Help rooting a Coby 7030...

mi1683

Dec 30, 2012
Hi,

First post etc, great forum, wondered if someone could help?

I've been following the instructions on the sticky to try and root a Coby 7030 but I am getting an error:

Cannot stat ‘su’ No such file or directory

During the root process.

I have installed the ADB driver and the Coby shows in device manager as an android device.
Then I have run the root_restore.bat and gone through the root process for option 1 which is 703x Generation 3 tablets but after the 2nd reboot I get the above error.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
There was some question as to whether the 7030 and 7032 could be rooted using the root utility, because they aren't listed on Coby's site. Have you tried Vampirefo's root method?

mi1683

Dec 30, 2012
There was some question as to whether the 7030 and 7032 could be rooted using the root utility, because they aren't listed on Coby's site. Have you tried Vampirefo's root method?

Thanks for the response. It would just be my luck it can't be rooted, it was bought as a present and wouldn't have been my first choice.

I have been trying to use Vampirefo,s method, that's when I get the error. What is the su its referring to?

What is the issue with the 7030 then, has no one else rooted one before?

Happy for this 1 to be a guinea pig if it helps others out :)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Ok, let's make sure we're on the same page.

You've tried Vampirefo's method as well as mine and in both cases you're getting the error?

"su" is the superuser binary. In simpler terms, this is the file that actually provides root capability to your tablet. We have had users successfully root this tablet, and I had to search to find it. Check this thread and with luck you should be good to go.

mi1683

Dec 30, 2012
Ok, let's make sure we're on the same page.

You've tried Vampirefo's method as well as mine and in both cases you're getting the error?

"su" is the superuser binary. In simpler terms, this is the file that actually provides root capability to your tablet. We have had users successfully root this tablet, and I had to search to find it. Check this thread and with luck you should be good to go.

Ok, so the first thing I followed was this thread by vampirefo:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...pps-telechips-7032-7034-7036-7048-8048-a.html

I placed the root_gapps_signed.zip on to the memory card but when I go into Settings/About Tablet there is no section named "System Updates" so I cant go any further. I've looked elsewhere in the settings menu for this but no joy.

The second method I attempted I downloaded the CobyADB.zip from here:

CobyADB.zip

This contains a batch file that when run takes you through a root process. It is at the point of the second reboot that I get the 'SU' error.

Any help greatly appreciated.

mi1683

Dec 30, 2012
Scratch all that I'm sorted!

I had to boot it in recovery mode, default to factory settings and then when I ran the update.zip it has rooted it and installed Google Play.

Thanks for the help though!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Make a dump and post it please? Also, if you used Vampirefo's root method successfully this confirms that your device as well as the 7032 use Telechips processors.

Last edited: