Herotab M8

vidavi

Feb 23, 2011
I confirm bugs mentioned in above threads for v1 firmware. I havent tested gps thoroughly yet but it seems that copilot freezes when trying to search for gps signal. I have one question. Does anyone tested yet 3g dongles? Can we make a list of working 3g dongles or usb sticks working with herotab m8 non 3g version, except huawei e1750 mentioned in merimobiles. I want to know if higher data transfer usb sticks than E1750 work?

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Checked the GPS on my Herotab M8 (without 3G) and it found a fix in about 5-6 minutes.

Noticed:
- Volume buttons are reversed

Does anyone else had problems with Youtube to play videos?

Yup, buttons reversed, can't play youtube videos. Have no idea why...

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Did any of you found out how to use the HDMI out capability of the device. I am having trouble with it. No matter which option I try - the TV set gives me "No signal" message.

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Don't you have to press some key combination to transfrer the signal to the TV set? I tried everything and the movie keeps playing only on the tablet. Could this be a problem related to the quality of the hdmi cable it self?

Sent from my M801 using Android Tablet Forum

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Ok, these are my first imressions considering my Samsung based Sinor M8 tablet. I'm using the latest 1.0beta firmware.

Wifi signal detection & connectivity is very low. Compared to HTC Desire and even to plain mobile phones like Nokia 5800 this devices wireless capability is bellow expectations, especially when you compare the size of each device.

GPS signal is unusable, close to non-existent. Nothing more to say here.

HDMI output, at least on my tablet is useless. I asked my chinese supplier to give a howto on the subject of transfering the AV signal to the tv set some three days ago. Still missing in action... :)
Some users here reported that they have managed to connect the device with the tv, but complain on a constant sound lag.

Still haven't tested the opengl graphic accelerator so I can't comment on that. Yet.

USB connectivity is frustrating. I've added an extra 8GB micro sd card, but cannot conect her via the usb cable. I don't know, maybe it's the card it self, but I constantly get some strange "Bad magic number" error on my pc display.

In one in four or five times when you put your tablet to sleep, the only way to wake it up is to use the reset button.
:-(

I don't have a 3G capable device so I can't comment on that.

To early to say anything about the battery.

Display resolution and clarity kiks ass!

Touch screen sensitivity is reasonable.

Currently, considering all the functions that do not work the device is overpriced. Our friends from China have a long way to go if the problems with the functionality of the device are only software based. I hope we'll all be positively supprised.

Sent from my M801 using Android Tablet Forum

fdcuneta

Aug 3, 2011
Hi,

I just received my Herotab M8 yesterday and and tried GPS and failed. Also didn't have the Flash player. I also getting the same issue with the sleep mode not waking up without resetting it. Is there any fix already? I emailed Merimobile and no response yet. Thanks

zlochko

Jul 29, 2011
Hi,

I just received my Herotab M8 yesterday and and tried GPS and failed. Also didn't have the Flash player. I also getting the same issue with the sleep mode not waking up without resetting it. Is there any fix already? I emailed Merimobile and no response yet. Thanks

Latest (and I sincerely hope) greatest firmware version - 1.0. This time out of beta.
Download here

Considering the flash support, you need to install it from the Android Market. But you still won't be able to watch Youtube simply by visiting the site.

Last edited:

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
You will need to install the Windows driver first so the M8 will be recognized by the Windows as a 'Focus MID'.
The update-um2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip file does only include the firmware and Android Debug Bridge files.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
You will need to install the Windows driver first so the M8 will be recognized by the Windows as a 'Focus MID'.
The update-um file 2801-1.0-4G-signed.zipdoes only include the firmware and Android Debug Bridge files.

Thanks but I'm still confused :confused:

I already have those drivers installed and one of my firmwares looks like that:

u1Avn.png

it comes with an update-ite.bat file which I executed.

So, I still don't have a clue how to get the 2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip on my device:confused::(

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
The files in the picture are only firmware (related) files no Windows driver files.

If you connect a windows pc with the USB OTG connection of the M8 does it appear in the Windows device manager as a 'Focus MID'?
If so, windows driver for M8 is installed and you can start to update the firmware, if not you need to install the windows driver first.

To start the firmware update process: power off the M8, connect the M8 to the windows pc, press and hold the volume- button and press the power button.
The M8 should show a blue screen and you can run the update-ite.bat file to update the firmware (screen color will change).
If it seems nothing is happening after pressing the keys reconnect the USB cable and you should get a blue tablet screen.

ColonelZap

Sep 16, 2010
Thanks again, but the problem remains :(

First of all, I am pretty sure I have the drivers installed because I flashed the M8 before :)

No, here's the problem:

The M8 should show a blue screen and you can run the update-ite.bat file to update the firmware

The update-um2801-1.0-4G-signed.zip does NOT contain an update-ite.bat file!
This is what's inside the zip file:

RhM4V.png

As you can see, there is absolutely NOTHING I can run :( So, my questions remains: How do I flash these files on my M8:confused:

Thanks again and I'm sorry if I am acting "dumb" ;)

pat81ok

Aug 6, 2011
The files in the picture are only firmware (related) files no Windows driver files.

If you connect a windows pc with the USB OTG connection of the M8 does it appear in the Windows device manager as a 'Focus MID'?
If so, windows driver for M8 is installed and you can start to update the firmware, if not you need to install the windows driver first.

To start the firmware update process: power off the M8, connect the M8 to the windows pc, press and hold the volume- button and press the power button.
The M8 should show a blue screen and you can run the update-ite.bat file to update the firmware (screen color will change).
If it seems nothing is happening after pressing the keys reconnect the USB cable and you should get a blue tablet screen.

Hi everyone, i'm just arrived in android world.
I've got the same problem of Colonelzap. My beta realease doesn' t recognize gps
Duncasi, could you please suggest how to create the correct batch file "update-ite", please?
Well, it seems to me that the 1.0 signed version it's the same than 1.0 betafullcodecs... am i wrong? thanks.

Last edited:

Duncasi

Jun 30, 2011
Sorry, I overlooked the missing file, I'm quite busy recently.
You can download the Firmware from Merimobiles directly here: update-um2801-10beta-signed-4G.zip and change the file name in update-ite.bat, see remark in previous post #39
OR
Use the modified and repacked Zip file that I used for flashing my M8.

After updating the firmware you could notice a 'jumping mouse pointer' so to say, if so unplug the power cable and press the reset button for about 10 seconds.
This problem should be gone, I didn't notice this issue again, checked with 'Dev Tools - Pointer Location.

@pat81ok: You're right there is only one 1.0 version and it's the IUNIN_UM2801B_Froyo_1.0beta_fullCodec (see Settings - About device - Build number).

Last edited: