered the market. If you are looking to get a premium tablet, I recommend the Nexus 7. Compared to the Tab 2, it offers better performance, a better screen, more internal storage (32 GB vs 16 GB, but no microSD card slot) and a promise of faster Android updates. The only thing it lacks is a primary camera. If that's very important for you, the Galaxy Tab 2 is a decent, albeit overpriced, option. It's a good, allround device and mostly works well. Just don't expect to be dazzled by it.

Pros: Good screen, dual-window mode, good build quality, thin and lightweight, good battery life

Cons: Poor camera, visible lag during multitasking and gaming, TouchWiz user interface is not as good looking as stock Android, high price

Blossom73

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you edap :) You mention about a primary camera - I thought that the Nexus 7 has a back and front camera? Please forgive me if I have totally the wrong end of the stick - I have no idea about all the technical side really.

I'm wondering if the problems are only on the UK devices. I have read reviews on UK sites and they are all good so far. I'm all a dither and the 5% offer finishes on Wednesday - it's across all tablets though.

To sum up though you'd have no worries buying a new Nexus (even if in the UK)? :)

Angus66

Oct 17, 2011
Thank you edap :) You mention about a primary camera - I thought that the Nexus 7 has a back and front camera? Please forgive me if I have totally the wrong end of the stick - I have no idea about all the technical side really.

I'm wondering if the problems are only on the UK devices. I have read reviews on UK sites and they are all good so far. I'm all a dither and the 5% offer finishes on Wednesday - it's across all tablets though.

To sum up though you'd have no worries buying a new Nexus (even if in the UK)? :)

The 2013 Nexus 7 has both a front and rear camera while the 2012 Nexus 7 just had a front facing one.

Blossom73

Sep 2, 2013
Thank you Angus66, that's what I thought :)

edap - were you recommending the 2nd gen Nexus or the original? :)

edap

Dec 12, 2012
I was merely comparing the original Nexus to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, as opposed to the new Galaxy Tab 3, which would, of course, be compared with the new Nexus. In either case, Nexus is the winner, I feel.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I love my Nexus 7 II. I bought the 1st gen. when it was released and loved it too. I have had no problems at all with either. They are solid performers. The main reason I like them over Kindle HD is that they are pure Android and you get the updates straight from Google when they come out. With Kindle it is altered to meet Amazon's needs. Not to put down Amazon at all. I am now on my fourth new Kindle reader as well. The latest being the Paperwhite, love it.

Blossom73

Sep 2, 2013
Hi guys, I am still tablet-less. Been going around the shops and looking. Recently the Galaxy Note 8 has taken my eye - I had a good play with one a couple of times now - I REALLY like the Note HD app. I am hoping that some of you here can tell me how is compares with the new Nexus. I know the specs are better on the Nexus. From some reviews and comparison sites that I have read it is quite marginal. The Galaxy Note is £100 more than the new Nexus - why?

Ultimately I am asking which is the better table to get and why?

Please and thank you :)

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
I don't think you can beat the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10. Highest screen resolution on the market and you get all the updates as Google releases them. Nexus is the only line that gets instant updates. Other companies get the updates from Google but alter them to go with their particular tablet. Or they may not even send out the update at all. Which is another thing, Nexus is pure Android straight from Google. Everyone else makes changes to the Android software.

johniii

Oct 2, 2012
sorry i bought mine.I have the first one and love it.This one has issues with many things,people buying and sending them back sometimes 4 and 5 times.Google it.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Have you had to send yours back? Because, really our Forum has not had any issues reported by users, yet. And, we have quite a few of them. All happy campers, so far.

rayw796

Dec 9, 2010
I acquired my Nexus 7 Sept 12. Last Friday I sent it to ASUS for repair. Couldn't get it to go past the lock screen. The screen goes black.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Sorry to hear about your problem. Did you try a hard boot/external factory reset before you sent it back?