Hi Everybody!! Im a tablet newby, not overly computer savvy, not dumb, need help!!

WendiRN

May 21, 2012
OK, so I got my new tablet today! Im so excited! Its an Android super Flytouch VII, with Ice Cream Sandwhich OS, etc etc...Firsst thing, I live out in the sticks, WAY OUT! My home internet choices were dial up, (ugh NO) or satellite thru a wireless card. (Sprint). Well, I want to use my wireless card to access the web at home on my tablet. I didnt think this was such a big request. I bought an external disc drive, and have tried to uploaad the driver for my wireless card. I have tried plugging my wireless card and just seeing what would happen. (BTW-NOTHING happened!) Its like my tablet doesnt even recognize the drive, or the card. I went into town for wifi and it worked for a few seconds..until my battery died. I got this tablet because I wanted to be able to put apps on it, access the web while at home, and use it when I am in class, traveling, or whenever. Any suggestions?? Obviously, the internet is the priority issue, then I will worl on others. Please, Please help a girl out here!!!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy.

There are only a few 3G/4G air cards that will work with Android, and most I think are only Android 4.X. There is a list floating around the forum somewhere, I will see if I can find it.

You have a few options. If you can exchange with Sprint, go get a MiFi device. This takes the 3G/4G signal and converts it to 5 WiFi connections. You can leave it plugged into the charger in the wall and use it when you need it.

A second option is to get a WiFi router that has a USB port that can use it as a 3G modem. This will do basically the same thing and convert the 3G signal to WiFi.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I am just gonna reply to your visitor messages here.

WendiRN said:
Thank you so very much for getting back to me. So, if my air card does not work with Android, am I correct in thinking that the only way I can get Apps or any of the 'fun' stuff for my tablet is when I can get a wifi signal? This makes me sad because that makes it almost useless to me when i am at home. Are the components you mentioned expensive?? Is there a way to get Apps from my laptop, or my Android phone to my tablet?

The tablet is designed that it needs to be on the internet to get stuff on to it. There are some options depending on the specific tablet that you can tether via USB to a proper computer.

The USB router should only run about $50-75 USD at most. If your USB Sprint card is pretty new (within the return period) you should be able to go in and exchange it for a MiFi and only have to pay any difference for a MiFi vs USB (I got my MiFi 4G on Verizon for $30 last July).

You may be able to download some apps as .apk files on your laptop and transfer them over via microSD or USB, but if they are paid apps there is not a good way to pay for them to do this.

And depending on your phone, you may or may not be able to run them from the microSD and then put the microSD in the tablet and have them work. I know my tablet does not support apps on the microSD, not sure if yours does.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Wendi, welcome to Android Tablets and congratulations on your new Flytouch VII. Sorry to hear you're having problems getting it on the internet. I think the MiFi device suggested by Federuco is your best option here, but just in case we're missing something I'm going to move your thread over to the Android Tablet Q&A section to see if anyone else has any suggestions that might work for you. Good luck!

May 5, 2012
I am a newbie myself, but if I am understanding your question, there may be another way. If you can get a 3G or 4G phone signal, many phones can be used as the wifi hotspot ontheir own. It is like another app on the phone. Most companies charge a monthly fee if you do this often, but I have not been charged by T-Mobile for my occasional use of it from my HTC myTouch 4G slide (also an android OS). Sprint has phones that do this too, but sadly they charge I think $30/month, one of the highest. Verizon's deal was better if you don' t get GSM digital signal where you are. you need to keep an eye on data usage too if other than Sprint, as overage charges are steep (AT&T is worst for those charges).

J

jimbo7630

I have to concur with the MiFi option, and remember, you can take it with you to School or wherever.