Hip Street 7" Ebook HS-M701-4GB

Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

First time poster...been following the site for a few years.

Just picked up a $59 Hip Street tablet from Walmart. Noticed that it is running RK28XX based upon the installed driver in windows 7. Anyone tried hacking this thing yet? I've only found one other post on here about this tablet but no info.

I came across this tutorial on rooting RK28XX devices:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/rockchip-based/439-how-unpack-repack-custom-firmwares-rockchip-rk28xx.html

I
'm thinking of trying this...but the newbie in must ask what will that mean for me? Will I continue to use the OS on the device or can I install alternate versions of the OS? I'm fairly certain it means I can install modified versions of the OS... but the newb in me forces to ask.

Also looking through Dealextreme this appears to be a similar tablet to another tablet that claims to use the Wexler T7001 OS...but no real evidence to prove that.

Hope this starts some good conversation. Cheers.

Sep 18, 2011
BTW - I've been listening to Moves Like Jagger on this unit for 30 minutes straight...hence my handle :) This is a nice little unit btw - PDFs, epub, mp3, and AVI are all decent for $59...just saying :)

cybersaga

Oct 7, 2011
A friend of mine just got this one. I was hoping to do something with it. It's pretty basic. At first, it doesn't look like it's running Android, but then I saw this on the company's FAQ page:

Can I install Android Apps on the M702 Wifi E-Reader?
You can install Android Apps on this eReader.

So then, maybe it does run a severely crippled version of Android? If so, there might be a way to update it.

Of course, that is the M702, but it doesn't look too different than the M701. Just looks like it has a few more features.

Last edited: