Hi everyone, yes another "oldie struggling "

itspaul

Dec 14, 2013
Hello I,m Paul Hope you can help,

Hi, as an oldie I do struggle to understand technology, however my wife and myself are

having a driving holiday in California and surrounding states and wish to forward book our

accommodation and search for it while on the move, how can we do so using our just bought Google Nexus 7 / 32 sec gen

android tablet. Can we have mobile internet and can this tablet be used as a phone, we are from England.Oh and I hope the cost isn't too prohibitive
Many thanks
Paul :confused:

[email protected]

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

The Nexus 7 is a tablet, not a phone, however there are some apps on the Google Store that will allow IP phone calls, Skype is the most popular but there are others. They all require a WiFi connection. As for mobile Internet your choices are, find a free WiFi access point, get a portable WiFi hotspot, or tether to a smart phone to use its data.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Paul, congratulations on your new Nexus 7 and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you as a member of Android Tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Android Tablet Q&A section for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

Vic42

Dec 18, 2013
Hi, I'm new here, too. I wanted to use my laptop at a river cabin, with no phone service. I bought the Internet on the Go hotspot device from my local Walmart. It's very small, about the size of a few credit cards stacked on each other. You buy the device outright (<$100). It sometimes comes with a small amount of data. Mine has no monthly fee, but they may have changed that. Think I saw it was maybe $7 a month + buy the data when needed. You can add more data as needed, either buy a card at Walmart, or online at the Internet on the Go website, with a credit card. As long as you avoid videos and photos, the data lasts a long time. I use about 1GB per month, and I'm on a lot. It runs on Sprint service. If it doesn't work in your location, it needs returned within 2 weeks, so be sure to check it out before the 2 weeks is up. The data doesn't run out, will last for 1 year from the last time you accessed the hotspot. I've been quite happy with it, and Sprint works all over in my area. It's very fast as long as an EvDO signal is available, comparable to my AT&T U-Verse. So for about $10 per month, I get wifi most everywhere I go.