Help trying to remove CM7 and restore back to stock.

rdb4133

Aug 17, 2011
Hello all! I have been banging my head against the wall with a Nook Color I'm trying to restore to stock. I've followed several different guides all with the same results. When trying to flash any of these files: nookcolor_1_4_1_signed-cwm-OC.zip or nookcolor_1_4_2_update.zip through CWM I keep getting this error message: "E: Can't open /sdcard/nookcolor_1_4_2_update.zip (bad)"

That happens with either of the 2 zip files. I have done everything I can find on here or XDA from wiping data, system, davlik, cache, etc. etc.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. Are you using the latest CWM? Since you are currently on CM7 you can go into ROM Manager and then flash the latest Recovery just to be sure.
2. Are the downloaded zip files good? Have you checked the MD5 Sums?
3. Are you putting the zip files on a good working SD card? If you are using a bootable SD card just try putting the zip files on a regular data SD card instead.
4. Are you sure the SD card is seating correctly? Do you have any issues accessing the card from CM7?

rdb4133

Aug 17, 2011
Thanks for getting back to me J515OP! I answered your questions to the best of my knowledge/abilities below.
1. Are you using the latest CWM? Since you are currently on CM7 you can go into ROM Manager and then flash the latest Recovery just to be sure.
> I'm running 3.2.0.1 CWM. Unfortunately I can't get it to boot it anything right now besides CWM of my SD card.
2. Are the downloaded zip files good? Have you checked the MD5 Sums?
> As far as I know the files are good. Is there an easy way to check the MD5 sums?
3. Are you putting the zip files on a good working SD card? If you are using a bootable SD card just try putting the zip files on a regular data SD card instead.
> The files are on my bootable SD card.
4. Are you sure the SD card is seating correctly? Do you have any issues accessing the card from CM7?
> Since this is my bootable SD card I would assume it's seated correctly. I can't test how it's being accessed in CM7 but CWM seems to be booting from it fine and 3 of my Windows 7 PC's all access it fine as well.

I'm kinda stumped at this point! :confused:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I never tried using the 1.4 file but 1.3 worked fine for me. Sadly, multiupload.com has been taken off line and I can't link you to the files I used. It was a simple matter or formatting/wiping data, system, cache and Davlik and then running the .zip file when I did.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ok, so you are using a bootable CWM card and that is working correctly but it is not flashing the zips for the stock ROMs correctly. It looks like at least one of the files you are trying to flash is the B&N update file (nookcolor_1_4_2_update.zip). This can't be flashed through ClockWork Mod and would lead to an error (the other zip should have flashed fine though).

Here is the file to restore the Nook to 1.4.1 (Deposit Files) from this post which includes other versions based on stock if you are interested (xda-developers - View Single Post - [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM) and might be where you got the OC zip file. Just place the zip file in the root of the bootable SD card (not in any folder), choose wipe date/factory reset, wipe cache partition and then go to advanced and wipe the dalvik cache. This will make sure you are totally clear. Then choose install zip from SD card and choose the 1.4.1 zip file. Once it is done flashing hold the power button a few seconds until the Nook turns off. Then remove the bootable SD card and power back on.

From there you can follow the B&N procedure to update to 1.4.2 (NOOK Color™ - Sotware Updates - Barnes*&*Noble) using the zip file it appears you already downloaded from their site and were trying to flash or just wait for it to update over the air.

JP

rdb4133

Aug 17, 2011
Thanks to both of you for your help! All of the steps that JP described I could have sworn I did in that exact order with no luck, but today I re-downloaded the files he linked to (which were some of the same ones I used before) and went through the process again and I finally able to flash back to stock! Woo hoo! :)

I never tried using the 1.4 file but 1.3 worked fine for me. Sadly, multiupload.com has been taken off line and I can't link you to the files I used. It was a simple matter or formatting/wiping data, system, cache and Davlik and then running the .zip file when I did.

Ok, so you are using a bootable CWM card and that is working correctly but it is not flashing the zips for the stock ROMs correctly. It looks like at least one of the files you are trying to flash is the B&N update file (nookcolor_1_4_2_update.zip). This can't be flashed through ClockWork Mod and would lead to an error (the other zip should have flashed fine though).

Here is the file to restore the Nook to 1.4.1 (Deposit Files) from this post which includes other versions based on stock if you are interested (xda-developers - View Single Post - [UPDATE ZIP] Stock 1.2 update.zip flashable from CWM) and might be where you got the OC zip file. Just place the zip file in the root of the bootable SD card (not in any folder), choose wipe date/factory reset, wipe cache partition and then go to advanced and wipe the dalvik cache. This will make sure you are totally clear. Then choose install zip from SD card and choose the 1.4.1 zip file. Once it is done flashing hold the power button a few seconds until the Nook turns off. Then remove the bootable SD card and power back on.

From there you can follow the B&N procedure to update to 1.4.2 (NOOK Color™ - Sotware Updates - Barnes*&*Noble) using the zip file it appears you already downloaded from their site and were trying to flash or just wait for it to update over the air.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Woohoo is right! Glad you are back to stock(?) Well maybe not, but glad you did what you wanted to do ;)