Hi and a little help.

Martyd16

Dec 18, 2010
Hi all my name is Marty, I have used linux for a few years now, and am now looking for a tablet. However, here is the rub, I am not looking for myself, but for my mother who is in a rehab center recovering from spinal surgery. so the short is this. she is a Luddite but she uses facebook and Gmail. also, because of her surgery she can't lift heavy books anymore so a light slate would be good. so my question is this I am looking for a relatively inexpensive slate that can be a good ebook reader, can handle FB and Gmail. and Skype (with vid) would be a bonus. I know I am asking for lot. and the kicker is that it has to be really easy to use. the touch interface has to be intuitive and not quirky. I have never used Android so any assistance would be helpful. My linux roots tell me that I want the most "open" platform I have read that some manufactures make upgrades a real pain or that you can't use just any app but the ones that they have ordained.. Thank you all for your thoughts and assistance.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Martyd16: First off... welcome to the forum!

There are some tablets on the market that you are able to use Skype with. A tablet for your mother I suggest you get a "capacitive" screen tablet. This will be similar to a Droid2, EVO 4G phone, or an iPad. A restive screen might be a bit hard for her to use.

What kind of price range are you looking at? Also, does the tablet need to be able to run Flash?

Martyd16

Dec 18, 2010
Hi and Thanks for the fast reply... I think + $200 would be about what i am looking for. as for Flash, obviously it would be nice but i don't think necessary.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
The first suggestion that I have for you is try to purchase a tablet in your area. You can get cheaper prices for Chinese tablets, but these have some down falls. Such as customer service problems, shipping delays, and other types of things. Although for the features that you want for around $200.00, you probably will have to purchase from a Chinese vendor. I am not aware of any $200.00 tablets that are capacitive and run flash.

If you want I could try to find you some tablets running flash and capacitive screens, although I am unsure the price will be exactly what you want. From a quick research, it appears the prices will range from $350 - $500 etc... The big factor here is capacitive screen, and this will cost extra.

I created a video tutorial on my website that explains the main features of tablets, and what features will cost you extra money. You can listen to the review at - 2011 Android Tables – What features to look for? | Tablet Videos - Videos of Tablets - 2011 Android Tablets