Help?? why ask?

J

jimbo7630

I find it incomprehensible that someone will register and post a question (sometimes also incomprehensible) and then log out immediately (sometimes never to return) Why??:confused:

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Well I have noted that some replies to posts are answeres better suted to more advanced users.
For example, some one asks for advice on a basic tablet to run Kendle and Nook apps and do a few other minor things. The best thing here IMHO is to direct them to a reliable inexpensive tablet that need as little work as possible to make it user ready if any at all.
What I see is replies telling people to buy X device and root it then dual boot with Y rom and do Q with R and in the end the new member is looking at a algebra equasion for this unit over a simple question.
Normaly the content of the post will pretty much show what the members knowledge is, also is this the members first post or one of the first.
Current members need to read and I mean really read the post and get a good idea of what the question is rather than scan it and then give an agebraic answer.
Which will scare most new people away.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Well I have noted that some replies to posts are answeres better suted to more advanced users.
For example, some one asks for advice on a basic tablet to run Kendle and Nook apps and do a few other minor things. The best thing here IMHO is to direct them to a reliable inexpensive tablet that need as little work as possible to make it user ready if any at all.
What I see is replies telling people to buy X device and root it then dual boot with Y rom and do Q with R and in the end the new member is looking at a algebra equasion for this unit over a simple question.
Normaly the content of the post will pretty much show what the members knowledge is, also is this the members first post or one of the first.
Current members need to read and I mean really read the post and get a good idea of what the question is rather than scan it and then give an agebraic answer.
Which will scare most new people away.

I take it as a criticism to my reply to the guy in another thread who was asking for a Tablet to use with apps like nook and Kindle . Please learn to read before giving criticisms .I never said to root the nook, I told him to buy the Cm 7 card. How do you dare to critizise a member who try to help another member! Respect guys.. ...respect!

Samsung Galaxy Note

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Not quite what you say, I know you never said to root, I am referring to a general consensus of responses, I see it on this forum and others I go to. It was not just your post I refer to, but how many posts are answered here on this forum and on others where obvious new members that are new to android or have even less than basic knowledge or understanding of these devices are referred to a device that will require obvious work that these members will more than likely be unable to do. The best thing to do in these circumstances is to direct them to a device that requires little to no fuss to make it usable for them. You did say something to the effect of doing a dual boot with CM7 though. I would think that changing the boot structure of a Nook like any other computer would require super user permissions and for a android device I would think that would mean rooting, so even though you never said it your course of action dictated that rooting would be necessary.

My point in the first post still stands. New users with little to no knowledge of these devices need to be directed to something that requires little to no work done to them to make them usable to the member.
Take my post how you like, I do not believe I was wrong in my interpretations.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
You did say something to the effect of doing a dual boot with CM7 though. I would think that changing the boot structure of a Nook like any other computer would require super user permissions and for a android device I would think that would mean rooting, so even though you never said it your course of action dictated that rooting would be necessary.

You can purchase or create an SD card with CM7 or ICS on it. To dual boot a Nook, all you do is insert the card and turn it on.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Where would one find something like this? What other devices work this way? Does this card also use itself as storage if one downlods apps while running the side ROM?
And no disrespect to IDK, I still believe new members who have little or no experience with these devices should be pointed to a device that requires little to no additional work out of box to make it usable, and first let them gain some hands on experience with them before directing them to things like this. Booting through SD etc just adds confusion to the unknown for new members who know so little right off.
JMHO. Cheers ;)

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The ICS card that IDK has been running on her Nook was purchased on eBay and I know there are people selling CM7 cards there as well. I'm not sure which tablets support booting from an SD card, but that's one reason the NOOKcolor is so popular. You can run a rooted, modified OS, but if you need to restore for warranty reasons or whatever, just pop out the card and it's done. It's very similar to the process Windows uses. When you install Windows from a CD/DVD, you boot a program from the CD/DVD drive that creates the system for you. Also, you can create recovery discs to restore your system or run an anti-virus toolbox if Windows is damaged to the point it won't boot. Most computers do this by default. If not you simply change the BIOS to look for a boot program on the CD/DVD first and then go to the hard drive if none is found. If you need/want to know more, click this link http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html Hope that helps.:cool: