Hidden Gingerbread Interface in Honeycomb; Unlock With Higher Density LCD Settings

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, May 20, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here's a bit of interesting news for you technophiles that like to monkey around with your tablets. Apparently, their is a "hidden feature" within Honeycomb that allows you to "activate" an experimental Gingerbread interface. This is done by simply changing the pixel density settings of your Honeycomb tablet from 160 dpi to 170 dpi, and voila, you can play with a Gingerbread look to your UI. Here's a quote from Engadget explaining how the tweak works,
    This seems pretty nifty. Be sure to share in the forums what you think of this if you "monkey around" with it. Here's a video demo below:

Source: Engadget

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
  2. OffWorld

OffWorld Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Haipad M701-R, Augen Gentouch 78 (returned it)
    Yeah, I noticed the change in interfaces when the Honeycomb Preview Release came out. It was the reason I didn't really buy into Google's claims that Honeycomb was a "tablet only" operating system and that they needed time to get the phone version working (which I recall hearing was one of the reasons cited for why they weren't releasing the source code). Granted the phone UI didn't seem any more fully baked than the tablet UI at the time, but it clearly existed.

3. pbrauer

pbrauer Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Thunderbolt, ViewSonic GTab, Huawei S7, Gentouch 78
    so i just tested it....and yep. My g-tablet's pretty honeycomb UI was gone and i was back to gingerbread. Everything was there just like before, had to go to settings->about just to make sure it was really still running 3.0.1.

So....it works...but why would you want it too??? ;)