Hi all, bought a Nook Color today... so ummm, now what?

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
I've been hearing so much about the ability to "root" and turn it into a full fledged Android tablet, So today I bought two - one for my wife. SO, I am a *COMPLETE* NOOB to all this... so what build would you recommend and more importantly, how do you do it? I need totally idiot proof step-by-step instructions!

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Oh my, welcome to the addiction!

This is the video I followed when I rooted mine. The critical thing is to get the right image file for your version of the Nook. Once you have the right file, it really is that quick and easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mandroid

Sep 9, 2010
Best advice is to go here and read, read, read and read. When you think you got it read it again. Nook Color Technical
Trust me it is worth the time and effort. I have a very stable daily driver thanks to this forum....
Enjoy your NC and welcome...

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
While I don't yet have mine, my advice based on my research is to experiment with a ROM on your SD Card and once you have finalized your decision on what ROM to go with, then install it on your internal memory.

*awaits for people who know something to swoop in and correct me*

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010
Ok now which version OC's it to 1.1ghz? I installed a PNY 8gb SDHC card so I take it I have to remove it and format it? Also, as I understand it, it makes it faster if you install the new ROM on the internal memory rather than the card, correct?

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
Also, as I understand it, it makes it faster if you install the new ROM on the internal memory rather than the card, correct?

Yes, faster, and sometimes less glitchy. Some ROMs apparently are very difficult to get working in a stable manner on SD but work beautifully on internal memory.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
My advice...just root for now. Root your device, install a home launcher, find some apps and get to know your NC a little bit.

The custom ROM's aren't going anywhere. Learn a bit about how it works, and the in's and out's, then explore other ROM options. Figure out what you really want out of your NC...but don't do that on a ROM that needs nightly updates or worse.

Everyone is in such a rush to jump right to the fringes of OS's...no one takes the time to explore the incredible device they already have.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My advice...just root for now. Root your device, install a home launcher, find some apps and get to know your NC a little bit.

The custom ROM's aren't going anywhere. Learn a bit about how it works, and the in's and out's, then explore other ROM options. Figure out what you really want out of your NC...but don't do that on a ROM that needs nightly updates or worse.

Everyone is in such a rush to jump right to the fringes of OS's...no one takes the time to explore the incredible device they already have.

+1 Best advice you can get right here.

KDOG

Dec 29, 2010

Ok I don't understand. What do you mean just root? Don't you have to install a new ROM when you root? Confusion is setting in....

Jaxidian

Jan 7, 2011
+1 Best advice you can get right here.

Perhaps, for some. The entire reason I'm getting the NC is for the hacking of it and getting onto bleeding edge OSes. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bought one. ;)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Ok I don't understand. What do you mean just root? Don't you have to install a new ROM when you root? Confusion is setting in....

Rooting your device isn't installing a new custom ROM, it is opening up the root of your device to allow you more access to the actual Android operating system that is already on the device.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
+1 +1, Vic gives good advice.

Just a side note...kernels are usually OS and sometimes Rom specific. You need the correct one for what you are running. Read up on the (How To) clockwork thread in technical.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Perhaps, for some. The entire reason I'm getting the NC is for the hacking of it and getting onto bleeding edge OSes. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have bought one. ;)

You can sure do that...but like I said in another thread, when you move that far out into the wilderness, the availability of quick medical attention is severely diminished. For someone new to android, my advice stands, learn to crawl before you walk, and learn to walk before you run...

If that doesn't apply to you, cool...but for someone who says
SO, I am a *COMPLETE* NOOB to all this...
my advice is solid.