Help with 10"+ tablet purchase decision.. beating dead horse?

witsbusa

Aug 15, 2013
I am new here, but figured I'd come to the experts because I'm hoping to get a definitive answer.. I have a Galaxy tab that we got free for some reason from Verizon. My kids have beaten it up, and I'd really like to get a 10"+ tablet for reviewing and some revision of documents for work, and also, I want to use it for a mobile music source through bluetooth, with navigation and I'm a gearhead, so what actually got me starting to think was the vehicle monitoring apps available to monitor data sent from a bluetooth transmitter hooked into my vehicle's ECU.

Anyway, I originally was thinking that I would go with a verizon wireless compatible device and was looking at the Note 10.1 or a Tab 2 10.1.. but then I started thinking about the fact that my Galaxy Note 2 can act as a mobile hotspot, so connecting to the Verizon cell system and having an independent data line isn't really a necessity.

I do want a tablet with the microSD slot so I can just take music and pictures from my card on my phone and use it in the tablet when I want... so unfortunately, that rules out the Nexus 10 which disappoints me.

So I guess my requirements list for my android tablet is:

* Decent performance
* Bluetooth
* GPS
* External storage slot
* Big screen, but slim design and reasonable heft so I can use a car mount
* Wifi to hook up with my mobile hotspot (or a verizon sim card compatible device)

I really think that is it. I want to purchase once, and be done for a while. Price is not my top criteria, though obviously I don't want to throw away all money on features I'll never understand or use.

I seem to keep steering back to Galaxy Tab 2 (or 3, but I don't see the benefit of the additional bucks) 10.1, Galaxy Note 10.1 (though I don't really see myself getting use out of the pen if that is a big selling point - I have a note 2 and I haven't used the pen thing yet!). I also see the Asus tablets in the same price range, but I just don't know enough about these things to know if they are good units or not.

I love the thought of the Google Nexus 10, with access to the newest and coolest android operating system features, but the lack of external storage just baffles me! I'll ask this, though.. I have a central home server, where I store all my music, movies, etc. I organize them and transfer what I want to my phone using media monkey on my laptop. Am I over-valuing the external storage card issue? My storage reality on my Note 2 is 16gb internal space with 8.11gb available. Additionally, I have 29.71gb total additional space on my SD card, and have 19.43 available. Therefore, I am only using 18.17gb which includes apps, and 5.77gb of "system memory".

Since I put music on, take music off.. and SHOULD take more pictures and movies off the device, I probably shouldn't even be worried about space, right? The only thing that sticks in the back of my mind is that if we're going on a trip or something, and the kids want movies, it would be nice to be able to upload a bunch on a 64gb card and pop them in for the trip.. but we do still have the little tab device, or a laptop for that matter.

If anyone has the knowledge and experience to point me to THE right device, I'd greatly appreciate it. I just get overwhelmed trying to research this topic and am probably overthinking it.. Should I just bite the bullet and go with the Note 10.1?

Specific guidance is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I can't wait to get my mitts on my device and start learning from you all! Thanks a ton in advance.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi, witsbusa,read your post, i think the PiPO MAX M9 pro Quad Core GPS 32GB Tablet PC is very suitable for you ,which is the latest tablet pc, it carry Android 4.2 RK3188 OS, has 10.1 Inch 1920*1200 Capacitive Touch Screen, support Bluetooth,GPS, Dual Camera,RAM 2GB+ROM 32GB ,WiFi,3G .
Have a nice day
SpeMall.com

edap

Dec 12, 2012
Hi, witsbusa.

Welcome to the Forum.

I would definitely stick to an international brand-name product. Acer, Asus, Amazon, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, all have new 10-inch HD tablets with reliable service.

Good luck.
Ed