Hi Guys, Question, Is the eLocity A7-004 7-Inch Tablet Good for a Beginner?

Livermoron

Oct 29, 2012
Yes, the Elocity A7+ (A7-004) will work good for the uses you described. It will not be upgraded past Froyo by the manufacturer but some of the devs. are working on stuff that may or may not come to fruition. There are a couple custom ROMs for it as well as hacks to get Market. Google now thinks mine is a Nexus 7 and I've been able to install Minecraft PE from Market (but can't from Amazon). The prices are still coming down ($70 1 Sale a Day last week) - although I wonder how many units are left out there.

Just wondering if this would be good for watching videos and playing puzzle games or angry birds? Mostly playing videos though. Also is it upgradeable at all or would it be stuck at Froyo?

Amazon.com: eLocity A7-004 7-Inch Tablet Computer - Black: Computers & Accessories

Thanks for the help, still haven't bought one yet and this one is tempting.

acegeezer

Oct 24, 2012
You would be better with 1GB of ram and DDR3.. instead of the 512mb and DDR2 on offer, plus 4gb doesn't leave too much room for maneuver and no wifi either.
If it will do for what you need fine, but if you wanted more later on it won't do, but you do get what you pay for!

Livermoron

Oct 29, 2012
No - these do have WiFi and Bluetooth. They stream Netflix very well (haven't tried the Bluetooth yet though). Again, for just watching videos (streaming or ripped dvds), playing games like Angrybirds, or web surfing these work fine (or better than others in the same current price range). And 512 mb for apps is fine as well since if you are doing those things mentioned you won't need a bunch of apps. Also, these support upto 64 GB USB and 32 GB micro SD.

acegeezer

Oct 24, 2012
Well, with addition of WiFi, that's probably OK.. I was considering the potential for future usage too, if there was a need to expand further!

Livermoron

Oct 29, 2012
That is a good point - but for $70-90 odds are if you work your way up to needing to expand enough time will have gone by where another similar size investment will get you something that much better plus you'll be much more familiar with what to look for. I bought 4 of these for about $80 each over a 3-4 week period and then bought a Toshiba Thrive for $159 - the Toshiba is more than 2x as good as an Elocity - but I'd choose 2 Elocities over 1 Thrive.