Help please

guitarbedlam

Jun 21, 2011
Hey guys,
I got the ZT180 from my uncle. I tried to root it using z4root, and now it wont boot past when it shows the android logo and then has the printed word "android". Any idea how I can fix this?
Thanks!

VonSpyder

Apr 16, 2011
flashing a new ROM onto it should do the trick (should also make it run a little better AND root it too) for info on that visit the HcH forums as they should have a rom for it...if I find one I think would work Ill let you know.

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
First off use Universal androot 1.6.1 found here [APP] [ROOT] 1-click root for N1 (Latest ver: 1.6.2 beta 5) - xda-developers never try to use any other way of rooting the zt-180 abd do not let universal androot install superuser you will find a drop down box that lets you flag do not install. Second VonSpyder is right you will need to install (flash) a new Rom (firmware) on your zt-180 to get it working again here is a link to the official roms Technical support_ZenithinK pick the one that fits your zt-180 and follow the readme file you find inside after unzipping.... Hope that helps

guitarbedlam

Jun 21, 2011
Thanks guys I'll try those flashes from the website. Earlier when I tried, when I put it in the flash mode it said "no zImage_update found" or something. Am I doing something wrong here?

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
What zt-180 do you have? Ram 256 or 512 ? What menory do you have 2meg or 4meg? Does it have a cam? Do you know what color mother board is and what version jade or ruby? What rom version is on the zt-180 now? And what rom did you try to flash? I know these are a lot of questions but all will need to be answered before anyone can really help you. You might look here Wiki:ZT-180 FAQ - Wiki it was a lot of help to me and if you have not already try reading some of the zt-180 fourms there you will find a lot of help. After doing that ask again here or there and i or someone will try to help...

guitarbedlam

Jun 21, 2011
I have zt180 v2 I believe
What zt-180 do you have? 512
What menory do you have 2meg I believe
Does it have a cam? Front facing
Do you know what color mother board is and what version jade or ruby? No idea
What rom version is on the zt-180 now? Froyo 2.2
And what rom did you try to flash? Wasn't trying to flash, tried to root with z4root and then unroot when it didn't work

I tried looking thru but everything is giving me the same answers which isn't fixing my problem... thanks!

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
Nothing can be done about the root,unroot problem without flashing new rom. You said you tryed and got file not found what rom did you try? Did you unzip files and put them inzt-update folder? If so what files did you put in folder?

guitarbedlam

Jun 21, 2011
I tried a few of the custom roms as well as the stock update roms. I did put them in the zt-update folder I created. And I put the 8? files in, including the zImage_update file, which the tab said could not be found.

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
I tried a few of the custom roms as well as the stock update roms. I did put them in the zt-update folder I created. And I put the 8? files in, including the zImage_update file, which the tab said could not be found.

Try reading this forum New 0603 ROM - SlateDroid.com and see if it helps but remember you have 512ram and 2gb memory so you have a G2 where as they are talking mostly about 512ram 4gb which is a G0 (or sometimes they talk about it as a Gx) so any files you download will be for the G2. There is a lot more action and a lot more people with 180's on that board many posts a day here there are only 1 or two post a day about 180's..... so look through the other 180 forums there as well you will find a lot of info and a lot of help there.....here it seems to be just me right now and i do not know everything i just know how i got it to work for me and am trying to help others

Veblin

Apr 23, 2011
Use only a micro SD card that is the same size or smaller than your tablets internal sd storage, 2GB or 4GB for updates. Larger cards may not work for flashing updates and may give the error No zImage_update.

Last edited:

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
Use only a micro SD card that is the same size or smaller than your tablets internal sd storage, 2GB or 4GB for updates. Larger cards will not work for flashing updates and will give the error No zImage_update.

I think you are wrong i use a 8gb card on my V1 and a 32gb card on my V2 and both work fine as a mater of fact i have used the 32gb on the V1 as well now if you have a bad card like some i have bought off ebay and are not true 8, 16, 32 gb cards i can understand there would be a problem but as long as the card is good and formatted to fat 32 and set as primary it should work fine no mater the size. I may be wrong but i do not think so

Veblin

Apr 23, 2011
Herkfrog - you may have been able to update using a larger card, but many people get a No zImage_update error when trying to update. guitarbedlam is getting that error and the solution is to use a smaller card to update. It may be that a 4GB card would work for updates in all cases but I do not know that for sure. I do know that if you are getting a No zImage_update error, that you will most likely not get that error if you update using a card that is the same size or smaller than your tablets internal sd storage. 2GB or 4GB.

Last edited:

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
Ok if you say so i will believe you but i have done a lot of reading and have never seen this fix mentioned before but if it works for you and i would guess others then it works.

sabboo

Jun 11, 2011
I use Universal Androot, and every time the only thing it accomplishes is disabling my wi-fi until I stumble on a way to accidentally restore it. I've never gotten it rooted in three months of trying. Trying to find help just to fail has been like calling about my phone bill and talking to an illiterate in India. Everybody gets off topic & starts in with rote answers to the wrong questions.

Sent from my zt180 V2 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
Question first are you using universal android root 1.6.1 (other versions do not work right)? and when you run it do you use the pull down menu about superuser and flag the do not install superuser (if you are letting it install superuser that is the main problem)?