Help - nontechnical lady in distress

77w

Oct 21, 2012
Hi,
I am sure I am not the first (or the last!), it is now nearly 11pm and I have trawled through the net for some answers to what may seem a simple question (only of you know the answer).
I have just purchased an android tablet, probably fallen off the back of a lorry! as it came in a white cardboard box and no "destruction", this may the way they all come!
Just to also mention that this is my first tablet - I use laptops and old fashion pc's normally, feel I am falling behind technology if I am not careful so got myself a tablet.
After this short introduction, I have managed to put this machine on, I can take pictures on it and also found the calculator (wow, I am proper cleaver!)
My main reason for purchasing this tablet was so that I can use internet - however this is where I get stuck, I can not seem to get internet up on the tablet - I have somehow managed to get internet access through some BTOpenzone (??) no idea what this is as my modem is not through BT and I can not seem to access my own modem in my own house (confused) must be an unlocked one around my house!
So does anyone know what I am missing, at the moment I feel that it is just something in the set up which is not right, but then again I might have bought a crock of ****e as well!
The tablet has no marking on the outside, once open it just says "Atom7", in the legal section is says: Model number A13-MID, Android version 4.0.4, Baseband version 1.5, Kernel version 3.0.8+, it has another load of numbers and letters underneath and also the same for build number.

I know I might sound like a right thick person and I am when it come to computers, I just like to turn them on and they work, I don't care how they work!

So if there is someone out there with similar experices or not who might have the answer to why I can not get internet on my tablet that would be great. Sorry for rambling on.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi 77w, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. While you're waiting, you might try resetting your router. Just turn it off or unplug it for 30 seconds or so and turn it back on. It's surprising how often that works. Good luck!

77w

Oct 21, 2012
Spider, thanks for the tip, I didn't have the patience this evening to look at it, but I will try your suggestion of resetting the router. I did have a slight lightbulb moment at work today as well which also will be tried tomorrow and I think (not sure as it was some time ago) but I might have set my internet modem as hidden from view. That is a probable cause as well, sometimes it is the simplest things that trips you up :confused:
I will try some things tomorrow and let you know if I am still unsuccessful (probably) or if you see a pig fly past then I have managed to sort my internet connection out. The reason for my doubts is that the tablet does pick someones internet up but I still can not connect to any websites or even google search page, well time will tell if I might even give in and see if I can get a favour from the IT crowd at work ;)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I might have set my internet modem as hidden from view. That is a probable cause as well, sometimes it is the simplest things that trips you up :confused:

That's a definite no no with tablets, and does nothing beyond giving you a false sense of security..

Sabi

Oct 23, 2012
Hey 77w, what you have bought is an import from probably China ( 7 Inch Allwinner A13 Mid Tablet PC Atom 512MB - Detailed info for 7 Inch Allwinner A13 Mid Tablet PC Atom 512MB,Mid Tablet PC Atom,7 Inch Allwinner A13 Mid Tablet PC Atom 512MB,TT-MID-A13A on Alibaba.com ), people buy them in bulk and sell them on. I'm not sure how capable they are but a friend of mine bought a Cube one and swears its excellent. The problem you're going to have is the after sales care which is going to be none existent. But anyway, enough of the that. Have you been to the wifi setting etc' ?, this should give you a list of the wifi connections in your area. Once you're in those settings your wifi should come up, which you will then need to put in your WEP/WSP code in to access your router. Seldom as it is, you may need to go to the IP address of your router and manually let the tablet have access, the IP address of your router should be on it, just type that address into your search engine.
I've just joined myself and thought I would just throw in my tuppence worth ok, good luck

The link may be removed by the mods, I'm not sure. Apologies to the mods if so