Help with Crystalview EP-4, won't boot.

IamTed

May 15, 2011
Hi everyone,
A couple of months ago, I bought a Crystalview EP-4 tablet, to get me thru until I could afford an iPad. ;-)
I rooted it to try and back it up, but forgot to try and get a copy of the ROM. Everything was working until a few days ago, it wouldn't boot up. If you turn it on, you get the Crystalview splash screen, then a Welcome splash screen and then it will get to the Android splash screen. At that point, I get an error that a process has stopped working. Regardless if I choose to wait or terminate the process, it will return to the Android screen. I have tried every button combo I can think of, but it won't get past the Android screen.
Does anyone know if this unit is marketed under a different unit that I maybe able to get a ROM to flash to it? I have been serching the net and I haven't found something that is the same and I don't want to brick it! :eek:)
Thanks,
Ted

Here are the spec's:

Features/Specifications:
  • CrystalView E-Pad Touch 4GB 7-inch Touchscreen Android 2.1 Internet Tablet

• General Features:
  • Black face, silver back panel
  • 7-inch TFT touch panel (resistive screen, not capasitive.)
  • 800 x 480 resolution
  • Google Android OS 2.1 pre-installed
  • Telechips TCC8902 720 MHz processor
  • 256 MB DDR2 RAM
  • 4 GB internal memory
  • microSD/SDHC card slot (128 MB to 32 GB)
  • USB 2.0 interface
  • Integrated IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
  • Built-in speaker and microphone
  • G-sensor function provides orientation sensing
  • Supports txt and pdf eBooks
  • Supports various audio/video formats
  • Supports various photo formats
  • Built-in rechargable lithium battery
  • Supports add-ons from Android Apps Store

• Battery Specifications:
  • Lithium rechargable
  • 3400 mAh capacity
  • DC 5V @ 2A current
  • Physical Features:
  • Menu, Home, Back buttons on face
  • Volume + on side
  • Volume - on side
  • Microphone on front
  • Power/Sleep on side
  • DC 9V input on bottom
  • USB port on bottom
  • USB host port on bottom
  • Mini HDMI output
  • Card slot on bottom
    [*]3.5 mm headphone jack
Here is a picture:
$EP-4-4858-unit.jpg$EP-4-4858-soft.jpg
$EP-4-4858-box.jpg$EP-4-4858-gal.jpg
pencil.png

Mollo

May 25, 2011
Hi Ted,
I also have the same model. Have you successfully connected with ADB or have Terminal Emulation running? If so, we can try flashing some of my backup mtds.

I'm still a noob with android, so I'm not sure which partition is giving you problems, but I'm guessing something went awry in the system partition (mtd2).

as far as a ROM is concerned, I don't think anyone has created one targeted for our tablet, but so far it looks like its a generic Telechips build, so possibly another ROM would be compatible, but I didn't want to risk it until I'm sure I could recover back to my initial state. If you have some ideas with that, please share ;)

cataclysm

Dec 31, 2011
Hi Ted,
I also have the same model. Have you successfully connected with ADB or have Terminal Emulation running? If so, we can try flashing some of my backup mtds.

I'm still a noob with android, so I'm not sure which partition is giving you problems, but I'm guessing something went awry in the system partition (mtd2).

as far as a ROM is concerned, I don't think anyone has created one targeted for our tablet, but so far it looks like its a generic Telechips build, so possibly another ROM would be compatible, but I didn't want to risk it until I'm sure I could recover back to my initial state. If you have some ideas with that, please share ;)

I am able to ADB into it, but I do not have a any backup or rom to flash it with :-(
It will not boot, but I can get into the bootloader mode and ADB to it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks